65 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]Xbox One's Titanfall dominates E3 2013 Game Critics Awards[/size]
by John Callaham

While Microsoft is not publishing Titanfall directly, the company has to be pleased that the game from developer Respawn Entertainment is going to be released for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and the PC. Today, the upcoming sci-fi multiplayer shooter that pits humans against 24 foot tall mech-like vehicles called Titans won six awards from the annual E3 Game Critics Awards.

The awards, voted on by a group of both mainstream and game centric journalists, named Titanfall as the Best of Show overall, along with wins for Best Original Game, Best Console Game, Best PC Game, Best Action Game and Best Online Multiplayer.

While Titanfall will also be released for the PC and Xbox 360, the team at Respawn seem to be targeting the Xbox One as their main platform. That's due to the fact that the game will use the cloud-based features of Microsoft's console to help with things like AI and physics so that the hardware in the console itself will take care of other features. Titanfall will also support dedicated servers on the Xbox One. The game, to be published by Electronic Arts, is due out in the spring of 2014.

Source: Game Critics Awards | Image via Respawn Entertainment

Posted

might need to upgrade me gfx card for this thing

Posted

Looks good and I'll probably get it for PC, but this game, I think, is getting too overhyped. The media is just shoving it down our throats at this point.

Posted

I want to get it for PC but with how things are looking, all my friends getting it for Xbox One...it shall be copped for Xbox One.

Posted

"Xbox One's Titanfall"

Uh, what?

1 person likes this

Posted

While I "think" I like the game, there is one problem with it. Is not a "mech"game.it looks awesome as a fast paced action shooter game.

But mechs that move hat fast and dodge and all that... Eh it's like hat other mech game hats out, they don't feel like mechs, jus like you're a hyperactive super soldier running about, and in this game you can choose to be huge.

So far the only current mech game that actually makes you feel like you're piloting a massive mech sighting 30-100 tons is Mechwarrior Online.

I'll probably end up getting this game if there isn't an abundance of other quality xbox one games at launch, but not because of the mechs.

Posted

Usually, something that gets highly awarded prior release turns to be a big disappointment after release.

2 people like this

Posted

It looked like fun, and I imagine the critics got to see it in action rather than a premade video.  I dug what I saw of it.

Posted

Here is what I don't get. I still play my PSX, PS2, PSP, SNES, Dreamcast, XBOX. What happens in 10yrs to all this cloud assisted content? Do these games not work anymore?

2 people like this

Posted

Firstly, TitanFall is not locked to the Xbox One, so it can release to the PS4 and the developers have said if the game is popular on Xbox they will likely release it for the PS4.

EA is the publisher and they only do timed exclusives which means they'll get paid by a console maker to release to their console first either the game or DLC's.

Here is what I don't get. I still play my PSX, PS2, PSP, SNES, Dreamcast, XBOX. What happens in 10yrs to all this cloud assisted content? Do these games not work anymore?

Yes they will stop working. 'Cloud' gaming is just an over-hyped word which means that game data will be stored on dedicated servers, so game worlds, AI, etc. So when they decide to go, so does the ability to play the game.

Both PS4 and Xbox One have the 'cloud' capabilities, the only hardware it requires is an internet connection everything else is software controlled. Destiny for example is on both consoles and will use this 'cloud'.

TitanFall looks like a fun game, I personally can't play shooters with a controller so I'll grab it for PC (Mouse/Keyboard).

Posted

I really don't get the fuss over this game (although it isn't really my thing, but I usually get why others like games that aren't my cup of tea). The cynic in me says it is more a reaction from the press to the people developing it, rather than the game itself. The press have been harping on about the ex-Infinity Ward guy's next project ever since they left IW/Activision. That isn't to say it won't be a good game, just that I think the press are perhaps over-hyping it.

Also, I see we are inventing magical cloud capabilities again in the article. Respawn themselves explained the cloud the best.

