64 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:01

Xbox One's Titanfall dominates E3 2013 Game Critics Awards
by John Callaham

While Microsoft is not publishing Titanfall directly, the company has to be pleased that the game from developer Respawn Entertainment is going to be released for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and the PC. Today, the upcoming sci-fi multiplayer shooter that pits humans against 24 foot tall mech-like vehicles called Titans won six awards from the annual E3 Game Critics Awards.

The awards, voted on by a group of both mainstream and game centric journalists, named Titanfall as the Best of Show overall, along with wins for Best Original Game, Best Console Game, Best PC Game, Best Action Game and Best Online Multiplayer.

While Titanfall will also be released for the PC and Xbox 360, the team at Respawn seem to be targeting the Xbox One as their main platform. That's due to the fact that the game will use the cloud-based features of Microsoft's console to help with things like AI and physics so that the hardware in the console itself will take care of other features. Titanfall will also support dedicated servers on the Xbox One. The game, to be published by Electronic Arts, is due out in the spring of 2014.

Source: Game Critics Awards | Image via Respawn Entertainment

#2 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,860 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:11

might need to upgrade me gfx card for this thing

#3 Matrix XII

Matrix XII

System F

• 10,464 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:17

Looks good and I'll probably get it for PC, but this game, I think, is getting too overhyped. The media is just shoving it down our throats at this point.

#4 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

• 778 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:27

I want to get it for PC but with how things are looking, all my friends getting it for Xbox One...it shall be copped for Xbox One.

#5 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:27

"Xbox One's Titanfall"

Uh, what?

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,369 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:46

While I "think" I like the game, there is one problem with it. Is not a "mech"game.it looks awesome as a fast paced action shooter game.

But mechs that move hat fast and dodge and all that... Eh it's like hat other mech game hats out, they don't feel like mechs, jus like you're a hyperactive super soldier running about, and in this game you can choose to be huge.

So far the only current mech game that actually makes you feel like you're piloting a massive mech sighting 30-100 tons is Mechwarrior Online.

I'll probably end up getting this game if there isn't an abundance of other quality xbox one games at launch, but not because of the mechs.

#7 coth

coth

Neowinian

• 1,305 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:37

Usually, something that gets highly awarded prior release turns to be a big disappointment after release.

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,184 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:58

It looked like fun, and I imagine the critics got to see it in action rather than a premade video.  I dug what I saw of it.

#9 goatsniffer

goatsniffer

Supercalifragilisticexpialidosh

• 1,091 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:49

Here is what I don't get. I still play my PSX, PS2, PSP, SNES, Dreamcast, XBOX. What happens in 10yrs to all this cloud assisted content? Do these games not work anymore?

#10 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,127 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:06

Firstly, TitanFall is not locked to the Xbox One, so it can release to the PS4 and the developers have said if the game is popular on Xbox they will likely release it for the PS4.

EA is the publisher and they only do timed exclusives which means they'll get paid by a console maker to release to their console first either the game or DLC's.

Here is what I don't get. I still play my PSX, PS2, PSP, SNES, Dreamcast, XBOX. What happens in 10yrs to all this cloud assisted content? Do these games not work anymore?

Yes they will stop working. 'Cloud' gaming is just an over-hyped word which means that game data will be stored on dedicated servers, so game worlds, AI, etc. So when they decide to go, so does the ability to play the game.

Both PS4 and Xbox One have the 'cloud' capabilities, the only hardware it requires is an internet connection everything else is software controlled. Destiny for example is on both consoles and will use this 'cloud'.

TitanFall looks like a fun game, I personally can't play shooters with a controller so I'll grab it for PC (Mouse/Keyboard).

#11 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:48

I really don't get the fuss over this game (although it isn't really my thing, but I usually get why others like games that aren't my cup of tea). The cynic in me says it is more a reaction from the press to the people developing it, rather than the game itself. The press have been harping on about the ex-Infinity Ward guy's next project ever since they left IW/Activision. That isn't to say it won't be a good game, just that I think the press are perhaps over-hyping it.

Also, I see we are inventing magical cloud capabilities again in the article. Respawn themselves explained the cloud the best.

#12 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,184 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:28

Also, I see we are inventing magical cloud capabilities again in the article. Respawn themselves explained the cloud the best.

If the dedicated server is handling the AI (which we've been doing in every multiplayer game with bots) it would also need to handle some of the physics if the AI needs to react to it.  Not exactly magical.

#13 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,851 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:39

might need to upgrade me gfx card for this thing

You're not playing Titanfall unless you're playing on a GTX Titan.

#14 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:31

If the dedicated server is handling the AI (which we've been doing in every multiplayer game with bots) it would also need to handle some of the physics if the AI needs to react to it.  Not exactly magical.

I've not seen anything reliable saying the dedicated server is handling AI and physics. Just that the dedicated servers removes the need for the console to waste power figuring out the multiplayer, so more power can be dedicated to AI and physics (from Respawn explaining the cloud themselves). Not to dismiss what you say though, as that is again a perfectly plausible implementation of the cloud. I get irritated though when articles (and companies) misleadingly infer that the cloud will handle far more than just the "persistance" or "sync" of a multiplayer game.

I take most claims surrounding "the cloud" with a massive pinch of salt (that Respawn article is the first decent cloud article I've read in ages).

#15 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,443 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:07

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to win the "Best of Show" award, the game has to be playable. So, it makes sense that Titanfall would win,  even though it's basically COD with mechs. (sorry they're not mechs, apparently) Most of the interesting games were just canned demos that the press wasn't allowed to play. So the Best of Show and Best Multiplayer I can completely understand. But I'm not really sure how it won Best Original Game, Best Console Game, or Best Action Game. It was neither original or the most interesting looking console game.

I agree that a lot of the hype surrounding this game has to do with it being the next project from the "real" Infinity Ward. I'm fine with that because MW1 was amazing, and it completely changed the multiplayer landscape, of all genres. So it only makes sense that same team (mostly) would make another game with the same impact.

But the way the press is throwing around these "awards" for this game just makes me think that all the reviews are going to be 10/10 even though the game is rather bland. But who knows, even if the graphics are decidedly current gen looking and the game play is derivative, maybe it's super fun to play.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!