Good 64GB Flash Drive?

Been looking at upgrading my 16GB flash drive to a 64GB flash drive and having trouble deciding which one to get.

Currently my main system is only USB 2.0, but I would like a bit of future-proofing by getting a 3.0 drive. I would also like an aluminum body for the shock resistance and extra durability but it is not a major point (two flash drives with similar performance, I would take the one with the aluminum body, but performance comes before form).

I've been looking around but all the reviews I can find are a bit dated, I'm not sure if there are newer/better drives out there....it seems the best overall performer is the SanDisk Cruzer Extreme, but I don't like that it's plastic and some people seem to have issues with the slide.

Next up is the Mushkin Ventura Pro, it seems to be a pretty good balance of performance:price (need to stay under $100, under $80 would be idea) and it has the aluminum body.

Then there's the Patriot Supersonic Boost XT, and some Kingston drives that just don't seem to edge out the Ventura Pro IMO but I'm open to opinions/recommendations.

I don't heavily (as in constant day-to-day) use flash drives, but occasionally I will need to throw a few things on them for transfers between disconnected computers or use a few utilities I store on them.

Any suggestions?

"but occasionally I will need to throw a few things on them for transfers between disconnected computers or use a few utilities I store on them."

To be honest seems like your over thinking it a bit much.. You mention the mushkin, I show it here with 5 eggs with 46 reviews for $55, well under your $80 budget..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226228

Read Speed

Up to 120MB/s

Write Speed

Up to 70MB/s

That seems pretty freaking fast to me for something you "occasionally" use ;) Even though you wont see those until you update to usb 3. Has your alum body, while the sandisk is like 15$ more and gets nowhere near the same level of reviews..

Why have you not ordered it already?

To be honest seems like your over thinking it a bit much.. You mention the mushkin, I show it here with 5 eggs with 46 reviews for $55, well under your $80 budget..

Why have you not ordered it already?

I tend to do that before I purchase things.....I like researching before I buy things and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask around and see what some of the more experienced people on Neowin think about current flash drives.

The only other bothersome thing about the Mushkin is you cannot use a lanyard and attach the cover to the back of the drive (for storage of the cover while the drive is in use).....but, in the years I've been using Flash drives, I have never once attached a lanyard to any of them so it's pretty much a non-issue.

"I have never once attached a lanyard to any of them so it's pretty much a non-issue."

And again why are you even bringing it up.. Again you clearly stated your a occasional user - why are you bringing up non-issues about a drive that clearly meets your criteria. But think about it for a second - if the lanyard connected to the cover - you could loose the drive vs the cover. Which one would you rather loose? ;)

Its FAST, its USB 3, it has an Aluminum body - gets GREAT reviews and well under your budget.. Its a flash drive under $100, not your next new car.. Or K dollar PC or Laptop, TV, etc.

There is nothing wrong with doing a bit of research, then again there is a point where you have to say its $50 -- not like your getting a mortgage for the next 30 years ;)

BTW - show it a couple dollars cheaper at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Ventura-Pro-Flash-Drive/dp/B005BGKAGC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372520090&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Mushkin+Enhanced+Ventura+Pro+64GB+USB+3.0+Flash+Drive+Model+MKNUFDVP64GB+-+Newegg.com

Plenty of great drives out there. Make sure you get a USB3 with over 100MB/s read/write. I have (and really love) my Sandisk Extreme. It is really cheap here in Australia (compared to the others) and really fast =)

Hello,

I have used both the Patriot and Corsair USB 3.0 flash drives, both of which have rubberized coatings, and they hold up quite well. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky