Photo
defense grid the awakening xbox live gold microsoft xbox 360 gaming

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:32

Defense Grid: The Awakening for Xbox 360 free with Xbox Live Gold until July 15th
by John Callaham

Everyone likes free games and as part of Microsoft's recently announced free game program for paid Xbox Live Gold subscribers, the company announced it is providing the tower defense game Defense Grid: The Awakening for free from now until July 15th.

The Major Nelson website has the details on the free game offer, which is part of the new Games For Gold program for subscribers to Xbox Live Gold. Developed by Hidden Path Entertainment and first released for the Xbox 360 in 2009, the game normally costs 800 Microsoft points (about $10) to download from Xbox Live.

The sci-fi themed game has players setting up tower-based weapons to defend bases against a horde of alien invaders. The game was also released for the PC and has had a number of DLC level packs released since the core version launched. In May, Hidden Path announced that a full sequel to the game, Defense Grid 2, is officially in development and will be released in the first half of 2014.

Microsoft will offer yet another free game from its downloadable library on July 16 for Xbox Live Gold subscribers that will last until July 31st.

Source: Microsoft | Image via Hidden Path Entertainment

#2 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:34

Mmm... Raspberries!

#3 matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 01 July 2013 - 17:08

So much for AC2 and Halo 3. Instead they dump this arcade game on us!  :angry:

#4 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 July 2013 - 18:25

What a let down I wanted to play AC2, did they think they were being too generous?

#5 akav0id

akav0id

[CENSORED]

• Phone: Galaxy S I9000

Posted 01 July 2013 - 20:26

If they hadn't made a big show and dance about AAA titles like AC2 and H3  (albeit AAA well past their retail shelf life) I would have probably given this game a shot.

But now, it's such a let down from what I was expecting I won't even bother downloading it

#6 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:51

I am still waiting for good games to come along so I can activate one of my 14 day Gold trials to grab them  :laugh:

#7 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:18

What the heck is going on? People complaining about a free game? It's FREE. It's not like it costs you anything.

I bought 1 month gold for $1 and am glad to have a few freebies.

Steam gave me HL2 EP2 (another copy since I already owned it), Two Worlds and a few other games for free and I am not complaining.

Jeez people.

#8 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:20

It might be an arcade game but it's an amazing arcade game. It was worth paying for so it's definitely worth the price if it's free.

The funny part is you can easily get more time out of Defense Grid than either Halo 3 or AC2.

#9 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:55

What the heck is going on? People complaining about a free game? It's FREE. It's not like it costs you anything.

I bought 1 month gold for $1 and am glad to have a few freebies.

Steam gave me HL2 EP2 (another copy since I already owned it), Two Worlds and a few other games for free and I am not complaining.

Jeez people.

I think the issue for some people is PSN+ has been doing this for a while so its only natural to compare the two and PSN+ tends to give newer and better games every month. I am happy to get any free title be it Arcade or not but compared to PSN+ its a pretty weak showing.

I wouldn't give up on AC2 and H3... my assumption was that these were two games that will be used throughout the promotion period so it could be out in a few months etc. I'm more disappointed that this isn't a permanent thing and only running until the release of XB1/

#10 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:24

I think the issue for some people is PSN+ has been doing this for a while so its only natural to compare the two and PSN+ tends to give newer and better games every month. I am happy to get any free title be it Arcade or not but compared to PSN+ its a pretty weak showing.

I wouldn't give up on AC2 and H3... my assumption was that these were two games that will be used throughout the promotion period so it could be out in a few months etc. I'm more disappointed that this isn't a permanent thing and only running until the release of XB1/

That's exactly what they said, that those would be 2 of the game they'd be offering during the promotion and its on from now until the launch of X1, rumoured to be 27th Nov so after this we still have 8 more games to come, and part of me doesn't wonder if they'll carry it on after to do exactly that compete with PSN+

#11 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 July 2013 - 13:08

That's exactly what they said, that those would be 2 of the game they'd be offering during the promotion and its on from now until the launch of X1, rumoured to be 27th Nov so after this we still have 8 more games to come, and part of me doesn't wonder if they'll carry it on after to do exactly that compete with PSN+

I think the issue may come with issues of porting existing titles (arcade or full games) on to XB1 and that may be why they are stopping.

I seriously hope they do continue, I'm quite happy to receive older games that I may not have. Sometimes these Arcade games are better than the bigger titles released so again more of that is fine too.

#12 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:22

So if you download it during the free period, then delete it in a month or so, can you re-download it for free again? Or what if you get a new Xbox, etc...

#13 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:25

So if you download it during the free period, then delete it in a month or so, can you re-download it for free again? Or what if you get a new Xbox, etc...

It's tied to your account...so yes? maybe?

I'd go with yes.

#14 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:35

If I read the terms from the MS site and decipher as written, I have to say no...

“Games with Gold” bonus games offer available 6/10/13-12/31/13 for paid Gold members only. Each participating Xbox 360 game (selected by Xbox) available for download from Marketplace only during specified half-month window

#15 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:20

Maybe that just means you can only download it for free in that window. Kind of like with PS+: if you don't download the game within the time frame it is offered, usually the monthly cycle, you can't access it for free after the period ends.

You can redownload if you've downloaded or even previously started the download,by going into your download list, though.

I would hope that was the case.