• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#16 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19

ISP's actually work on very very small margins. 

BT's profits and paid out bonuses were whopping last year, not mention the huge grants from the government.

Sorry i can't provide a source or figures, i'm on my phone and it's a PITA arse but Google should have them.

At the end of the day, the upgrade is happening, it'll be a few years yet but it is on the way.

#17 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:21

BT's profits and paid out bonuses were whopping last year, not mention the huge grants from the government.

Sorry i can't provide a source or figures, i'm on my phone and it's a PITA arse but Google should have them.

At the end of the day, the upgrade is happening, it'll be a few years yet but it is on the way.

BT have a very hard and thorough process to get any funding or work approved. Most of their setbacks on projects is due to tight legislation and getting work approved.

#18 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:23

Stupid isn't it?

Government wants a stronger communications architecture, BT has funds available, different government department slows down uptake with rules and regs.

Red tape screws us all.

#19 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28

Stupid iPad couldn't keep up... Too lazy to grab the laptop... And had to click edit a million times...

My bad...

LOL....

What exactly was microsoft trying to do with this amazing new universe you're describing? The only reason MS wanted their xbox to revolve around an internet connection was to monetize every aspect of it they could. Consumers called them out on their ######.

The issue of crappy internet "holding us back", as you put it, has nothing to do with Microsoft or the xbox one.

#20 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59

What exactly was microsoft trying to do with this amazing new universe you're describing? The only reason MS wanted their xbox to revolve around an internet connection was to monetize every aspect of it they could. Consumers called them out on their bull****.

The issue of crappy internet "holding us back", as you put it, has nothing to do with Microsoft or the xbox one.

XBOX live is going to become a more than than what you see now...
SKYPE, LIVE, XBOX, & too some extent Windows will be start to become a blurr... Sprinkle some Playstation Home (all the stuff that didn't suck about home) for good measure...

The deidicated servers are for more than what people realize... ReSpawn & the Forza team are just little things right now...
But as Bandthwith gets better, things like "Loading" should all but vanish because (no matter the draw distance, or switching between levels, and environments) that data will already be pre-fetched as soon as you venture close to a level change or environment shift.
And if you decide to backtrack, it starts to off load that data back to the cloud/servers.

Or how about a World that never sleep (literally).. You are a Kingpen in a game, and you are at work, you have to pull out your phone or get to a browser and still protect your fort, house, etc... You are given a particular subset of items for protections like, lasers in the house, dogs, poisonous snakes, whatever you can think of... AND all of it powered by Bing... And while your doing this from a phone or browser your XB1 is actually on (in its low power state) updating your game accordingly... Did a horrible job protecting your house, turn your game on and the game is already showing the ruins... Did an good job at protecting it, and you see dead bodies there (and they don't disappear... Your Internet goes out... That's fine, all of that stuff you just did is stored in the cloud... Internet is back up, and your games adjust accordingly to what has happened (even getting your permission before it just loads it in, because you may be doing something completely different now)...

Or how about Matrix type game or world..,
Your out with your family or friends and you remember your at a boss who is the best martial artist...
And your avatar is in his house or what ever, and you just Bing: learn Kung fu...
While your out, your character is learning Kung fu, you come home and fire up game...and your character knows Kung fu...

What you and I were playing a game where it's drop in and out co-op..,
I'm at work and you have the day off so your playing.., but my character was the last one with the map... Pull out my phone, or iPad and give you're distinct directions on how to get out of a dungeon....

Remember PS-Home??? Worse thing about it??? Always loading, even for the most petty things...
Imagine a world like that done over??? Done right... My character walks through a door and it actually load right into Titanfall right into my matchup... Or I don't want to play Quatum Break any longer, and I say Xbox pause. The game pauses, then I say Xbox go to my pad/house and while Quatum Break is paused a door appears in the world and my Home avatar walks through it and I'm back at my house or environment.., and all my advancements from Quatum break saved accordingly and all...

I'm no game developer... But video games and and high bandwidth Internet are a match made in Heaven... Even for single player games...

Some don't always want a connected world and that's fine...

All the possibilities come from the power of the Web...

The Internet allows for almost unlimited imagination...

#21 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:05

The Internet isn't an "app" it's a service. For some reason the need to refer to things that aren't apps as apps really grates on me...

