65 posts in this topic

Why would they not work?  It's an online multiplayer game ONLY.  Microsoft has purchased a ton of servers that are built for many "Cloud" features. Not only for dedicated servers, but many, many, many other "features".  It's not like Microsoft bought the servers only to waste them for online multiplayer games. 

Cloud processing games will default to the game data on disk when not online. 

There is no game data on disc which allows you to play offline, TitanFall is completely cloud/mmo/dedicated server based game.

This is an official post by Respawn Entertainment at there website detailing the 'Cloud' used by TitanFall on Microsofts Azure Servers.

It basically says the cloud is a dedicated server like how MMOs use it.

Best case scenario is Microsoft keeps the servers running the TitanFall game data for the life of the console which would be 8-10 years max. But I think after maybe 3-4 years of game release it's likely to get taken off the servers unless they make DLC's or Expansions which continue to make it profitable. (Similar to World of Warcraft)

There is no game data on disc which allows you to play offline, TitanFall is completely cloud/mmo/dedicated server based game.

This is an official post by Respawn Entertainment at there website detailing the 'Cloud' used by TitanFall on Microsofts Azure Servers.

It basically says the cloud is a dedicated server like how MMOs use it.

Best case scenario is Microsoft keeps the servers running the TitanFall game data for the life of the console which would be 8-10 years max. But I think after maybe 3-4 years of game release it's likely to get taken off the servers unless they make DLC's or Expansions which continue to make it profitable. (Similar to World of Warcraft)

The cloud servers that Microsoft has can do many, many things.  I will document this latter in more detail.

The dedicated server part is what they are using.  I haven't heard about anything else such as "server processing".

They are just opening up a VM on one of the 300 servers that they have available and using that.  Then over time the traffic will be lower and lower and the overhead will drop as well.  So, they shouldn't have to take this down for a very long time.

But the way the press is throwing around these "awards" for this game just makes me think that all the reviews are going to be 10/10 even though the game is rather bland. But who knows, even if the graphics are decidedly current gen looking and the game play is derivative, maybe it's super fun to play.

Sim City won a ton of "Best of E3" awards too, and look how that turned out. I wouldn't consider any "award" valid until the game is actually, you know, released.

But now with the cloud it's possible to have have quality photon maps AND destructible environments.

Doubtful, even if a developer was dumb enough to try and take that kind of approach. The size of the produced datasets is significant and the CPU time required probably in excess of what is provided, at the very least it would bog down the entire allocation just for one game.

What you need to understand is lightmapping is a type of tool for a specific situation, you don't use a hammer to saw something in half. Generally, pre-computed lightmaps have been used in conjunction with engines that use brush-based geometry (which don't lend well to world destructibility), the compile process for both is done out of engine (vvis and vrad for Source) and requires the source level data. (VMF files in Source's case) So by the time you're loading the map you're already too late to do any extra computation on that front.

You guys need to get real about this "OMIGAWD DA CLAOWD" hype-nonsense before you're critically disappointed. The only impact it'll have on graphics will be a bigger share of the frame budget due to AI offloading and so on.

Let me get this right, you believe the cinematic and game are the same thing except one doesn't have AI and physics?

Cinematics are made with 3D rendering programs similar to what Pixar would use to make a kids movie, the systems they use to render these cinematics have a lot more grunt that these next-gen consoles.

They are created with maya, lightwave, 3ds max or something similar, compressed and put into a video data file, All you console or PC does is play it on the system like playing a video.

They don't render these great looking cinematics at the same rate at which they play, it usually takes hours to render a few seconds the in-game engine cinematics that do the rendering in-game look exactly the same as the game itself and rely on the game engines AI logics and engine physics.

Have you ever played a Halo 1/2/3/Reach/ODST/4 or almost any other Xbox 360 game?

Have you ever played a Halo 1/2/3/Reach/ODST/4 or almost any other Xbox 360 game?

I haven't played much Halo cause I'm terrible on FPS games with a controller.. prefer mouse and keyboard so FPS on PC's.

But looking at the cinematics for Halo 4, the ones that look good are pre-rendered and it looks like the in-game engine. But the ones that look exactly like the game itself are real time. I don't see your point.

I haven't played much Halo cause I'm terrible on FPS games with a controller.. prefer mouse and keyboard so FPS on PC's.

But looking at the cinematics for Halo 4, the ones that look good are pre-rendered and it looks like the in-game engine. But the ones that look exactly like the game itself are real time. I don't see your point.

