• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:38

actually referring to Halo 3 which shoudl have been pretty obvious. PS3 also has arcae games and AAA games, why would a service that actually gives you full games be any different. 

It wasn't obvious because Halo 3 hasn't been provided yet.

But you are right, it is a very popular game, so popular to the vast majority of people have already played it, and you can pick up a physical copy of it (new or used) for next to nothing.

#32 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:44

Alright, so what's with the sudden ps+ gloating in this thread?

No one claimed Sony hasn't provided a good lineup of games now.

I swear, some of you are so invested in the console wars that its impossible for to avoid the topic. PS+ is a great value as long as there are enough games that you like and don't already own. They have grown the selection from something too small to be worth it to a wide variety. The only downside is that you can only play those games as long as you pay for plus. Sony has to keep a steady rotation of decent games to keep gamers coming back.

MS has decided to offer something similar. As with Sony, the current selection isn't great, but if they decide to continue it beyond the end of the year, that selection should get better. While the selection isn't great, the advantage is that the games you get are not tied to paying for Gold. I'm guessing MS did this since it wasn't as much about keeping gamers on Gold as they are locked in for multiplayer.

That is all about this gen. What about next gen?  Is there any info on what Sony or MS will do in regards to their services for next gen?

We know that Sony now requires you pay for ps+ for multiplayer, so that means other features could become less important to them. For MS, they already have the pay wall, so they could be looking to fill in the gaps that ps+ offers. The reality is, any service offering older games won't work for next consoles at launch, there just isn't any content. It'll be interesting to see what each side does to offset that, if anything at all.

#33 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:51

Well, that was a bit of a disappointment.

#34 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:55

Did it on the website just now, haven't played it yet but figured hey might as well get it anyways. I bought some games back in the days and now they aren't available anymore because of licensing. I found a few via my download history but some just aren't there anymore at all. This is partially why I don't like digital only downloads but hey, free is free :yes:

#35 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:59

NSFW language, but at least the message is being passed on:

http://i.imgur.com/RLGYdee.png

#36 +Dermot

Dermot

Gamer

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:05

I think both sides of the console market are making good n bad changes, xbox 360 getting free games or decent deals, 8 years after launch, while Sony prepare to charge for online multiplayer access via it's Plus system on PS4.

I think the marketing team at Microsoft just don't know games or are not as passionate as they should be, I think there are that many chains of command in Microsoft that deals and offers like these just get pushed out without thought or substance.

We all know major nelson is a gamer and knows games but still has to take what he is bottle fed without the power to change it, as he states himself he just finds out titles then blasts them onto his blog (his job) and he gets the backlash from the users. There should be more people like him in the positions that make the decisions about games and offers.

Comments here keep talking about how the xbox games for gold let you keep the games not like PS+ that just lets you use them as you're a member of the PS+, Microsofts offer is games for gold which means you have to be a gold member to avail of them in the first place, meaning you also have to pay to get them, and most are pretty pointless without MP access unless you pay for gold again.

We can all say PS+ wasn't as good when it first started but it's pretty good now and Microsoft needs to challenge Sony now, not start off with crappy arcade games building up to a console release when people now are making up their minds whether to stay with Microsoft or whether they should ditch XB1 for PS4. Microsoft needs to be setting examples and pleasing their userbase to a certain level, not ignoring them and then embarrassing themselves with poor offering like this grid dribble. 

I have to admit i was a Xbox user up to about the unveil of the XB1, I was so underwhelmed by the presentation, the look of it, the features and the obvious American only features of the console. My Xbox gold account runs it's course in a few weeks and my 8 year stint with Microsoft comes to an end, and I've given my Xbox 360 to my 5yr old nephew who just plays Doritos crash course on it (he loves it).

I joined PS+ the month before last and paid for a years sub, and already I've had the following..

• Lord of the rings: war in the north
  • The Cave
  • Little big Planet 2
  • Little big planet karting
  • ICO
  • Shadow of the colossus
  • Motorstorm
  • Infamous 2
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Uncharted 3: Drakes deception
  • Demon's Souls
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

And tomorrow..

• Battlefield 3
  • Payday: The Heist
  • Saints Row the Third

All this for €49.99 just this year alone.

I have been paying €49.99 every year since 2005 for the xbox 360.

I got..

• Doritos Crash Course 1

yes..that's it.

Speaks for itself really.

#37 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:10

snip

So when you drop PSN+ do you get to keep playing those games?

#38 sharpy2k4

sharpy2k4

Liverpool Fc 5 Time Champions YNWA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:17

I logged onto XBL today and it said my free game was some Spartacus Legends game? I haven't looked for this Defense Grid game however my main XBL page said Julys free game was Spartacus. I'm quite confused, maybe that was just a coincidence?

#39 +Dermot

Dermot

Gamer

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:20

So when you drop PSN+ do you get to keep playing those games?

No, But why would i want to?

I only have a 120gb HD

if i keep getting so many great free games every month I'll need to delete many old games to make room for the new.

This is a restriction with any HD on any system, can't hold onto digital copies for too long, specially free ones.

I can recall someone stating here the latest offering from Microsoft, Defense Grid is an arcade game and very small to download?.

That's fine if you want to hold onto so many small games but PS+ offering can be as big as 33GB a game.

But then only great looking HD games have big filesizes like this, Uncharted/last of us/etc

Also, PS4 requires a Plus subscription to use multiplayer, so like Microsoft gold accounts i will retain my membership for that very reason just i will have just a far superior bonus scheme going with it so games not working out of PS+ doesn't bother me one bit at this time, I paid €49.99 for 8 years and literally got nothing from microsoft and Sony offer far more for their users and their European audience which Microsoft ignore mostly.

:)

#40 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:27

You completely skipped over my question though, Are you saying that EVERY month PSN+ gives you AAA titles over the year or so it has started doing this?

All I am saying is you can't slate a company for the one month they started doing something and it hasn't given in your opinion the games PSN+ has or is. If they don't start giving out games that a majority want then fine, but for all we know next month they may release some newer, better games!

I think its a little too early to be getting the daggers in without this just coming across as another Sony Vs Microsoft fanboy thread.

Nevermind, MindTrickz beat me to it...

I logged onto XBL today and it said my free game was some Spartacus Legends game? I haven't looked for this Defense Grid game however my main XBL page said Julys free game was Spartacus. I'm quite confused, maybe that was just a coincidence?

Uh, Spartacus Legends is free to play anyway.

#41 sharpy2k4

sharpy2k4

Liverpool Fc 5 Time Champions YNWA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:29

Ah I didn't realise that, It was just advertised as Free in July on my XBL homepage so I presumed it was something to do with this free game malarky.

#42 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:34

Steve Ballmer just took over Xbox so I'm sure things will get better soon.

#43 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:42

Yeah, that's all that can be done. State your position and try to get that message to those that can make the decisions.

#44 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:45

Ah I didn't realise that, It was just advertised as Free in July on my XBL homepage so I presumed it was something to do with this free game malarky.

Yep, it's free on all platforms, with microtransactions for armor and stuff.

#45 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:51

Thanks for the image

I had no idea PSN+ was getting those kinds of games now I'm really feeling left out just like the rest of us gold members