People complained about DRM, and how it was pure evil.
People laugh and tease how the cloud is a gimmick.
And people cried that their Internet sucks, and that it wouldn't be fair to them.

Well guess what people?
Is this Microsofts fault your ISP sucks?

No, you're right that it isn't Microsoft's fault for people having bad connection speeds. But to look at it from another perspective, isn't Microsoft being a little naive in trying to push a set of services that rely on the Internet when the technology isn't widely available? Ultimately it could end up hurting Microsoft, not the user that went for an offline console instead because the requirements suited him better.

#22 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:07

XBOX live is going to become a more than than what you see now...
SKYPE, LIVE, XBOX, & too some extent Windows will be start to become a blurr... Sprinkle some Playstation Home (all the stuff that didn't suck about home) for good measure...
The deidicated servers are for more than what people realize... ReSpawn & the Forza team are just little things right now...
But as Bandthwith gets better, things like "Loading" should all but vanish because (no matter the draw distance, or switching between levels, and environments) that data will already be pre-fetched as soon as you venture close to a level change or environment shift.
And if you decide to backtrack, it starts to off load that data back to the cloud/servers.
Or how about a World that never sleep (literally).. You are a Kingpen in a game, and you are at work, you have to pull out your phone or get to a browser and still protect your fort, house, etc... You are given a particular subset of items for protections like, lasers in the house, dogs, poisonous snakes, whatever you can think of... AND all of it powered by Bing... And while your doing this from a phone or browser your XB1 is actually on (in its low power state) updating your game accordingly... Did a horrible job protecting your house, turn your game on and the game is already showing the ruins... Did an good job at protecting it, and you see dead bodies there (and they don't disappear... Your Internet goes out... That's fine, all of that stuff you just did is stored in the cloud... Internet is back up, and your games adjust accordingly to what has happened (even getting your permission before it just loads it in, because you may be doing something completely different now)...
Or how about Matrix type game or world..,
Your out with your family or friends and you remember your at a boss who is the best martial artist...
And your avatar is in his house or what ever, and you just Bing: learn Kung fu...
While your out, your character is learning Kung fu, you come home and fire up game...and your character knows Kung fu...
What you and I were playing a game where it's drop in and out co-op..,
I'm at work and you have the day off so your playing.., but my character was the last one with the map... Pull out my phone, or iPad and give you're distinct directions on how to get out of a dungeon....
Remember PS-Home??? Worse thing about it??? Always loading, even for the most petty things...
Imagine a world like that done over??? Done right... My character walks through a door and it actually load right into Titanfall right into my matchup... Or I don't want to play Quatum Break any longer, and I say Xbox pause. The game pauses, then I say Xbox go to my pad/house and while Quatum Break is paused a door appears in the world and my Home avatar walks through it and I'm back at my house or environment.., and all my advancements from Quatum break saved accordingly and all...
I'm no game developer... But video games and and high bandwidth Internet are a match made in Heaven... Even for single player games...
Some don't always want a connected world and that's fine...
All the possibilities come from the power of the Web...
The Internet allows for almost unlimited imagination...

And what did they monetize??? I didn't see any new weird pricing or anything slipped in during the press conferences so far...
You accuse before they even announce... Why not give benefit of the doubt... You think creating all of this stuff is free...???
Let's face it, other companies had to learn the hard way... That's why they have to charge for certain parts of their online too...

#23 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:10

The Internet isn't an "app" it's a service. For some reason the need to refer to things that aren't apps as apps really grates on me...

No, you're right that it isn't Microsoft's fault for people having bad connection speeds. But to look at it from another perspective, isn't Microsoft being a little naive in trying to push a set of services that rely on the Internet when the technology isn't widely available? Ultimately it could end up hurting Microsoft, not the user that went for an offline console instead because the requirements suited him better.

English obviously isn't his 1st language, cut the guy some slack.

To reply to your comment, a couple of kilobytes at midnight is really something which isn't widely available?

#24 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:13

English obviously isn't his 1st language, cut the guy some slack.

To reply to your comment, a couple of kilobytes at midnight is really something which isn't widely available?

A couple of kilobytes at midnight is a pretty rare thing if you don't have internet.

#25 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:17

For me it is available, but I've never been one to complain about the necessity of being online (the latest SimCity is different, because it isn't a crucial necessity, it's just the way EA decided they wanted to do things).

