• 4,591 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:25

For all of you who get hung up on which is the correct abbreviation:

#2 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

• 1,958 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 16:51

I've always said maths, but never considered it plural.

As a child I would do "sums" and to begin with it would be addition. Thinking about it now, "sums" is quite likely an abbreviation of "summaries" (plural, ironically). But math/maths is more than just addition, so at some point as I learnt about subtraction, multiplication and division, the subject became "maths". The "s" was carried over from the "s" in sums. It doesn't represent a plural, it just sounds better - "I am doing sums" becomes "I am doing maths".

#3 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:06

We should just destroy all other English-speaking countries... then American English would RULE THEM ALLLLLLLLL!! HAH A HAH HAAAHHAH AHHAAAA!!!

Just kidding.  Actually, I am involved in ESL program and I have found that most people (from other countries, continents) learn British English in school, and I am careful to remember that as they are reading aloud, so that I don't incorrectly critique them.  Sometimes I point out the slight differences in pronunciation, spelling, what-have-you.  I've found they actually enjoy learning the localized quirks, as well...  how some accents speed up words, or syllables at certain points, gloss over sounds, etc.

#4 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:23

"Don't you realize that there's an s on the end of mathematics"

Uh, yes, and there's also an ematic on the end, but that's why we call it an abbreviation. :laugh:

#5 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,844 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:24

Casually it I say Math, however, when speaking with professors or mathematicians / PHD's i always use Maths because they do.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!