35 posts in this topic

That makes sense. Women are more like men when it comes to sexuality despite what's perpetuated in today's societies. It's sad that some have been brainwashed into believing they aren't supposed to seek out sex with other men. The idea that men should be the ones to seek it out is flawed.

Men and women don't always find the same stuff attractive. Men may pay attention to a woman's midriff and women may pay attention to man's shoulders or back.

It's really kind of crazy when you think about it, which also helps to better explain women to men :) Seriously, it does give one more appreciation for what women have and are going through, and just how male dominated our culture really is. 

Gina Davis was on NPR on Sunday talking about the sociological imbalance that women have in our culture and it was really interesting... Men in a group feel that if the group is comprised of 17% women, it's 50-50 men and women in the group. And, if there's 33% women in the group, men feel that there are more women than men in the group.

We just heard a fascinating and disturbing study where they looked at the ratio of men and women in groups. And they found that if there's 17 percent women, the men in the group think it's 50-50. And if there's 33 percent women, the men perceive that as there being more women in the room than men.

What we're in effect doing is training children to see that women and girls are less important than men and boys. We're training them to perceive that women take up only 17 percent of the space in the world. And if you add on top of that that so many female characters are sexualized, even in things that are aimed at little kids, that's having an enormous impact as well.

My theory is that since all anybody has seen when they are growing up is this big imbalance that the movies that they've watched are about, let's say, five-to-one as far as female presence is concerned. That's what starts to look normal. And let's think about in difference segments of society - 17 percent of cardiac surgeons are women, 17 percent of tenured professors are women. It just goes on and on. And isn't that strange that that's also the percentage of women in crowd scenes in movies? What if we're actually training people to see that ratio as normal so that when you're an adult, you don't notice?

Full story with audio and transcript links: http://www.npr.org/2013/06/30/197390707/casting-call-hollywood-needs-more-women 

As a female, I can pretty much confirm this.

I can see a "hot" shirtless guy and enjoy looking at him, but it doesn't actually sexually turn me on, especially if I don't know him. Like the film "Magic Mike" for example--it's attractive shirtless men doing sexy things. It's fun to watch, but I didn't have to go home and masturbate afterwards :laugh:

But if it's a man I care about, like a friend I have a crush on or my actual partner, then yes. Even if he doesn't have a "great bod" or whatever. I've dated men society would find attractive, and some that they wouldn't, but they all turned me on once we got into a good relationship. For me, it's more indirect--he's sweet, he's caring, he's fun, I like him, and once we've already been together, I know what he's like in bed and can anticipate the fun we're going to have--so it turns me on to see him shirtless or nude. It's different than the male response, which is more purely physical (well, most of the time, I suppose some men can be like me too just as some women are different, but it's less common). This is also why women you're dating may take a little longer than you like to be ready to get in bed. Once she likes you, trusts you, knows you like and really care about her, she will get turned on by you and probably want you all the time :laugh: Patience is great in that situation; and a little "no pressure" at the beginning can pay off big time down the road.

It's hard for me to understand that ability to get turned on just by seeing a random pair of breasts or whatever, just as I imagine it's hard for some men to really be able to understand what I'm saying. But that's the best way I can explain it :D

Thank you, finally :)

Most men do commonly have a similar, though less intense, emotional response to sexual attraction. Generally, if a man likes your personality you're definitely more sexually attractive to him than if he doesn't, no matter how physically attractive you are. But, often a man could literally hate a woman personally and still be physically attracted enough to have sex with her on many occasions :) The emotional attraction isn't necessary, and it's more detached. Also, men can get that emotional attraction with much more superficial interaction and over a much shorter period.

That said, most men, like most women, aren't just looking to try and get in a relationship with the person they are simply most sexually attracted to. Sexual attraction is a factor, but especially as men and women get older, how much they enjoy spending time with the other person and the ability to create and enjoy that emotional connection becomes more important, and often competes with sexual attraction. Some people have an easier time balancing out that inner competition than others.

1 person likes this

Thank you, Charisma for the informative response.

