Microsoft retiring TechNet Subscriptions

Microsoft continues to ###### me off. Charge and arm and leg for their certs that you're basically required to get every couple years if you want to make good money, and now they are stopping one of the only cost reasonable resources to practice and evaluate their crap with. Ridiculous.

How is This bad?  Most people have access to the licenses for real cheap anyway. Non profits can go through techsoup.org, students and schools have academic pricing and dreamspark. IT people have MSDN and volume licensing , and local and state government have contract pricing.

Technet offers a lot more than MSDN Operating System level could ever offer. Comparing the two, Technet was always a better and cheaper alternative to MSDN, but unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

How is This bad? Most people have access to the licenses for real cheap anyway. Non profits can go through techsoup.org, students and schools have academic pricing and dreamspark. IT people have MSDN and volume licensing , and local and state government have contract pricing.

You don't have a clue. Many people are self taught, like myself. 350 is a great price to get everything for a lab environment. The closest msdn that offers similar is 10,000 usd. And to buy software to test and play with for a long time is not available. Open license isn't cheap. I like the ability as a tech to be able to purchase this. Perhaps making the requirements a little more strict.... Maybe mcp or mcitp only.

Technet offers a lot more than MSDN Operating System level could ever offer. Comparing the two, Technet was always a better and cheaper alternative to MSDN, but unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

Get a dreamspark account through something like ACM or IEEE.   It's basically the same thing.  Exchange, Windows, Server, etc. 

Piracy no. But it will stop people from selling technet licensing and making money illegally. Now the people who thought they bought legal licenses will have to buy actual legal licenses. 

HawkMan, your quick to say "people selling" "people abusing" can you actually prove this?  Doubtful so please stop assuming.  I use Technet honestly but according to you as I'm a "people/person" I'm abusing it.

I honestly think the reason is because Microsoft wants more money from MSDN subscriptions, that is all.

HawkMan, your quick to say "people selling" "people abusing" can you actually prove this?  Doubtful so please stop assuming.  I use Technet honestly but according to you as I'm a "people/person" I'm abusing it.

I honestly think the reason is because Microsoft wants more money from MSDN subscriptions, that is all.

Did I say everyone was? No. But it was ripe, and you just need to drop by ebay to get the proof of that.

Can existing keys still be activated after they kill Technet?

September 30th, 2013 is the deadline when TechNet keys can be activated.

September 30th, 2013 is the deadline when TechNet keys can be activated.

That's before 8.1 as well.. or do you mean 2014? TechNet is being killed off next year I thought?

That's before 8.1 as well.. or do you mean 2014? TechNet is being killed off next year I thought?

Ok, I got it, the subs (including those purchased from a reseller) can be activated until September 30th, 2013.

The portal itself will close on September 30th, 2014 and this is the last day to activate the keys.

p.s. i had confused subs and key activation deadlines before.

Time to get a MSDN subscription, as it's staying around !

:)

Hopefully they will add a stage to MSDN. I'd prefer they increase the cost to TechNet than discontinue it all together :/

You can thank all the people that abused it, even more so those that resold license keys. 

however if your career so much relied on it, MSDN is probably more the service you need. 

Yeah i think i will have to, it's a real shame, as the trials won't really cut the mustard, as i like to keep setups in a VM setup, i could then power them up and try out configs etc.. the trials are gonna scupper than, ill be looking at MSDN like you say, 

• 2 weeks later...