Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iuidiuwhdiuhw

Windows 8.1 doesn

16 posts in this topic

The upcoming launch of Windows 8.1 isn?t expected to save the sliding PC industry. Loren Loverde of IDC believes that worldwide PC shipments could improve slightly in the second half of the year with the help of back-to-school specials and holiday shopping. The analyst noted that the results from May are ?behind pace for achieving the projected 2Q13 growth rates,? however. Despite projecting small improvements for later this year, the firm warned that the market will ?likely remain cautious about the second half of 2013.?

?The expectation for the second quarter was not all that high, showing only minor improvement from the first quarter,? Loverde said. ?But the May results reflect deteriorating conditions rather than improvement and the market will probably fall short of projections.? IDC previously estimated that annual PC sales will decline -7.8% in 2013.

W8 lost one customer like. if you hate W8 buy a mac its so much better

http://bgr.com/2013/07/01/pc-sales-may-2013-increase/

Probably has to do with increasing switch to tablets/mobile phones, which isn't surprising since most desktop computers today have become giant facebook/email machines.

3 people like this

agree with the post above, PC sales were declining before 8 shipped and the growing trend for 'consumers' to ditch the classic desktop/laptop which is generally overkill for checking email and facebook leads me to think this is less a windows 8 'issue' and more of a larger trend.

That said, we'll see if/when more RT tablets emerge at lower prices and if 'consumers' see these as viable alternatives to the kindle fire etc. crowds needs, also do RT/windows 8 tablets get included in these stats anyway? If not then if/when more get these devices it will not effect the 'decline' in PC sales while at the same time Windows 8 will be selling fine.

As long as customers see this on the shelves when shopping for a new computer ... I think it's doomed.

dsc02154-1369145282.jpg

1 person likes this

agree with the post above, PC sales were declining before 8 shipped and the growing trend for 'consumers' to ditch the classic desktop/laptop which is generally overkill for checking email and facebook leads me to think this is less a windows 8 'issue' and more of a larger trend.

That said, we'll see if/when more RT tablets emerge at lower prices and if 'consumers' see these as viable alternatives to the kindle fire etc. crowds needs, also do RT/windows 8 tablets get included in these stats anyway? If not then if/when more get these devices it will not effect the 'decline' in PC sales while at the same time Windows 8 will be selling fine.

neither windows tablets,hybrids nor ultrabooks get counted as PC. those are in totally different categories. don't get fooled with PC sales being windows devices sales,because both IDC and Gartner classify PCs as traditional desktops,and traditional notebooks only, while ultrabooks,hybrids,surface, are counted in the ultraportables, and pure windows 8 tablets without keyboard attachments are counted as tablets. Just read their press releases and reports,all of this is presented in there. 

this is due to the fact that Windows 8 while, it works on PC's, it was meant as a tablet platform. This throws the PC market into turmoil automatically. I do NOT foresee Windows 8 tablets or ipads being a death kneel for laptops or desktops.

OEM's are probably waiting to see just what the heck is going to happen with windows 9 if it materializes for sure. 

It's going to take a while but Windows 8 (or it's successor in all but name) will create the new way of working where you dock your tablet at work and access everything though the cloud, take it home for your own use and desktops are a thing of the past.

There are enormous cost savings for employers outsourcing everything (including your hardware, possibly with an allowance) and enormous gains for employees who want flexibility and choice.

I'll bet Microsoft can't wait to see the back of the desktop concept and have businesses subscribing for all their general IT needs.

Well, I would like this form factor as my next computer (seeing as I could use it as a desktop when needed and as tablet when needed ..but like stated below, an Apple computer will likely be my next purchase)

89985-hp-compaq-tc4200-swivel.jpg

and I would love the ability to be able to enter just about any text input into any default app on Windows 8 and have that inserted automatically into the same default app in Windows Phone 8 (I'm an iPhone user and use Notes and Reminders a lot, but a Windows 7 user - I've been kind of thinking lately to switching to OS X mainly because of this)

Well, what I would like is this form factor

and the ability to be able to enter just about any text input into any default app on Windows 8 and have that inserted automatically into same default app in Windows Phone 8 (I'm an iPhone user and use Notes and Reminders a lot, but a Windows 7 user - I've been kind of thinking lately to switching to OS X mainly because of this)

So how about 5 to 7 lbs lighter, HD screen, Core i5-CPU, 4GB ram, multi-touch screen with stylus, detachable keyboard that also doubles as a screen cover (Surface Pro)

Well, I would like this form factor as my next computer (seeing as I could use it as a desktop when needed and as tablet when needed ..but like stated below, an Apple computer will likely be my next purchase)

and I would love the ability to be able to enter just about any text input into any default app on Windows 8 and have that inserted automatically into the same default app in Windows Phone 8 (I'm an iPhone user and use Notes and Reminders a lot, but a Windows 7 user - I've been kind of thinking lately to switching to OS X mainly because of this)

So in other words you want this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/21/lenovo-thinkpad-twist-review/

So how about 5 to 7 lbs lighter, HD screen, Core i5-CPU, 4GB ram, multi-touch screen with stylus, detachable keyboard that also doubles as a screen cover (Surface Pro)

I didn't know the Surface had a rotating screen and the form factor he was looking for. :blink:

So in other words you want this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/21/lenovo-thinkpad-twist-review/

I didn't know the Surface had a rotating screen and the form factor he was looking for. :blink:

Yepp, thanks (Y) but know about this one from Lenovo; only problem I have with Lenovo Thinkpads is the red button on the keypad, I know it serves a purpose, but I'm never going to use it, but I can live with that. Now all I would need is synchronization between WP8 and Windows 8 (I know about email and such, but it would be nice if there were more apps like that :yes: ..hopefully that will come soon)

As long as customers see this on the shelves when shopping for a new computer ... I think it's doomed.

dsc02154-1369145282.jpg

What's wrong with that?

neither windows tablets,hybrids nor ultrabooks get counted as PC. those are in totally different categories. don't get fooled with PC sales being windows devices sales,because both IDC and Gartner classify PCs as traditional desktops,and traditional notebooks only, while ultrabooks,hybrids,surface, are counted in the ultraportables, and pure windows 8 tablets without keyboard attachments are counted as tablets. Just read their press releases and reports,all of this is presented in there. 

RT devices shouldnt be counted, but if they are running Windows 8, it should be counted.  Would give a more accurate count.  Should be based on OS version, not device.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing imo

so you want an xps 12 with office 2013 . One note does this between a windows phone 8 and one note 2013.  syncing with skydrive.

It wouldn't sway me, I'd still buy bare hardware and install what I like