Windows 8 and hyper-v

win8

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:58

Hi guys, iv been trying to install hyper-v to my windows 8 pro computer but every time i let it restart to finish installing it won't boot to my desktop and just shows my boot screen and i have to in the end restore the computer to an earlier time, so i was wondering if anyone would know what could be wrong with my computer.

#2 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:02

I have been running it for more than a year now with no issues. What CPU & GPU are you running it on and? Also ensure your motherboard & BIOS support virtualization and it is enabled.

#3 OP sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:06

I am running a i5-2400 process and gpu is ATI Radeon HD 5780 Series

#4 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:46

Gigabyte motherboard?

#5 OP sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:59

I am using Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard if that helps.

#6 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:20

You need to update the BIOS.  There've been numerous issues with Gigabyte boards and Hyper-V.

Also, the Execute Disable Bit option in the Bios needs to be enabled.

#7 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:00

Speaking of Hyper-V, I found a surprise in the Hyper-V support category - AMD APUs (certainly most of them, if not all of them).

I had an older AMD APU (E350-based) notebook come in this week that has turned out to be far more broken (software-wise) than expected - not only was the core install broken, but so was the factory restore image (it came with Windows 7 pre-installed).  That means that a complete from-scratch reinstall is a necessary.  (So NOT fun.)

However, to make sure that it was, in fact, the OS itself, I killed the existing OS install (but not the restore partitions) and threw Windows 8 Pro on as a check-test.  The install went swimmingly.  As a further check, I installed updated drivers for everything - from graphics to networking; still no problems.  Finally, I went into the Programs and Features part of Control Panel, and the Hyper-V checkboxes - now if your CPU/APU does NOT support Extended Processor Tables, while you will be able to add the Hyper-V management tools, the Hyper-V core won't install (as is the case with my desktop - the LGA775-based Intel Q6600, and all of its socketmates, don't support Extended Processor Tables - hence, no Hyper-V in Windows 8).  However, this AMD APU-based notebook does indeed support the APU equivalent of EPT, and the E-350 is one of AMD's older APUs.  (Rather amusingly, the NIQ, or Notebook in Question, is an Acer Aspire 5250.)

A decided surprise.

#8 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:32

Bro had similar issues, turned out with was USB3 so check into that too.

#9 OP sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:20

Ok thanks for that guys i will update my bios and il enable the execution thing as well 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!