HTC confirms One S will no longer receive Android updates

onesdsc03380mat800-1372781767.jpg

It's not a Nexus, so suspend your disbelief: HTC's One S will not be getting any further Android updates. That's right, One S owners, your device is now officially a relic. In a statement released to the press, HTC today confirmed that the mid-ranger, which bowed last year in tandem with the One X, will remain frozen on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. That means current owners will have to look elsewhere (read: developer forums) for unofficial access to Sense 5 ROMs and the latest tweaks Google's packed into Android 4.2 updates. We can't really lament the loss of BlinkFeed, but it sure would've been nice to see HTC port Zoe over to the device. At the very least, this makes a strong case for that Google Play edition One and its promise of consistent updates.

"We can confirm that the HTC One S will not receive further Android OS updates and will remain on the current version of Android and HTC Sense. We realize this news will be met with disappointment by some, but our customers should feel confident that we have designed the HTC One S to be optimized with our amazing camera and audio experiences."

LOL...

Is this the same phone I read fresh reviews of the last year? Ridiculous what they get away with. The only Android phone I would use would be a Nexus.

This is what annoys me about android. They end support for this device of which is just over a year old and it isn't even running the CURRENT version of android. They haven't even bothered to update it to 4.2 before screwing the users over.

It would be nice to see a bigger selection of nexus devices on the market. I know the S4 and One X have Google Editions, but they aren't nexus phones and they certainly aren't AOSP (see the S4GE, it's still running Samsung stuff).

I bought an S4 because I knew I could load CyanogenMod on it and it's quite stable, there are still a few issues with it but they will get sorted :)

This is what annoys me about HTC.

There, fixed that for you. HTC does not represent Android as a whole. Other companies support their phones much longer and this is what got HTC in this mess. Part of it. The Nexus devices are the way to go.

I suppose that is true, HTC are the worst offender for this.

Samsung do support their devices for longer :)