Photo

Is there any way to disable the start button?

win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:51

Just in case somebody from Microsoft is reading this, please take note. People want CHOICE.
:argh:

This. They really don't need to go to either extreme, just allow people the ability to choose what they want. The should have realised that people were going to kick up a fuss about the start button after seeing the outcry when they removed the start menu.

But this thread isn't about that. The OP asked a question, and it appears to be a "no" for now.

#32 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 64

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:59

Thing is though, it's also built into the sidebar which shows the gadgets too, so I doubt it's easy to remove. For me it just creates an easier target for the Start screen than what Windows 8 has, I also no longer accidently click on the first icon in the taskbar after it anymore (like I did all the time in 8) ;)

#33 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 July 2013 - 13:14

Has to be one of the craziest questions ever! It was totally ignorant for MS to just up and remove it to begin with, so they put it back and you HAD a choice too.  Shouldn't have installed Windows 8.1. That mostly what that was all about anyway. Suffer the consequences now, or uninstall 8.1, if possible.

I DID NOT like the start button being removed and am glad as heck they put it back, even if I don't use Windows 8.I have worked on some, mostly to downgrade it to Windows 7, and have used 8 and personally, I think it's almost as junky and crappy as Vista was! It will be a long time before I upgrade to it.

In fact, Windows 8 has helped me finally decide to switch back to Linux, on a couple of my machines! :)

#34 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 July 2013 - 15:36

It helps with accessing the new power user menu when you're on touch since you can press and hold the button now to bring it up.  There was no way to do that before without a mouse or kb shortcut.   So that's about the only gain for users on a touch device.   I agree that the option to remove it would be nice and I expect they'll add that, just not in 8.1 probably.    Besides I think they're working on adding all the new "navigation" options, that you only find on the desktop taskbar properties box into the new PC Settings screen in the future.

#35 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2013 - 15:56

Just in case somebody from Microsoft is reading this, please take note. People want...

CHOICE
:argh:

The thing about to choice, is that very few users aside from probably us on here would know they have a choice. I still get questions from friends that didn't know they could personalize the theme and colors in Windows 7

#36 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2013 - 16:12

Check boxes must be expensive to implement or something.

#37 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 04 July 2013 - 16:27

Thing is though, it's also built into the sidebar which shows the gadgets too, so I doubt it's easy to remove. For me it just creates an easier target for the Start screen than what Windows 8 has, I also no longer accidently click on the first icon in the taskbar after it anymore (like I did all the time in 8) ;)

This right here.  I used to mis-click all the damn time when trying to go to start.  Since installing 8.1 I have ZERO mis-clicks.  Plus everyone I've shown 8.1 to now automatically knows how to get back to the start screen, whereas these same people couldn't figure out where the control was to do so in Windows 8.