• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:40

Hey, after my computer froze 5 times during doing Libre Impress (Powerpoint) work with ~100 pictures, I really need more RAM in this thing. Currently have 4GB DDR3 1333 in it, running Debian Wheezy x64. It's an Acer Aspire 5750.

Looking on Crucial, it says that my max is 8GB, with 2 slots.

Now, I look at Neowin. I want some good RAM, not the never-heard-of-names. I see these 3 reputable brands, Corsair, Patriot, and G.Skill. They all have the same exact specs and price. Same lifetime warranty, all free shipping.

http://www.newegg.co...145-281:$$$$$$$

Then I noticed there was a Mushkin that was $2 cheaper, but has a lower voltage, 1.32 instead of 1.5. Does this matter as well? I'm a bit off on laptop memory.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226343

I've always, since DDR2, been a G.Skill junkie. Only ever buy the Ripjaws and X series for all my desktops. :)

#2 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 30 June 2013 - 18:35

Low voltage 1.35V modules (also DDR3L) are used in ultrabooks to cut down on power. Don't know if it helps, probably does, but not much.

Starting with Arrandale (mobile Sandies), most laptops should support them. And even if they don't, the standard expects them to work at 1.5V anyway.

I'd probably go with G.Skill, though, solely because of world-wide good rep. (Y)

Mushkin isn't that popular where I am, so I don't have any meaningful info or experience.

#3 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:29

Corsair enjoys the reputation of being the best, but all the big brands incl. G Skill and Mushkin should be just fine.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!