July's Xbox Live Gold free blockbuster game

There are games that are only available for that month, and then they are replaced with new games.

But there also is a core "Instant Game Collection".  For the first year it was Just Cause 2, inFamous 2, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, and a few others.  Starting in June, that was replaced by Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Uncharted 3, XCOM, and some others.  I think it's always six games, with 3 - 4 games rotating each month.

That said, once you've "purchased" the game, it's always available as long as you're subscribed, even if it leaves the rotation.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. So six titles change yearly, and then an additional 3-4 titles that change monthly.

So in affect, when someone signs up, they immediately get access to 9-10 titles, but then every month after they will be able to get 3-4 new titles.

That's easily worth the ps+ cost if you don't already own the games.

I wonder how Sony will handle the ps4 launch. Anyone that gets ps+ on the ps4 won't be getting full titles for at least a year or two if they treat it like the ps3.

Yeah, bad MS for releasing a game that's more popular than all of those put together ;)

face it though. both XBL free games and PSN+ is giving away games that have sold past the "curve". i.e. games that have already sold a lot and the vast majority of those interested in the game have bought it so very few are actually buying them anymore, hence they're "safe" to give away. 

Difference is that MS is actually giving away full games for use forever. This is a lot more expensive and not all developers are willing to allow this either. so for the start we'll have to expect mostly MS developed/published titles. 

There is certainly more variety from Sony than Microsoft. Plus, I don't think the difference between owning forever and renting for a year isn't really a valid point because in a year period the games would likely be played and finished. Keeping the game forever is nice, but PS+ sells itself well and people are inclined to renew or stack their subscriptions so you end up owning your games for a long time anyway.

I'd be happy to see Microsoft just copy Sony. They'd cop flak for it, but they've have a comparable service.

I wonder how Sony will handle the ps4 launch. Anyone that gets ps+ on the ps4 won't be getting full titles for at least a year or two if they treat it like the ps3.

I think Drive Club is a PS+ title for PS4. Not as many cars or tracks, but still, not bad right off the mark.

You completely skipped over my question though, Are you saying that EVERY month PSN+ gives you AAA titles over the year or so it has started doing this?

All I am saying is you can't slate a company for the one month they started doing something and it hasn't given in your opinion the games PSN+ has or is. If they don't start giving out games that a majority want then fine, but for all we know next month they may release some newer, better games!

I think its a little too early to be getting the daggers in without this just coming across as another Sony Vs Microsoft fanboy thread.

I wouldn't say they were all AAA titles but most of them are games that people actually want to play.  We;ve had the likes of Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Infamous 1 & 2, Saints Row 3, Deus EX, Mortal Kombat 9 and more.

Compare that to the games that MS were offering:

Fable 3 - Flopped Big time

Defense Grid - Not a big enough fanbase

Halo 3 - five year old game that most people already own

Assasins Creed 2 - See above

MS are only doing this until the Xbox One launches.

But that is just a glorified demo, something akin to GT Prologue

Compared with getting say 10 games when you first sign up and 3-4 after that each month, that's quite a drop off.

I'll definitely be considering letting my ps+ lapse for a while on the ps4 if it turns out they just can't offer the same deal for a while.

Although I assume Sony realized that and it could be one reason they moved multiplayer gaming behind a pay wall like MS. MS proved that is a big draw for adoption.

I wouldn't say they were all AAA titles but most of them are games that people actually want to play.  We;ve had the likes of Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Infamous 1 & 2, Saints Row 3, Deus EX, Mortal Kombat 9 and more.

Compare that to the games that MS were offering:

Fable 3 - Flopped Big time

Defense Grid - Not a big enough fanbase

Halo 3 - five year old game that most people already own

Assasins Creed 2 - See above

MS are only doing this until the Xbox One launches.

But aren't those just your opinions of the games?

I mean I agree MS will need to grow the variety as they go, but to dismiss all of these games based on your feelings about the games doesn't seem right. Remember, there are several people that weren't fans of some of those ps+ games you mentioned or already owned them.

This is two conversations:

1. How do you personally feel about the selection

2. How does the general market 'feel' about it

I just don't get why it has to be all or nothing in these things. MS is offering some free games. Good for those that don't own those games yet. Hope they grow the selection and hit games I don't own yet.

Regarding the program time frame (which is listed as ending 12/31/13, after the X1 is out), it makes perfect sense why it wouldn't be offered on the X1 at launch. There would be no games to offer. Its the same problem Sony will have. They will both have to wait a year or two if they wanted to offer a decent selection. Sony showed with the exclusive DriveClub demo that they may try to get user by with those options. MS has yet to show what it will offer, so we will see.

But that is just a glorified demo, something akin to GT Prologue

Compared with getting say 10 games when you first sign up and 3-4 after that each month, that's quite a drop off.

I'll definitely be considering letting my ps+ lapse for a while on the ps4 if it turns out they just can't offer the same deal for a while.

Although I assume Sony realized that and it could be one reason they moved multiplayer gaming behind a pay wall like MS. MS proved that is a big draw for adoption.

PS+ is more than just free games. You also get discounts on digital download games and other items on PS3 and it should be the same for PS4

PS+ is more than just free games. You also get discounts on digital download games and other items on PS3 and it should be the same for PS4

That is true. I was focusing on the game access since its really the difference between Plus and Gold. Both offer discounts, beta access, early demo access, etc. PS+ stood out for the game access privilege. Of course now that ps+ is required for multiplayer, things are a bit different. 

I really don't get this whole "competition" thing that people have come up with regarding Live/PSN.

Both are the sole proprietary service for its respective console.  They aren't really in direct competition.

I really don't get this whole "competition" thing that people have come up with regarding Live/PSN.

Both are the sole proprietary service for its respective console.  They aren't really in direct competition.

but..but...PS+ has free games!

Maybe the services themselves aren't similar so therefore they aren't directly competing, but it would be naive to think that the services both companies offer don't compete when trying to sell systems.

If I was Sony trying to sell consoles, PS+ is something I would promote as much as possible. I think they have even started bundling 3 month subs with new PS3s to show people what the service offers.

I agree, the online services for both offer enough to be a marketable feature to consumers.

I think Sony has been lax in advertising that feature though. I haven't seen a single ad from Sony touting their online features, especially the game access. I've seen some MS ads regarding XBL, but even they don't talk about it much. So I think both companies are missing chances to educate consumers.