Photo

Is there any way to disable the start button?

win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:08

I was thinking there was supposed to be a way to disable the start button but I have not seen it. Did I miss that setting or have they not implemented that feature yet?

#2 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:10

You can't.

#3 OP Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:11

You can't.

Dang. That sucks I am not liking the start button taking up space on the task bar it just does not look right.

#4 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:29

Good grief! So many people wanted it to be brought back, now folks want to disable it again. There's gratitude for ya!

Mind you, if you're using a 3rd party add-on to restore the Start button/menu, the new default Start button is a bit surplus.

#5 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:31

Dang. That sucks I am not liking the start button taking up space on the task bar it just does not look right.

It has been there for 18 years, I don't know about you but it looks perfectly normal there to me. :p

#6 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:34

Come one dude... be progressive and accept the change. MS knows the best and move out of no start tip era. Give it some time and you will starting to like it. May be I think you are not doing it right.

#7 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:34

I'm sure we'll find a way.

It's actually nice on the RT because I can get the power user menu without having to fold out the type cover.  On my desktop though it's just superfluous. :-\

By the way, I didn't want it back to begin with, and I think anyone that did is a luddite, so, no, I'm not ungrateful.   I don't want it. 

#8 OP Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:35

It has been there for 18 years, I don't know about you but it looks perfectly normal there to me. :p

I have adjusted to windows 8 since I installed my RTM copy I got from MSDN and like not having a start button better. I actually really like the hot corners and the start screen and not to mention the better multi-monitor support. I really don't why people don't like it. That just the way modern design is going. Any time I have to use Windows 7 I actually hate using it.

It's actually nice on the RT because I can get the power user menu without having to fold out the type cover.  On my desktop though it's just superfluous. :-\

By the way, I didn't want it back to begin with, and I think anyone that did is a luddite, so, no, I'm not ungrateful.   I don't want it. 

Same here.

#9 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:42

I got use to it not being there since the CP, and I prefer it hidden, so if there's ever a bizarro Start 8 program, I'll look into it. 

Good grief! So many people wanted it to be brought back, now folks want to disable it again. There's gratitude for ya!

Mind you, if you're using a 3rd party add-on to restore the Start button/menu, the new default Start button is a bit surplus.

Huh? Were the same people calling for its return now asking for it to be disabled?

Come on, man. I know you have a poor attitude towards anything anti-Microsoft, but it's OK to admit that they kind of goofed here. I mean, you just admitted that the reintroduction for the start button got rid of some unnecessary steps when invoking the power user menu (a menu I use often), and then called anyone who wanted it back a name. I say, damn what the Luddites wanted and keep flipping that cover out to get to that menu.

#10 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:54

No start button is so 2012. People just won't accept change. Oh wait

#11 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:54

Huh? Were the same people calling for its return now asking for it to be disabled?

Did you not feel the draft when my earlier, slightly sarcastic, comment flew right over your head ... ?

#12 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:02

nah - its only the Windows 8/metro fanboi's who have been abusing everyone who wanted it back since day 1, that are calling for it to be removed. Most likely they don't even use the desktop environment. preferring metro to play simplistic games.

#13 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:06

nah - its only the Windows 8/metro fanboi's who have been abusing everyone who wanted it back since day 1, that are calling for it to be removed. Most likely they don't even use the desktop environment. preferring metro to play simplistic games.

I like Windows 8 / Metro, never "abused" those who wanted the Start Button back, and I mainly use the "desktop environment".  :)  .

#14 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:15

nvm, nothing to see here.. :rofl:

#15 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: Sony Xperia M2 LTE-A D2306

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:56

There isn't. But I sure do wish there was. I would like to install Start8. :(