• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:56

Well cults aren't mainstream, so that perfectly why these particular vegans are displaying cult-like behaviours. As I said, I wouldn't use the word cult, I don't want the word to be diluted to the point anyone with extreme ideas is part of a cult, but I can see parallels there.

So any group that calls out people that don't agree with them (attacking and shaming apostates) is cult-like?

That would make any Pro-Life group cult-like, global warming advocates cult-like, Christianity cult-like, etc.. If you're going to use broad generalizations to define a cult, inevitably everything begins to seem cult like and you can draw parallels. It's nonsense.

I suggest you read my conversation in this thread with @sanctified, particularly what defines a cult. After reading that definition, you'd understand that any military, or North Korea, has more parallels with a cult than what is known about this group.

#32 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 July 2013 - 20:34

It's funny, those of you who say humans were made as carnivores. That's really not very true. Human anatomy has characteristics much closer to herbivores. At some point we learned to make up for our natural disadvantages in hunting by using tools, and we started eating more meat and over time have evolved to a point where we act more like omnivores. We're certainly not carnivores because we get a lot of nutrients and balance we need from fruit and vegetables, but over time I'd say we're not herbivore either because we get protein and other useful things from meat that we eat. Actually, if you tried to go strict either way, you could be vegan and stay healthy fairly easily, making up for protein with nuts and some other higher protein vegetables. If you decided to just eat meat, you'd probably find it a lot more difficult to keep the proper balance of nutrients without taking supplements.

That said, I can't imagine being a vegan. I very much enjoy eating meat, and I don't see issue with it either. We are just animals like any other. Some people live in a dream world where every creature on earth is never disturbed, but that's not real life. In the real world animals eat other animals. It's the circle of life. I may not like how we mass breed and genetically engineer animals now, but unless everyone is going to go back to hunting for themselves, it's just part of optimizing the process.

#33 Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew

Neowinian

• 178 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 02 July 2013 - 20:45

It's funny, those of you who say humans were made as carnivores. That's really not very true. Human anatomy has characteristics much closer to herbivores. At some point we learned to make up for our natural disadvantages in hunting by using tools, and we started eating more meat and over time have evolved to a point where we act more like omnivores. We're certainly not carnivores because we get a lot of nutrients and balance we need from fruit and vegetables, but over time I'd say we're not herbivore either because we get protein and other useful things from meat that we eat. Actually, if you tried to go strict either way, you could be vegan and stay healthy fairly easily, making up for protein with nuts and some other higher protein vegetables. If you decided to just eat meat, you'd probably find it a lot more difficult to keep the proper balance of nutrients without taking supplements.

That said, I can't imagine being a vegan. I very much enjoy eating meat, and I don't see issue with it either. We are just animals like any other. Some people live in a dream world where every creature on earth is never disturbed, but that's not real life. In the real world animals eat other animals. It's the circle of life. I may not like how we mass breed and genetically engineer animals now, but unless everyone is going to go back to hunting for themselves, it's just part of optimizing the process.

Actually, the reason that "we" survived and the Neanderthals did not was because our brains grew larger due to a higher PROTEIN intake (i.e. we ate meat and Neanderthal's didn't, or ate much less).  So yes, we survived and flourished BECAUSE we were carnivores.  Had we been vegans all along, we would have gone the way of the Neanderthals.

#34 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:21

Actually, the reason that "we" survived and the Neanderthals did not was because our brains grew larger due to a higher PROTEIN intake (i.e. we ate meat and Neanderthal's didn't, or ate much less).  So yes, we survived and flourished BECAUSE we were carnivores.  Had we been vegans all along, we would have gone the way of the Neanderthals.

We are not and never have been carnivores. We were omnivores because we wouldn't survive on just meat. Humans evolved and adapted over time to increasing meat in their diets, like I said before, it doesn't change the fact that the human anatomy is built very much in line with herbivores, because our earliest ancestors were more herbivore before becoming omnivore. Early humans were opportunistic eaters more than anything. Our bodies weren't designed to chase down and kill other animals as well, we don't have speed, claws, or sharp teeth, so we ate what meat may have been available from another animals kill, etc. Over time we developed tools and started to take on a far more omnivore diet than herbivore diet, which did help us to develop into what we are today like you said, but never were we carnivores.