My point is this. The original post says that it isn't Microsoft's fault that they tried to create a console that requires you to be online. I agree, it isn't their fault. But it was their decision, and it is a decision that appears to be turning away many people from the idea of buying an Xbox.

Do I mind about that? Not personally, I had no intention of getting an Xbox. But will Microsoft have an issue with a reduced number of sales? Possibly. If they end up turning around and saying something along the lines of, "where did we go wrong?" the answer for them will not be to blame the ISP's of the world; it will be that they blame themselves for offering something that not everyone could be a part of.

#26 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:18

The Internet isn't an "app" it's a service. For some reason the need to refer to things that aren't apps as apps really grates on me...No, you're right that it isn't Microsoft's fault for people having bad connection speeds. But to look at it from another perspective, isn't Microsoft being a little naive in trying to push a set of services that rely on the Internet when the technology isn't widely available? Ultimately it could end up hurting Microsoft, not the user that went for an offline console instead because the requirements suited him better.

You are partially right... People don't like "feeling forced" or "pushed" ... But like I said, if Ms didn't force a broadband connection on us all those years ago, you would probably still see that dial up modem port right next to a broadband port on the back of your respective system... And expect something so yesteryear to be there... And when the OG Xbox came out and people saw this, they cried, screamed and, temper tantrumed all over the floor... But is was for the greater good. Sometimes you have to give the people, what's good for them and not back down from it... I'm happy MS Is stressing internet connection, and those who decide to connect to it, get to enjoy the benefits of it.. Those who are offline and don't want it, should not scream no fair...

And something like this can be a voice... Someone could be a die hard Xbox fan, wants all of this... Realizes their ISP sucks... They paying all this money to them and not getting a good return on investment... Now you start picking up the phone, and asking your respective ISP what the heck are they doing with your money.. The infrastructure has been the same for that past 6-8yrs, your charging top dollar and I only get 1.5 down and .5 up... Demand results or start a revolution...

#27 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:22

I'm confused how removing the 24 hour check in prevents any of those features you described in online games and what that has to do with DRM or the cloud.

In fact what it does is make it so people who don't have reliable 24/7 internet connections can now realisticly say it will be worthwhile for them to invest in getting an xbox one.

#28 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:24

But like I said, if Ms didn't force a broadband connection on us all those years ago...

Huh. As far as I know Microsoft didn't force me to get a broadband connection. I've gone through the ranges of Internet connections, and it was to do with the price that my ISP was offering, it had nothing to do with Microsoft. Anyway, just a minor correction there. ;)

I'm happy MS Is stressing internet connection, and those who decide to connect to it, get to enjoy the benefits of it.. Those who are offline and don't want it, should not scream no fair...

But again, think about it from the other perspective. For the people that are screaming, "no fair!" are Microsoft going to do something to satisfy them? Probably not. But those people will then move to a different console. From a business perspective, Microsoft don't want that to happen.

I'm not criticizing anyone in this situation. I'm just saying that Microsoft may end up looking at their finances and saying, "oops. People actually do vote with their wallet..."

#29 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:38

Er, I dont see how the internet has f-all to do with MS Xbox one. Its online yes.... but its a game console so it should be offline aswell?

Internet should not be integral to a consoles success. It should merely enhance what is already there.

Shifting blame to ISP`s because they`ve not pushed technology x upon us or viewing them as orwellian overlords because there business models have limitations.....

...is that not what MS have just tried?

So what now we just blame the bigger/other kids?

#30 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:38

Huh. As far as I know Microsoft didn't force me to get a broadband connection. I've gone through the ranges of Internet connections, and it was to do with the price that my ISP was offering, it had nothing to do with Microsoft. Anyway, just a minor correction there. ;)But again, think about it from the other perspective. For the people that are screaming, "no fair!" are Microsoft going to do something to satisfy them? Probably not. But those people will then move to a different console. From a business perspective, Microsoft don't want that to happen.I'm not criticizing anyone in this situation. I'm just saying that Microsoft may end up looking at their finances and saying, "oops. People actually do vote with their wallet..."

People have voted with their wallet.., but my views are in general and not pointed to one particular person...
MS showed their device at the reveal, they made it clear as day what is was all about... Always connected...
That moment right there is when you make a choice, this isn't the product I want, so I'm leaving and go with the other brand.
And some did, because the other company had just what they wanted...