With us guys, we get turned on immediately by sight and yes, sometimes we feel like we want to get into bed with her.... all because of her good looking body. But that's just our minds playing with us. I've met girls that are very attractive, but once I got to know them, I start to wonder why I was so stupid in finding them attractive to begin with. And there were other girls that didn't look so attractive when I first met them, but as I got to know them, I started to develop an attraction and then start to wonder why it took me so long to feel this way about that girl. That's what sucks about being a guy. We are born with stupid minds that play tricks on us and everyday, we need to tell it to stop. We are hard wired to judge books by their covers.

2 people like this

Thank you, Charisma for the informative response.

With us guys, we get turned on immediately by sight and yes, sometimes we feel like we want to get into bed with her.... all because of her good looking body. But that's just our minds playing with us. I've met girls that are very attractive, but once I got to know them, I start to wonder why I was so stupid in finding them attractive to begin with. And there were other girls that didn't look so attractive when I first met them, but as I got to know them, I started to develop an attraction and then start to wonder why it took me so long to feel this way about that girl. That's what sucks about being a guy. We are born with stupid minds that play tricks on us and everyday, we need to tell it to stop. We are hard wired to judge books by their covers.

I appreciate you being honest in acknowledging this and realising it can sometimes be a bad thing, although it's certainly not inherently bad as it's very natural and not to be helped. There are good and bad parts to both ways of reacting (the typical male and female responses I'm thinking of) and I think finding that balance is healthy. The brain is the biggest sex organ, they say, and it's worth bringing into the picture evey time :)

It's encouraging to see that you understand the pros and cons also... that takes a mature sort of person. I am the same way in one respect--I can meet someone and think they are physically pretty/attractive/whatever, but if I get to know them and they are not pleasant, they don't even look as good anymore (this goes for women too--I'm straight, but I can appreciate a nice looking lady; however, she will also start to look ugly if she isn't a nice person) and vice versa.

In fact, now that I think of it, one of the most handsome men in my eyes that I know was only about a 3 or 4 when I met him, but he's just an awesome guy and now has a really nice (and pretty!) girlfriend too. I know he gets that "ugh, why is she with him? He must be rich or something" **** all the time and it makes me mad... not everyone is that shallow and he really is one of the best people I know. She's a lucky girl and knows he's more than what initially meets the eye, and I'm sure she (like I do) finds him rather fetching now.

Anyway I don't mean to ramble, but I'm old enough now to be comfortable with the way I am and not be made to feel bad about it (as people are wont to do), and I conduct myself in a way that makes me happy :D  so I'm glad to offer insight to some of the lads on here that may wonder. I of course cannot speak for every female, but I am sure I'm not the only one who feels the way I explained above.

*Clicks on thread* *Witnesses sausage fest*

Guys, I just saw a girl naked for the first time. Why does their no no place look different than my no no place?

Guys, I just saw a girl naked for the first time. Why does their no no place look different than my no no place?

I dunno, but be careful. It probably has teeth. Sharp ones.

1 person likes this

i kinda want to see some boobies now.. 

1 person likes this

The reason I bring up this topic is because I like to go shirtless at the park or when hiking in the summer. When it's 80+ degrees and I'm sweating like crazy, it helps to remove the shirt since it's much cooler with the shirt off and since I sweat a lot, it's no fun wearing a soaking wet T-shirt. So, when I walk out shirtless, I always wonder what girls think. Do they get turned on; do they not really take much notice; or are they disgusted? I'm no body builder with six pack abs, but I am slim. So, not sure what the ladies think.

The reason I bring up this topic is because I like to go shirtless at the park or when hiking in the summer. When it's 80+ degrees and I'm sweating like crazy, it helps to remove the shirt since it's much cooler with the shirt off and since I sweat a lot, it's no fun wearing a soaking wet T-shirt. So, when I walk out shirtless, I always wonder what girls think. Do they get turned on; do they not really take much notice; or are they disgusted? I'm no body builder with six pack abs, but I am slim. So, not sure what the ladies think.

My guess is that it depends on the person watching. We are all different is not a question about women in general. You can have three women watching and one will probably love it, the other one will hate it and the other one will probably not even notice.

I would... but that wasn't the question.  :woot:

I like looking at guys running shirtless. I wouldn't say it turns me on, but it does catch my eye ;)