Dead (or dying) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I bought the wife her Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in December 2011. She uses it daily.

Today it seemingly died on her - wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on. We went in to town, came home & she plugged it in & it charged & is now working again, but obviously this is showing signs of being on its last legs. She's been saying for a little while that it seems slower & is running out of charge quicker.

Can these things get repaired or is it a case of once they die, they're dead?

She's said for a bit now that when it does eventually die, it'll be an iPad she'll replace it with. Obviously though, it wont necessarily be the same day, or even week, month etc as not everyone is in a position to just go out & spend ?400 without thinking about it (& yes, ?400 - we're UK based :))

She'd probably wait until the next iPad came out anyway as we're guessing it'd be similar price, but still - this cost about ?450 IIRC, so to only last 18 months or so is really quite poor. My iPhone 3GS which i bought mid 2010 & now my brother has is still running strong & that gets hammered & charged every single day.

Could be the battery is almost dead, I've got a samsung tab here not sure if it's the 10.1 or whatnot and pretty sure you can replace the battery, there's 2 plastic covers on the bottom next to the charging port which I assume have screws that allow the back panel to come off and then it'd be a case of getting a replacement battery (check ebay!)

One problem that is apparently common with samsung tabs is the internal soldered SD card gives up, there's a few threads on the net about how to fix it but it basically involves opening it up, removing the chip and using a microsd card at all times.

Sometimes a factory reset will liven up an old TAB, but be aware you need to backup all important data as this will put it back in out of box condition.