As far as I know, there are no pre-rendered cinematics in any of the Halo games. All of them are on the fly renders (except probably the Halo 4 prologue, not sure about that). My point is cinematics don't need to be pre-rendered anymore.

1 person likes this

Yeah, halo 3, Reach and 4 have NO pre rendered cut scenes, they're all in game.

Much like most console games except a few JRPGS nowadays.

1 person likes this

For someone that "seems" to be an expert on everything, he really isn't.

:laugh:

As far as I know, there are no pre-rendered cinematics in any of the Halo games. All of them are on the fly renders (except probably the Halo 4 prologue, not sure about that). My point is cinematics don't need to be pre-rendered anymore.

Of course they don't need to be pre-rendered, but in order to look much better than the game itself they need to be.

Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy Series, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, etc.

These plus many more modern games use pre-rendered cutscenes/cinematics.

The main two reasons game developers wouldn't do pre-rendered is because of size limitations on the disc, It may be why PS3 (25GB BD) had more than Xbox (8.5GB HD-DVD).

Also cost, some cinematics for a single game can go for longer than 1hr all together and would cost game developers almost as much as making a CGI movie.

All if not most Halo game have over 1hrs worth of cinematics and they are exclusive to the Xbox, so even if they wanted to dish out the cash to make pre-rendered cut scenes/cinematics they couldn't fit them on the HD-DVD unless they compressed them so much that the graphics improvements wouldn't even be noticeable. Even then in Halo 4 the  Prologue/Ending and terminals are pre-rendered.

With the Xbox One getting a Blu-Ray drive now we might start seeing more pre-rendered cinematics.

Except real time cust scenes DO look far better than in game graphics.and no no cut scenes in Halo 4 is pre rendered except the space ship stuff, actually I'm not sure about that either. 

and no you won't see more pre-rendered. even the PS3 is moving towards more in game cinematics, since real time cinematics already have much higher graphical fidelity than game, and it mixes with the game much better, you flow directly from cut scene to game and visa versa. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjA6rB98Yk'

Starts with the CGI intro, which explains backstory for the spartans, mostly used CGI becuse it doesn't use any game assets. and is set in a completely different time/location. 

then there's some gameplay, untill 8:26 when the real time cinematics starts, which even a blind person can tell has significantly higher graphical fidelity than in game.

with the next gen consoles having so much more power, you'll see in game cinematics being used a lot more. 

How a game-of-the-show turns into a pissing contest about cloud systems is quite interesting. Game looks fun, I'm glad a game with solid gameplay took the show rather than a game with fancy cutscenes and presentation as it's been the case recently. 

The difference between Gaikai and Azure is Gaikai can do 100% of its graphics processing externally cause it is a video stream. Azure cannot as it isn't.

This is kind of funny, people are making too much of these systems from both sides. In the end, the cloud is nothing more than a bunch of machines running in parallel remotely. They can do anything they're programmed to. 

You can store data, you can process data, in the end the biggest bottleneck is bandwidth.

You're not playing Titanfall unless you're playing on a GTX Titan.

This exageration made me chuckle :laugh:

Titanfall was really the unexpected game that impressed me at E3.

Xbox One's Titanfall dominates E3 2013 Game Critics Awards

by John Callaham

tf_lagoon_pilot_titanccc.jpg

While Microsoft is not publishing Titanfall directly, the company has to be pleased that the game from developer Respawn Entertainment is going to be released for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and the PC. Today, the upcoming sci-fi multiplayer shooter that pits humans against 24 foot tall mech-like vehicles called Titans won six awards from the annual E3 Game Critics Awards.

The awards, voted on by a group of both mainstream and game centric journalists, named Titanfall as the Best of Show overall, along with wins for Best Original Game, Best Console Game, Best PC Game, Best Action Game and Best Online Multiplayer.

While Titanfall will also be released for the PC and Xbox 360, the team at Respawn seem to be targeting the Xbox One as their main platform. That's due to the fact that the game will use the cloud-based features of Microsoft's console to help with things like AI and physics so that the hardware in the console itself will take care of other features. Titanfall will also support dedicated servers on the Xbox One. The game, to be published by Electronic Arts, is due out in the spring of 2014.

Source: Game Critics Awards | Image via Respawn Entertainment

I pretty much knew for awhile that xbox was dominant but I guess I learned it takes a while for some to get the memo lol