Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Connectivity Problems

Question

Posted

Hello,

I seem to be stumped with my connectivity problems.  Several months ago, my internet and network got so bad we replaced our routers.  It got so bad that even with gigabit ethernet, data transfer only went at a max of 1 MB per second (but typically it only went half that speed).  Since we switched routers, things have been much better internally.

However, externally there are still issues.  With our previous routers, whenever somebody would download something....anything that takes a while to download like more than 30 seconds, any website or any external network access was severly crippled.  It would take Neowin (for example) about 5 minutes before it would begin loading, then another minute to download the images.  It was really worse than dialup.

Okay, so we switched our routers.  Things seemed fine.  But the issues started happening again shortly after.  This is a different issue though.  Whenever somebody downloads a large file, SOMETIMES (not every time which is weird) I will get DNS issues.  When I try to visit a page, it will say DNS Lookup Failed (in Chrome, IE and Safari says it cannot connect).  Okay, so I then tried Open DNS and Google DNS.  Same issues.  I made sure everything was fine on the routers and just left it pointing to OpenDNS.

Now, when it does work, I get similar results as with the previous routers.  veeeeeerrrrrryyyyyyy slow internet.  But the weird thing is, if I start downloading from Steam or downloading a really big file, I get my 2.7 MB./s.  But visiting websites, images take forever to load?

This is just a weird situation that I cannot seem to resolve.  And it is not all the time so diagnosing is a bit of a problem.

Oh I did not mention the best part yet.  Sometimes, when sites DO load.  It will NOT load the CSS or Images.  That is really weird.  I have no idea why it is having issues.  Even on sites that have images / css on the same site.

It happens on every device that is connected.  iPhone, iPad, laptops, desktops, OSX, Windows 7, Windows 8, Xbox, Playstation, Smart TV trying to get to Netflix, you name it.

The only fix I have for when this happens, is to do a flush dns.  Then things work immediately after.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on?  I have had our ISP come out and look at it several times and they could not find anything.  Is there a way to not allow DNS to be cached in Windows and OS X (so I will not need to do the flush dns)?

26 answers to this question

Posted

If it does - make sure to query your dns directly so we can get some details if dns is issue or router, or line being saturated, etc.