Photo

Girl buys water, spends night in jail

virginia alcohol beverage control undercover agents gun pulled break the windows

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:26

that just seams all sorts of crazy and even if it was a legit case of under aged alcohol purchase why are they after her and not the cashier and why would they use such excessive force.

#17 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,039 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:26

She's lucky they didn't taze or shoot her. The police are completely out of control.

#18 king_of_hearts

king_of_hearts

Neowinian

• 200 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:31

This story is ridiculous.

Serious abuse of power/authority.  

#19 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:33

Jumping on her Car, Guns drawn? For potentially underage drinking? Seriously?

This is the sad state of the country we live in now. There should NEVER be a time where an officer of any field of law raises a gun to you or even attempts to stop your or communicate with you without first showing proper identification. If I had 6 fools jumping on my car with guns I'd take the hell off too. It's fine to be undercover, but when you find a target you want to pursue, CLEARLY announce that you are a law enforcement officer and show your badge immediately, not after.

I'm not really a big fan of frivolous lawsuits, but I'd wait for my case to be dropped, which SURELY it will be, then I'd sue the city for "emotional hardship" or whatever crap they use as excuses now. Police are getting out of control in this country. Protect and serve is the job, not lurk and attack.

#20 pickypg

pickypg

Neowinian

• 1,487 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:35

Welcome to the Charlottesville police. Having been there many years ago, I can safely say that you never wanted to even give the impression of doing something wrong around the police there because of the results.

They are well known for setting of speed traps (around sudden speed limit drops), overstepping and general incompetence. The area is rather snotty, and I have always suspected that much of the police force was made up of exactly what people assume them to be: bullies in the area that could not make it out of the area after High School, and their level of enforcement is simply payback.  Unfortunately, snotty areas or not, this seems to be an ever-growing problem in police departments across the US.  With that said, I have been roommates with multiple VA State Troopers, and I have seen both the good and the bad there; the good does still exist.

She should sue the police department, and each one of these officers should at least be suspended without pay to cover any losses.  Such people need to be given the boot as soon as possible.

#21 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• 2,997 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:55

6 officers even if she was underage drinking is just insane, pulling a gun is even worse. 21 is a stupid drinking age limit anyway

Ain't the "land of the free" great?

#22 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,915 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 20:02

Very interesting that the officers decided to press...  It really says a lot about their character.

#23 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,179 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 20:09

My argument here would be that they didn't clearly identify themselves as police officers before attempting the arrest.  As such, she has every human right (and instinct when faced with a gun) to flee.

#24 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• 296 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 6 (IOS8)

Posted 01 July 2013 - 20:29

Pretty easy to see why they were so panicked. 

Daly and the other passengers had just come from a “Take Back the Night” event on campus, where they heard the testimonies of dozens of survivors of sexual assaults and other violent attacks. With the details of those crimes fresh in their minds, the women believed that their safety was in danger.

http://www.rawstory....-assault-rally/

#25 max22

max22

Neowinian

• 1,246 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 20:32

6 officers even if she was underage drinking is just insane, pulling a gun is even worse. 21 is a stupid drinking age limit anyway

I disagree. I think the drinking age should be 25 at least.

#26 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,504 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 20:34

Pulled a gun, attempted to smash the windows, confused sparkling water for beer. You don't have to be a hooligan to be a cop

#27 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• 2,997 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:31

Pulled a gun, attempted to smash the windows, confused sparkling water for beer. You don't have to be a hooligan to be a cop

Just an idiot.

#28 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,105 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:36

Jumping on her Car, Guns drawn? For potentially underage drinking? Seriously?

This story is ridiculous.

Serious abuse of power/authority.  

Pff yeah  :|

#29 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,004 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:40

I disagree. I think the drinking age should be 25 at least.

There would still be older punks, selling to younger punks. ;)

#30 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 22:22

I think any semi-reasonable Judge (and there are still a few out there) would, even if they found her guilty, wave all fees and jail time.  A reasonable Judge would toss it out.  

I served in one criminal case where a teen was accused of damaging cars at a dealership after he was fired...  even the owner of the car dealership didn't think he did it, but the state prosecuted.  The prosecution was HORRIBLE...  when we (jury) were sent back to deliberate we basically all said at once "NOT GUILTY" and had a good laugh at the absolutely terrible case the state laid out.  Before we could go back out to render the verdict the Judge came in, sat down with us and said "listen, I couldn't take the chance that you folks might find this kid guilty so I threw out the case."  We all laughed and said we understood and told him what we thought of it as well.  He apologized again for not letting us render a verdict but ... eh.  I believe he said he threw it out based on the incompetency of the case made by the state.

She's lucky they didn't taze or shoot her. The police are completely out of control.

I liked your post simply because of your Hartnell avatar.