#35 Avi Patel

Avi Patel

Neowinian

• 389 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:29

i'm a vegetarian myself, but this is stupid...

#36 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 2,327 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:47

I once ate something that was casting a shadow :(

#37 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:55

So any group that calls out people that don't agree with them (attacking and shaming apostates) is cult-like?

That would make any Pro-Life group cult-like, global warming advocates cult-like, Christianity cult-like, etc.. If you're going to use broad generalizations to define a cult, inevitably everything begins to seem cult like and you can draw parallels. It's nonsense.

I suggest you read my conversation in this thread with @sanctified, particularly what defines a cult. After reading that definition, you'd understand that any military, or North Korea, has more parallels with a cult than what is known about this group.

Yes, Harassing (Drop the dishonesty and call it what it actually is) people that disagree with you is very cult like.

#38 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 22:19

Yes, Harassing (Drop the dishonesty and call it what it actually is) people that disagree with you is very cult like.

Posting someone's name on a website and criticizing them for disagreeing with you is not harassment... It could be considered bullying though.

Bullying is not something that is specific to cults alone, and neither is harassment. If you're going to use that logic then every junior high and high school in the country has several "cult like" groups.

It's nonsense. It's like pretending to not understand the difference between an actual cult, and a cult fan base of a film or television show.

#39 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:39

Yes, and all that behaviour is cult like as well. It doesn't matter how you rationalise it, the fact that they didn't provide addresses is irrelevant, it is harassment. Besides, Bullying is just as disgusting as harassment and shouldn't be tolerated by reasonable people.

#40 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:57

I seen the sites before its being redirected to veganism wiki,

and I reach to the conclusion that its lump the 'hypocrites vegans' & 'openly ex-vegans' as one group: traitors.

While i could understand if it tries to criticize the hypocrites vegans, those who claim to be vegans when they are not,

But i also see that that sites makers rather blind their own eyes to whatever reasons that people stop being a vegan.

#41 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,079 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:08

Oh noes! The Vegans are coming! The Vegans are coming!!

Hey, I know how we can solve the "issue" of poorly treated animals!  Eat a Vegan!*  That's it folks! Save the Animals! Eat a Vegan today!

* I do not condone the eating of Vegans

** Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

#42 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 22:05

^ You, you Soylent green person. :p

#43 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,951 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:13

They're not "exposing" those who have never been vegan, they are "exposing" those who once were and then stopped.

It seems they are trying to whip up up hostility towards ex-vegans. Why go to all of the trouble of building a website and naming ex-vegans ? It's almost like a threat to other vegans "leave the movement or change your mind and you'll suffer". Kind of like what happens to ex-Scientologists.

#44 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 00:54

They're not "exposing" those who have never been vegan, they are "exposing" those who once were and then stopped.

It seems they are trying to whip up up hostility towards ex-vegans. Why go to all of the trouble of building a website and naming ex-vegans ? It's almost like a threat to other vegans "leave the movement or change your mind and you'll suffer". Kind of like what happens to ex-Scientologists.

Your're making this website out to be something much more than it is... And it doesn't even exist in the form of when the article was written anymore.

Would these websites be, according to you, created by cult-like monogamist groups?

http://www.cheatersexpose.com/

http://www.cheaterville.com/

http://www.cheaternews.com/

This whole topic has become exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness.

#45 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:14

Yes, and all that behaviour is cult like as well. It doesn't matter how you rationalise it, the fact that they didn't provide addresses is irrelevant, it is harassment. Besides, Bullying is just as disgusting as harassment and shouldn't be tolerated by reasonable people.

Then no one should tolerate most bloggers, newspapers, news channels, facebook pages, twitter feeds, or even Neowin's front page. Positng someone's name, or a list of people, on a website and criticizing them for disagreeing with you is not harassment. And, if that's all you do, it's not bullying either.

Reasonable... High school girl cliques are cult-like according to you.

Cult-like... If you describe a basketball as "zeppelin-like" because they're both filled with air, then that's reasonable.

I think it's ridiculous.

Edited by thomastmc, 06 July 2013 - 01:25.