Slipping clutch?

Hi,

I hope there's some petrol heads on here who may be able to shed some light on a problem I'm having. I have a 2008 Audi A3 S Line TDI, it's recently started developing like a resistance. Basically, it seems to move normally in 1st gear but once you go into the higher gears the revs build but the MPH is extremely slow to follow. There was a smell of burn coming from under the bonnet earlier after driving a little. I recently painted the calipers and was worried the paint may have seized the brakes, jacked it up on each corner and manually spun the wheels and they spin freely.

I put it into 4th with the handbrake on and was able to fully release the clutch and build 3k revs without stalling.

Can someone confirm is this is 99% a clutch problem?

Thanks.

The best test for a slipping clutch is to go out on the highway (or a main road), put it in top gear at lowish RPMs, then floor it. If the tach clearly jumps, the clutch is slipping. If the car pulls without jumping RPMs, it's not the clutch.

Also, clutch burning has a very distinct smell compared to other types of burning, if you have a nose for it. If it doesn't slip on the highway, it's possible one of your filters (air, more likely) has something blocking it, preventing the car from getting enough air at higher speeds. It's also possible, since you have a TDI, that something is wrong with the turbo.

If you can release the clutch in gear with the car standing still then the clutch is gubbed.

How many miles?

Are you "riding" the clutch pedal when you are driving? that wouldnt help, and would cause excess wear, as would slipping the clutch while driving round town instead of changing to a lower gear, Also burnouts, or driving in too high a gear for the speed over prolonged mileage

• Like 1

Sounds like the clutch to me, I had a very similar issue in my last car, pulled okish in 1st, but if I put my foot down in 2nd or 3rd as you described rev's would go up (faster than normal), but speed would increase far more slowly than normal...get it into a garage..

Mine was in an old car so I just kept going and eventually the clutch exploded and I lost all my gears had to get recovered.

Also, clutch burning has a very distinct smell compared to other types of burning, if you have a nose for it. If it doesn't slip on the highway, it's possible one of your filters (air, more likely) has something blocking it, preventing the car from getting enough air at higher speeds. It's also possible, since you have a TDI, that something is wrong with the turbo.

as threetonesun said a burning /slipping clutch is a very distinct smell

A3 is popular so clutch wont be that expensive

as threetonesun said a burning /slipping clutch is a very distinct smell

A3 is popular so clutch wont be that expensive

Except its an Audi which makes is a nice expensive German part, and the Sline model may have a nicer clutch than the standard A3...

Either way its the fitting (labour costs) that will kill you, I think my last replacement was about ?80 for the clutch and then several hundred for the labour.

Except its an Audi which makes is a nice expensive German part, and the Sline model may have a nicer clutch than the standard A3...

Either way its the fitting (labour costs) that will kill you, I think my last replacement was about ?80 for the clutch and then several hundred for the labour.

Clutch kit from euro car parts is ?120 roughly

would get it cheaper on ebay

Diesel engines are notorious for replacing clutches it can sometimes be a full day job

Right, clutches are cheap, it's getting it put in, and hoping it gets done correctly, that costs a fortune. 

• 5 weeks later...

Sline will have the same clutch... sline is just the trim!

Just had the clutch and DMF replaced on my mondeo ST220 = ?600!