Swearing. For, against, or indifferent?

There is a topic in the "site issues" forum about people circumventing the swear filter and some people started to express their views about swearing so I thought instead of going OT in there, I would make a topic here. I am just wondering how people feel about swearing.

I'll express my personal views later as right now I am kind of pressed for time. Have at it, ****ers...

(I didn't swear there, I typed the asterisks myself!)

Indifferent. Swearing doesn't offend me at all but I feel no burning desire to be able to swear in my posts either.

• Like 6

Indifferent. I'm not nearly as offended by swear words as some folks in the thread in S&FI are.

Swearing is a extreme negative way to verbally communicate your frustrations but many people take it as offensive.

When people swear at me, I do take offense but then accept it as their way of verbal-ling their frustrations. I work as a cashier and I have had my share of customers swearing at me. 5 seconds later, I forgot what it was about.

We are in a world where swearing is slowing becoming acceptable in society.

Swearing is a extreme negative way to verbally communicate your frustrations but many people take it as offensive.

When people swear at me, I do take offense but then accept it as their way of verbal-ling their frustrations. I work as a cashier and I have had my share of customers swearing at me. 5 seconds later, I forgot what it was about.

To be fair, as long as it's not overdone the odd expletive here and there can be used to add emphasis to a sentence, so it doesn't always have the be questioned. Normally I'm not a big fan of swear filtering I'll admit but the staff want to keep Neowin as work friendly as possible and that I can understand.

• Like 2

I think there's a difference between swearing at someone directly (which would presumably fall under the personal attack rules) and swearing about something in general.  I don't think that swearing is necessarily negative - if used in moderation it can be an ideal way to express a feeling and, depending on the situation, swearing can be quite humorous and a good way to lighten the mood.

• Like 2

On a forum I don't think swearing is needed at all, to me it just brings the over all quality of the community down. When I randomly come across someone on a forum saying "f" this, "f" that I think to myself "shut up, no one cares".

In real life i'm indifferent, unless someone is swearing at me it doesn't bother me either way. Lets be honest we probably all have at some point. What I don't like is people who swear all the time and feel the need to in every other sentence, that to me gets annoying fast.

Well I should ****ing think that if you can't deal with a little ****ing bad ****ing language, you are a right ****ing ****..

Which is to say: It's a part of the language, and people will choose to like to dislike it as they see fit; but it's part of the language, so you can't really stop it.

Being anoyed at people for using such language is a complete waste of time.

/shrug

Interesting side note, there was a finding by an Australian court that the only word which is still obscene is "****" which is a the c-word for vagina. Every other word has been integrated as common usage in our society, thus can't be considered obscene.

So **** the lot of you in other words :p

I think there's a difference between swearing at someone directly (which would presumably fall under the personal attack rules) and swearing about something in general.  I don't think that swearing is necessarily negative - if used in moderation it can be an ideal way to express a feeling and, depending on the situation, swearing can be quite humorous and a good way to lighten the mood.

I agree with this most thoroughly. Intent is important.

There's a big difference between saying "**** you ****" and "That ****ing hurt".

I don't think moderation is a requirement, but each to their own >.<

For me one-on-one I'm indifferent, I'm pretty colorful in my speech in person a lot of times, I grew up in a military environment, etc, I've heard it all and it doesn't bother me.  In a public setting though (forums included) I'm inclined to censor myself, there may be kids around and such, and personally don't approve of it.  If you have to resort to showing off how many four letter words you know to win a stupid "which phone is better" argument, you already lost.  As tempting as it is to tell some of the trolls/idiots here to do something that's either illegal in 48 states and/or anatomically impossible, I'll usually cut it down to a simple "derp" as I'd rather not try to explain what I just wrote to my daugther if she saw it.

There may a time and place for it, and I swear once in a while and usually when I'm mad/frustrated to the max.

Now, my wife's family has some of the filthiest mouths I've ever heard in my life. My wife is a goody 2 shoes and almost never even says hell, but her 1 brother and 3 sisters can't complete a sentence without an "f" this or "f" that just about TWICE in every sentence!

Her youngest sister even got fired from a very well paying job for her filthy mouth, but it didn't slow her down a bit. Used to get in arguements with wife about taking our son to visit them, when he was a youngster!

That kind of vulgarity is just plain obnoxious and unnecessary!

Indifferent, although some people take it a bit too far.

Indifferent.  However, excess cursing from a person or group of people can start to get annoying.  I curse but try to limit it depending on the setting or who I'm talking to.

I, personally, swear alot when doing online gaming (damn you sucky teams in LoL grrr :D) and it (kind of) helps me relieve the anger :D.

Around my family or colleagues I/we swear not so often, except the occasional "sh*t" or "f*ck" when something bad happens.

When other people go on a ranting-spree I usually don't care, unless it attacks me personally.

I am not offended by swearing, but it can be overdone.  There are some people I work with (mainly women) who swear too much for no reason.

I have no problems with swearing, between being in the Military and working support for a NY based ISP I have heard and been called everything under the sun, it doesn't bother me, they are words that people CHOOSE to care about more than others, hell you have people trying to ban regular words, and yet they haven't managed to ban "bad" words, the best thing to do is not care and move on, life is too short to care about non issues like words 

I have no problem with the swear filter, mostly because I can figure out what is being said anyway.

But yeah, there are times I use the f-word like I use punctuation.

Very against it personally and for others however, I only am against it since it is seen as wrong in our culture... if it wasn't would it still be swearing?