Is there any way to disable the start button?

I was thinking there was supposed to be a way to disable the start button but I have not seen it. Did I miss that setting or have they not implemented that feature yet?

You can't.

Dang. That sucks I am not liking the start button taking up space on the task bar it just does not look right.

• Like 2

Good grief! So many people wanted it to be brought back, now folks want to disable it again. There's gratitude for ya!

Mind you, if you're using a 3rd party add-on to restore the Start button/menu, the new default Start button is a bit surplus.

• Like 1

Dang. That sucks I am not liking the start button taking up space on the task bar it just does not look right.

It has been there for 18 years, I don't know about you but it looks perfectly normal there to me. :P

Come one dude... be progressive and accept the change. MS knows the best and move out of no start tip era. Give it some time and you will starting to like it. May be I think you are not doing it right.

I'm sure we'll find a way.

It's actually nice on the RT because I can get the power user menu without having to fold out the type cover.  On my desktop though it's just superfluous. :-\

By the way, I didn't want it back to begin with, and I think anyone that did is a luddite, so, no, I'm not ungrateful.   I don't want it. 

• Like 2

It has been there for 18 years, I don't know about you but it looks perfectly normal there to me. :p

I have adjusted to windows 8 since I installed my RTM copy I got from MSDN and like not having a start button better. I actually really like the hot corners and the start screen and not to mention the better multi-monitor support. I really don't why people don't like it. That just the way modern design is going. Any time I have to use Windows 7 I actually hate using it.

It's actually nice on the RT because I can get the power user menu without having to fold out the type cover.  On my desktop though it's just superfluous. :-\

By the way, I didn't want it back to begin with, and I think anyone that did is a luddite, so, no, I'm not ungrateful.   I don't want it. 

Same here.

• Like 1

I got use to it not being there since the CP, and I prefer it hidden, so if there's ever a bizarro Start 8 program, I'll look into it. 

Good grief! So many people wanted it to be brought back, now folks want to disable it again. There's gratitude for ya!

Mind you, if you're using a 3rd party add-on to restore the Start button/menu, the new default Start button is a bit surplus.

Huh? Were the same people calling for its return now asking for it to be disabled?

Come on, man. I know you have a poor attitude towards anything anti-Microsoft, but it's OK to admit that they kind of goofed here. I mean, you just admitted that the reintroduction for the start button got rid of some unnecessary steps when invoking the power user menu (a menu I use often), and then called anyone who wanted it back a name. I say, damn what the Luddites wanted and keep flipping that cover out to get to that menu.

Huh? Were the same people calling for its return now asking for it to be disabled?

Did you not feel the draft when my earlier, slightly sarcastic, comment flew right over your head ... ?

nah - its only the Windows 8/metro fanboi's who have been abusing everyone who wanted it back since day 1, that are calling for it to be removed. Most likely they don't even use the desktop environment. preferring metro to play simplistic games.

nah - its only the Windows 8/metro fanboi's who have been abusing everyone who wanted it back since day 1, that are calling for it to be removed. Most likely they don't even use the desktop environment. preferring metro to play simplistic games.

I like Windows 8 / Metro, never "abused" those who wanted the Start Button back, and I mainly use the "desktop environment".  :)  .

There isn't. But I sure do wish there was. I would like to install Start8. :(

There isn't. But I sure do wish there was. I would like to install Start8. :(

I am disappointed that they did not add the option to disable it. I have really grown to love the Metro/Modern interface.

Fairly unsurprisingly, the people wanting to remove the start button are probably not the ones who wanted it back..

its always hard to accept the reality. things are chnaging and making it more difficult...but yeah in time it will be acceptable.lol <forcely>  :laugh: you can manage it for sure.

It's interesting... the tone of people disappointed that the Start button is back is markedly different from those that complained of it's disappearance.

Less shrill, less exasperated, less "this is the end of the world" :)

• Like 3

I agree that the benefit of having it there, at least on a touch device, is that you can now access the power user menu without issue.  That's about it though.

I like Windows 8 / Metro, never "abused" those who wanted the Start Button back, and I mainly use the "desktop environment".  :)  .

Liking W8/Metro does not make one a fanboy. Blind devotion to a product/corporation and dismissal of any criticism does. Throwing insults is a nice bonus too.

Anyway, it's funny seeing the start button being forced on. MS still doesn't comprehend the value of giving options to the users.

Wait.. so *insert millions* who cried for the button and finally got it now there's a new problem, how to disable it? What the..

I participated in a similar discussion yesterday. Although the premise of the thread was different because the OP had a slightly different goal, a couple of the suggested solutions might be relevant to your request. In particular try Start Killer; it might work on Windows 8.1.

Liking W8/Metro does not make one a fanboy. Blind devotion to a product/corporation and dismissal of any criticism does. Throwing insults is a nice bonus too.

Exactly the point.  I didn't fit into any one of his preset categories and would still like a way to get rid of the start button.