xbox one

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Showan

Showan

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:56

Ever since the Xbox One reveal, all I could do is daydream of the possibilities.
People complained about DRM, and how it was pure evil.
People laugh and tease how the cloud is a gimmick.
And people cried that their Internet sucks, and that it wouldn't be fair to them.

Well guess what people?
Is this Microsofts fault your ISP sucks?

Let's face it, the Internet has been the killer App for console gaming, ever since the Sega Dreamcast days.
Microsoft has taken that vision and set a bar with Xbox Live.
Broadband Connection only on the OG XBOX was the best thing Microsoft ever did for console gaming.
If they didn't, bother then, we would probably still have a dial up modem on the back of our consoles.

Now Microsoft is trying to show us an even better Online World (or Universe, I should say) with the Xbox One. And all I hear is complaints about how the Internet sucks where you live.
If a ISP takes your money, you have a right to demand better service.

If the Internet can complain that much about Micorosfts policies and get them overturned, why can't that same energy and effort be used to get your ISP to step their game up?

I use to think "Cloud" was a gimmick too, until I met an engineer a few years back who showed my class how cloud computing works. And the benefits if used right. Borrowing resources from another machine to boost performance of your machine is amazing.

Of course a lot of this depends on bandwidth. But let me ask this, does anyone honestly think today's bandwidths and bottlenecks gonna be the same for the whole 10+ years that the XB1 is out?

There are ISP's that are trying to get fiber from the node all the way to the house here where I live, instead of just stopping at the pole, and coppering out to the house.

Google is already showing a better way for internet. We should be cheering this on, and calling your ISP, and demanding better. If a company that isn't even an ISP can do it, what's your ISP's excuse?

Don't settle people.

Remember the Internet is the Killer feature.

#2 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:02

I absolutely agree that the ISPs are the devil incarnate in the hell that is the IT sector...

#3 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Titan

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:12

k

#4 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:14

Microsoft's fault.

#5 corrosive23

corrosive23

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:15

LOL WUT?

#6 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:17

:huh:

#7 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:20

LOL WUT?

Stupid iPad couldn't keep up... Too lazy to grab the laptop... And had to click edit a million times...

My bad...

Microsoft's fault.

LOL....

#8 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Idiot Hater

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:45

There are ISP's that are trying to get fiber from the node all the way to the house here where I live, instead of just stopping at the pole, and coppering out to the house.

I live in a south asian developing country and even I have fiber to my room.

#9 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:46

It's not the ISP, it's the infrastructure available.

#10 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:16

It's not the ISP, it's the infrastructure available.

That's understandable... But if they are taking boatloads of money from the consumer and your Internet hadpsnt improved in years... Then what the heck are they doing with your money....??

Demand that they build out their infrastructure...

I live in a south asian developing country and even I have fiber to my room.

This is what I'm talking about... Progression... (wish I had fiber all the way to my house)...
My speeds are decent 28mbps down and 20mbps up...
And that with copper from the node all the way to my house...

#11 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:06

That's understandable... But if they are taking boatloads of money from the consumer and your Internet hadpsnt improved in years... Then what the heck are they doing with your money....??

Demand that they build out their infrastructure...

This is what I'm talking about... Progression... (wish I had fiber all the way to my house)...
My speeds are decent 28mbps down and 20mbps up...
And that with copper from the node all the way to my house...

It's not quite as simple as you seem to make out.  I live in Australia.  Look at the size of Australia. 

Not to mention the infrastructure is all owned and operated by Telstra.  Only now are we seeing FTTH rolled out (very slowly), and the new government which will be elected soon is going to change that to FTTN.  Useless.

#12 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:32

I have fairly decent internet where I am (200Mbit down / 200Mbit up, FTTH), but I still didn't like the direction MS were taking the XboxOne.

Personally, I didn't see an advantage for me with MS adding additional levels of DRM (24 hr checks, restriction on the ability to sell the games when I finish them etc). Plenty of benefits for Microsoft.

And it wasn't just an issue with the end customer's internet, by adding the 24 hour checks, you are adding an additional point of failure in the system. It's possible for the MS authentication servers to go down (Sim City anyone), and if your 24 hour renewal was up at the same time, no xbox for you.

I'm glad they reversed course. I was not going to purchase the Xbox One as it originally stood. Plenty would. Good for them. I would have gone with the PS4. But now I am still deciding between the two.

#13 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:50

In the UK, some ISPs are restricting in what a person can do. Some still offer monthly caps, such as 10GB, which is useless if you want to stream movies, etc. I'm stuck to purely an ADSL line, because BT or Virgin Media won't fork out to implement new infrastructure. So until then, and until it becomes affordable, I'm stuck on a 4MB line, because that's the 'best' that I can get.

As for the DRM aspect, sometimes...not often, but on the rare occasion, we may get Internet outage...but I don't want that to stop me playing games on my Xbox.

#14 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:11

I live in the UK and i have damn mediocre broadband. It's my own fault as i chose to move from London to the countryside and i knew full well there would be a degradation in service.

I went from 30mb to 1.5mb in the space of a week. It hurt.

The thing is, i was interested in what MS were doing with the XB1 and i even applauded it because it is the future and things like the XB1 will help drive the government initiative, that's already in place, to get a stronger faster broadband infrastructure in place. So people really shouldn't be moaning at XB1, they should see it the same way they see Netflix. It's not MS's fault, it's your ISP.

If any one cares to take a look at the profits earned by BT last year, and the bonuses they paid out, then anyone can see it is pure greed. I know they're working with the government to bring faster broadband to more people but that's something they should have been doing for a long term.

When BT was formed it was tasked with maintaining a modern communications network, it's in their constitution, yet they've failed to do this.

#15 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14

I have fairly decent internet where I am (200Mbit down / 200Mbit up, FTTH), but I still didn't like the direction MS were taking the XboxOne.

Personally, I didn't see an advantage for me with MS adding additional levels of DRM (24 hr checks, restriction on the ability to sell the games when I finish them etc). Plenty of benefits for Microsoft.

And it wasn't just an issue with the end customer's internet, by adding the 24 hour checks, you are adding an additional point of failure in the system. It's possible for the MS authentication servers to go down (Sim City anyone), and if your 24 hour renewal was up at the same time, no xbox for you.

I'm glad they reversed course. I was not going to purchase the Xbox One as it originally stood. Plenty would. Good for them. I would have gone with the PS4. But now I am still deciding between the two.

Ability to share any game you own with 10 friends? Never needing a disc again? Downloading your whole game library on whoevers Xbox? I'm jumping to conclusions here but from the sound of that, it feels like you didn't know a lot of those reasons.

I disagree with the statement regarding ISP's, in the UK its more so down to the government and the relationship with BT. ISP's actually work on very very small margins. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!