Posted

Also, I see we are inventing magical cloud capabilities again in the article. Respawn themselves explained the cloud the best.

If the dedicated server is handling the AI (which we've been doing in every multiplayer game with bots) it would also need to handle some of the physics if the AI needs to react to it.  Not exactly magical.

Posted

might need to upgrade me gfx card for this thing

You're not playing Titanfall unless you're playing on a GTX Titan.

1 person likes this

Posted

If the dedicated server is handling the AI (which we've been doing in every multiplayer game with bots) it would also need to handle some of the physics if the AI needs to react to it.  Not exactly magical.

I've not seen anything reliable saying the dedicated server is handling AI and physics. Just that the dedicated servers removes the need for the console to waste power figuring out the multiplayer, so more power can be dedicated to AI and physics (from Respawn explaining the cloud themselves). Not to dismiss what you say though, as that is again a perfectly plausible implementation of the cloud. I get irritated though when articles (and companies) misleadingly infer that the cloud will handle far more than just the "persistance" or "sync" of a multiplayer game.

I take most claims surrounding "the cloud" with a massive pinch of salt (that Respawn article is the first decent cloud article I've read in ages).

Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to win the "Best of Show" award, the game has to be playable. So, it makes sense that Titanfall would win,  even though it's basically COD with mechs. (sorry they're not mechs, apparently) Most of the interesting games were just canned demos that the press wasn't allowed to play. So the Best of Show and Best Multiplayer I can completely understand. But I'm not really sure how it won Best Original Game, Best Console Game, or Best Action Game. It was neither original or the most interesting looking console game.

I agree that a lot of the hype surrounding this game has to do with it being the next project from the "real" Infinity Ward. I'm fine with that because MW1 was amazing, and it completely changed the multiplayer landscape, of all genres. So it only makes sense that same team (mostly) would make another game with the same impact.

But the way the press is throwing around these "awards" for this game just makes me think that all the reviews are going to be 10/10 even though the game is rather bland. But who knows, even if the graphics are decidedly current gen looking and the game play is derivative, maybe it's super fun to play.

Posted

I've not seen anything reliable saying the dedicated server is handling AI and physics. Just that the dedicated servers removes the need for the console to waste power figuring out the multiplayer, so more power can be dedicated to AI and physics (from Respawn explaining the cloud themselves). Not to dismiss what you say though, as that is again a perfectly plausible implementation of the cloud. I get irritated though when articles (and companies) misleadingly infer that the cloud will handle far more than just the "persistance" or "sync" of a multiplayer game.

I take most claims surrounding "the cloud" with a massive pinch of salt (that Respawn article is the first decent cloud article I've read in ages).

I can imagine it could have lots of uses that haven't been explored yet in gaming outside of somewhat in MMOs...having your friends actions in a game affect your world even when you're nowhere near them or not even playing at the same time, sending out a call for assistance to players/teams you don't even know, making coop games more than four people certainly.  Aside from that, even them just being available will draw teams that want connected experiences but don't want the overhead of setting everything up themselves.

Certainly I expect at first dedicated servers will be the big thing, but it should evolve more quickly when the devs and game publishers aren't the ones putting in all the work for it.

Posted

Firstly, TitanFall is not locked to the Xbox One, so it can release to the PS4 and the developers have said if the game is popular on Xbox they will likely release it for the PS4.

EA is the publisher and they only do timed exclusives which means they'll get paid by a console maker to release to their console first either the game or DLC's.

Yes they will stop working. 'Cloud' gaming is just an over-hyped word which means that game data will be stored on dedicated servers, so game worlds, AI, etc. So when they decide to go, so does the ability to play the game.

Both PS4 and Xbox One have the 'cloud' capabilities, the only hardware it requires is an internet connection everything else is software controlled. Destiny for example is on both consoles and will use this 'cloud'.

TitanFall looks like a fun game, I personally can't play shooters with a controller so I'll grab it for PC (Mouse/Keyboard).

Stop posting false information.

The whole Azure platform, which is used by most of the top 50 businesses in the world, is going to shut down after the Xbox 1 has finished its lifespan? Come on.

To the quote in bold. You really don't have a clue what your on about, its not glorified data storage but server farming which is completely different. Its not over hyped, its an unprecedented feature which will of took colossal amount of man hours to implement in both the hardware and software of the X1. It'll provide many cool features in games in the years to come.

Regarding Titanfall, I don't see how it grabbed all awards but it does seem exciting! I really hope it doesn't disappoint, sounds like it has potential to be a big IP this generation.

The azure platform generates computer AI which is seen in online play. There's mech and AI fights in the background which get generated in the cloud. It was mentioned in the Respawn article regarding the cloud I'm pretty sure.

2 people like this

Posted

Stop posting false information.

The whole Azure platform, which is used by most of the top 50 businesses in the world, is going to shut down after the Xbox 1 has finished its lifespan? Come on.

To the quote in bold. You really don't have a clue what your on about, its not glorified data storage but server farming which is completely different. Its not over hyped, its an unprecedented feature which will of took colossal amount of man hours to implement in both the hardware and software of the X1. It'll provide many cool features in games in the years to come.

You have clearly fallen for the hype, Azure is a business platform, you know what it does? Its a server which hosts applications which you use from whatever computer you want.. So basically remote access services/servers.

Its selling point is that its dedicated servers are hosted by Microsoft servers and that if you wanted to add applications its instantaneous and cheaper than buying retail... It could also save businesses money cause Microsoft will update their own servers so you don't have to pay to constantly update your computers and also save in IT costs as Microsoft will handle all IT related issues..

Azure is something that web hosts have been doing for years the only difference is web hosts cater to people/businesses who want to build web sites / services, Microsoft cater to people who want a remote computer.

Now onto the fact that after a few years games like TitanFall wont even work, the developers of TitanFall will either host their own dedicated 'cloud' servers or pay Microsoft to host the game data which is required to play the game, Do you think in 10 years time they will still be paying to keep these services running after the game has stopped being profitable for many years? They won't and this doesn't mean the Microsoft Azure system will stop working it just means the game developers/publishers will stop supporting it and the game will cease to work. The only way they can make these games work is if they patch them and let people host the game data on their own computers/consoles.

You must be one of those people who think 'cloud' computing will make your console a supercomputer maybe 3x faster than it is? That cloud computing will make your system future proof and heaps of other jargon.

This is false, what cloud computing for gaming can do is host large game data like maps or game worlds, this includes the AI and objects inside this map/game world. This is good because it saves storage room on your console and it also allows game developers to make changes to the game world, add extra sections, new AI, new objects and extend the map. It also has the bandwidth to support many players so multiplayer should be smoother/less lag than p2p hosted games.

- With this being said PS4 has the exact same capabilities in regards to the 'cloud'.

'Cloud' computing is limited by bandwidth today and as soon as we get internet connections which are capable of streaming 4K content while uploading controller inputs to game servers with extremely low latency then the 'cloud' computing that you think is here will be here. (We are quite a few year off though and PS4 Gaikai system is more similar than Azures for this method anyway)

3 people like this

Posted

I can imagine it could have lots of uses that haven't been explored yet in gaming outside of somewhat in MMOs...having your friends actions in a game affect your world even when you're nowhere near them or not even playing at the same time, sending out a call for assistance to players/teams you don't even know, making coop games more than four people certainly.  Aside from that, even them just being available will draw teams that want connected experiences but don't want the overhead of setting everything up themselves.

Certainly I expect at first dedicated servers will be the big thing, but it should evolve more quickly when the devs and game publishers aren't the ones putting in all the work for it.

Those are all perfectly reasonable uses. As I said, my issue is with the false claims surrounding the capabilities of the cloud and the (purposely?) poor representation of the capabilities it does have. If you believed half the rubbish written about the cloud, next-gen games will be doing all their physics, graphics post-processing, non-multiplayer AI and loading in the cloud.

The azure platform generates computer AI which is seen in online play. There's mech and AI fights in the background which get generated in the cloud. It was mentioned in the Respawn article regarding the cloud I'm pretty sure.

You're right, it does mention the ability to have more AI in multiplayer as one of the possible uses of the dedicated server. Only mention of physics though is with regards to there being more power available on the console itself for physics, although there would need to be a small amount of that done server side too (presumably some sort of trajectory calculation/hit detection). Not that that is anything new, just consoles getting what PCs have had for years.

As I said, my main issue is with the way what the cloud can do is often misrepresented (not just with games either).

Posted

You have clearly fallen for the hype, Azure is a business platform, you know what it does? Its a server which hosts applications which you use from whatever computer you want.. So basically remote access services/servers.

Its selling point is that its dedicated servers are hosted by Microsoft servers and that if you wanted to add applications its instantaneous and cheaper than buying retail... It could also save businesses money cause Microsoft will update their own servers so you don't have to pay to constantly update your computers and also save in IT costs as Microsoft will handle all IT related issues..

Azure is something that web hosts have been doing for years the only difference is web hosts cater to people/businesses who want to build web sites / services, Microsoft cater to people who want a remote computer.

Now onto the fact that after a few years games like TitanFall wont even work, the developers of TitanFall will either host their own dedicated 'cloud' servers or pay Microsoft to host the game data which is required to play the game, Do you think in 10 years time they will still be paying to keep these services running after the game has stopped being profitable for many years? They won't and this doesn't mean the Microsoft Azure system will stop working it just means the game developers/publishers will stop supporting it and the game will cease to work. The only way they can make these games work is if they patch them and let people host the game data on their own computers/consoles.

You must be one of those people who think 'cloud' computing will make your console a supercomputer maybe 3x faster than it is? That cloud computing will make your system future proof and heaps of other jargon.

This is false, what cloud computing for gaming can do is host large game data like maps or game worlds, this includes the AI and objects inside this map/game world. This is good because it saves storage room on your console and it also allows game developers to make changes to the game world, add extra sections, new AI, new objects and extend the map. It also has the bandwidth to support many players so multiplayer should be smoother/less lag than p2p hosted games.

- With this being said PS4 has the exact same capabilities in regards to the 'cloud'.

'Cloud' computing is limited by bandwidth today and as soon as we get internet connections which are capable of streaming 4K content while uploading controller inputs to game servers with extremely low latency then the 'cloud' computing that you think is here will be here. (We are quite a few year off though and PS4 Gaikai system is more similar than Azures for this method anyway)

No, you've fallen for all the people who don't understand cloud computing and marked this as something to not get excited about. I've built, worked with and played with platforms like this.

Azure is simply not a web host with the ability to run applications, its far far far more complicated than a basic dude with a server and a LAMP stack. You could do remote application execution using protocols like SOAP and PHP, but that's nowhere near the technology we're talking about in Azure. We're referring to low-level code being executed in parallel across the amount of servers it needs. Its a fully dynamic,service which can expand to whatever that application needs. Its also spread globally across their infrastructure, and that is needed for a global roll out of a consumer device which will use it.

Its not just for data storage, it could process the whole frame if it wanted to, you've just got to give it applications which aren't effected by latency. This could be static light maps, particle effects, shaders, complex AI, non-player interacting physics. The limits are endless, as long as what you need it for isn't effected by latency. Bandwidth isn't a problem. We're not receiving video back here or pictures, its raw graphical data. So loads of numbers and commands and code and stuff, it hardly uses any bandwidth.

If there's a game which could offload 66% of its processing to Azure, then the X1 would be 3x more powerful. For a game to offload that much too a server farm and not be effected would be very slim, but the technology is there and it makes the X1 more powerful because its processing less. Hows that hard to understand?

Regarding the PS4, it doesn't and can't have the same functionality. This needs a global infrastructure on a unprecedented sale. Azure is the only platform in the world to support this. That's a fact. Also the X1 has hardware which compresses data to send to this service so it offloads it from the CPU, stuff like that make a huge difference.

1 person likes this

Posted

No, you've fallen for all the people who don't understand cloud computing and marked this as something to not get excited about. I've built, worked with and played with platforms like this.

Azure is simply not a web host with the ability to run applications, its far far far more complicated than a basic dude with a server and a LAMP stack. You could do remote application execution using protocols like SOAP and PHP, but that's nowhere near the technology we're talking about in Azure. We're referring to low-level code being executed in parallel across the amount of servers it needs. Its a fully dynamic,service which can expand to whatever that application needs. Its also spread globally across their infrastructure, and that is needed for a global roll out of a consumer device which will use it.

Its not just for data storage, it could process the whole frame if it wanted to, you've just got to give it applications which aren't effected by latency. This could be static light maps, particle effects, shaders, complex AI, non-player interacting physics. The limits are endless, as long as what you need it for isn't effected by latency. Bandwidth isn't a problem. We're not receiving video back here or pictures, its raw graphical data. So loads of numbers and commands and code and stuff, it hardly uses any bandwidth.

If there's a game which could offload 66% of its processing to Azure, then the X1 would be 3x more powerful. For a game to offload that much too a server farm and not be effected would be very slim, but the technology is there and it makes the X1 more powerful because its processing less. Hows that hard to understand?

Regarding the PS4, it doesn't and can't have the same functionality. This needs a global infrastructure on a unprecedented sale. Azure is the only platform in the world to support this. That's a fact.

The mere fact that you think Azure is the only platform which is capable of this cloud computing shows obvious fanboyism.

Feel free to believe what you want, I personally like both consoles for different reasons and can justly say that the 'cloud' is very over hyped (Mostly by Xbox fans to justify the lower specs of the console) and both consoles have the same capabilities.

Posted

Alot of other games at E3 looked more amazing then this. I reckon this would be another Ace Combat kinda game, and possibly sell on that same level too. 

Posted

Regarding the PS4, it doesn't and can't have the same functionality. This needs a global infrastructure on a unprecedented sale. Azure is the only platform in the world to support this. That's a fact. Also the X1 has hardware which compresses data to send to this service so it offloads it from the CPU, stuff like that make a huge difference.

I would suspect Sony is going to try to catch up by investing further into the Gaikai teams/tech.  I certainly don't believe they can't do it.

The mere fact that you think Azure is the only platform which is capable of this cloud computing shows obvious fanboyism.

Feel free to believe what you want, I personally like both consoles for different reasons and can justly say that the 'cloud' is very over hyped (Mostly by Xbox fans to justify the lower specs of the console) and both consoles have the same capabilities.

And you think they're the only ones displaying fanboyism, heh.

Posted

I would suspect Sony is going to try to catch up by investing further into the Gaikai teams/tech.  I certainly don't believe they can't do it.

And you think they're the only ones displaying fanboyism, heh.

Gaikai is a completely different kettle of fish. That runs a game on a computer then streams a heavily compressed video stream to your box. Its very cool technology but comparing it to Azure is quite chalk and cheese unfortunately.

Posted

<snip>

All of the things you listed in the third paragraph are either latency sensitive or pre-computed in the case of lightmaps. Azure might not be a "dude with a LAMP stack" (y u no LEMP), but really the only fundamental difference is of scale.

Sorry dude, but the other guy was right. You've fallen for the hype and the marketing, "Cloud" won't have any significant impact beyond stuff like fancy deep-inspection/learning AI. The best case scenario I can see in regards for leveraging it graphically could be for an MMO rendering far-off battles as a 2D backdrop for inclusion.

Let's face it, if "Cloud" was really going to have the huge impact people say it will, it would of been done already long ago. Either by an MMO vendor or a company like Valve as part of Steam or the Steambox project.