Answered Go to the full post wp8

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:57

I fear I may have made a mistake in purchasing a Nokia 920.

I've had it for about 48 hours now and found little niggles which are simply not great.  Been so excited to finally get one and move away from Android but it seems Google have really got their grips around me.

1) Battery

I know the screen is a huge power hungry display but I would have thought it might last at least 24 hours.  My Galaxy Nexus lasted around a day and a half.  The phone has been unplugged for about two hours and has just 85% left.  GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC all turned off.

I expect it will get better but it's pretty poor show coming out of the box.

2) Missing Features

I don't want to harp on about things like missing an FM radio and such (the example I know is coming).  It struck me with Android how easy it was (with the control widget) to turn GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth on or off.  I know there is an app that could do this but that means yet another app to clutter up the list.

> The "settings" menu is also a bit of a mess with everything seemingly chucked into one list.

> While it contributes to the look and feel, not having how much battery I have and what my signal is like permanently displayed is a downfall.

> Why no pattern or word available for a password?  Numbers only indeed!

> Keyboard is great, but why no long press on a top letter it becomes a number thus saving a separate button push?

3) Lack of Comparable Apps

I am sacrificing a good number of apps to move to Windows Phone as some don't have a suitable comparison.  I am surprised the BBC haven't published an official BBC news app as yet.  But of course, this is the problem, companies don't want to waste money creating an app for WP, so nobody buys WP, chicken and the egg and all that.

To be fair though, I haven't found any problems with Twitter or Facebook apps, which are fairly important.

4) Different Game Controls

There are some battleship type games that have strange controls but I guess this is something to get used to.  However other apps (such as a plane landing game) don't allow you to freely manipulate the plane where you want, therefore much more likely to cause a crash.

Also sad that the Nokia exclusives are chargeable.  I just assumed they were free for Lumia owners.

5) Physical Phone

The weight doesn't bother me but since it's been in my pocket, a warm patch is evident near the flash.  It's almost like the phone is doing something (to waste the battery) but I can't work out what.  The design though is top notch.  If I could have Android on it, it would be the best of both worlds.

6) Camera Features

Why do the lenses need to be separate apps?  I would have thought they would be an option within the camera, again to save cluttering up the app list.

Android's panorama is a lot better than Nokia's offering and the latter appears to be lacking a "world" option (panorama up/down/side to side/diagonal - creating huge photos).

On the plus side, the phone is smooth, looks great and is very functional.  I love the Metro design and the live tiles are nice, although I think I prefer little icons rather than a square.  A bit sad there are only three size options for live tiles instead of a sort of "draw your own" size.  While it feels like a "grown ups" phone that is getting down to the business of what a phone should be for, all these little niggles are just too many to ignore.

Do I think Windows Phone will survive?

Yes, most definitely.  But until it develops a little more then I am not convinced right now, especially shelling out the full whack (£429) to get the best.  Maybe I will look at cheaper phones, but I doubt I'll be purchasing any time soon.  Just annoying as I want to get away from Google services.

I would welcome thoughts.

Best Answer Sir Topham Hatt , 08 July 2013 - 07:57

Well, after a few more days I think the answer is no, I haven't made a mistake.

Perhaps the Lumia 920 isn't the right phone due to the cost, physical dimensions I don't know but the more I use Windows Phone 8, the more I feel better about it.

Yes, my gripes are still valid on why Microsoft chose to work the system like they have but it will only get better.  Plus, the more people use it, the more apps will be available as they will probably be in the end anyway.

Go to the full post

#2 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:06

1) My experience on my HTC 8X is that in some areas battery wont last the same. This is usually due to difficulty to obtain signal or flipping 4G/3G a lot.

2) Try connectivity tiles

3) Agree on the chicken and egg scenario. I am glad companies are turning around though and I also understand the BBC app frustration. Sky has one though for now.

4) Cant comment as I hate playing games with complex controls on a mobile phone

5) I originally wanted the 920 but when I saw the HTC 8x and 920 next to each other at a Microsoft booth I realised that the 920 was a brick, thick and felt crap when holding. Hence my 8x choice.

6) One thing to envy on the 920 is the camera. The lenses are not designed to be separate apps by Microsoft but it is something Nokia are doing

I would say the 925 would of been a better choice for you :)

#3 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:07

If you're not enjoying something, I wouldn't say it's a mistake. It's an experience.

Now you've had a go, you can (hopefully) easily change to another product.

#4 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:16

I recently dropped my HTC Windows Phone 8S and have a nice crack from corner to corner. The cost of repair is ~£100. For that price, I could look at getting a second hand phone. Since this has happened, I've been having serious doubts over the Windows Phone operating system. There are certain aspects that I really like:

1) The look of the OS

2) The keyboard & autocorrect

3) Xbox account linking

However my dislikes are far outweighing the likes now:

1) No separate volume control for ringer & apps/music

2) Lack of apps, and quality ones at that

3) Xbox Music needs a redesign

4) No proxy authentication feature, rendering it useless on business wireless

5) No FM radio (which I know is coming, but I don't think my phone has the physical ability)

6) Lumping all your contacts into one list, be it Microsoft account, Facebook, Google, etc. People like family appear multiple times, so then you have to go and link them all together, or 'hide' other contacts.

There are more downsides, I just can't think of them at the moment.

#5 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:20

If you're not enjoying something, I wouldn't say it's a mistake. It's an experience.

Now you've had a go, you can (hopefully) easily change to another product.

Yep and I think this is it.
I am trying to enjoy it as I want to have the phone and OS so will probably give it another few days to see if I can convert and if not then head back to the little green monster.

6) Lumping all your contacts into one list, be it Microsoft account, Facebook, Google, etc. People like family appear multiple times, so then you have to go and link them all together, or 'hide' other contacts.

This is something I discovered from Outlook.com and wish they had an option to sync contacts (like Android... again!).  I don't mind linking my accounts, but there are people I follow on Twitter and Facebook that I don't want in my email contact list.

#6 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 68

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:34

I am trying to enjoy it as I want to have the phone and OS so will probably give it another few days to see if I can convert and if not then head back to the little green monster.

If you haven't already read this, you should http://www.neowin.ne...nokia-lumia-920 :)

I agree with you on WP8, it still needs a lot of work. I have the HTC 8X and although I'm happy with it, I miss a few apps from iOS. You also might want to look up Facebook Beta which is way better than the "official" Facebook app (it's also by Microsoft) if you use FB http://www.neowin.ne...s-phone-updated

This is something I discovered from Outlook.com and wish they had an option to sync contacts (like Android... again!).  I don't mind linking my accounts, but there are people I follow on Twitter and Facebook that I don't want in my email contact list.

You can disable contacts sync in People settings. Uncheck the accounts you don't want to sync to the People hub. In my case I have only got GMail selected. I download Hotmail but don't allow the contacts to show in the People hub.

I have setup GMail as Exchange, so it does sync Contacts and Calendar etc.

#7 Zoli Csáki

Zoli Csáki

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:42

Android's panorama is a lot better than Nokia's offering and the latter appears to be lacking a "world" option (panorama up/down/side to side/diagonal - creating huge photos).

You should try Microsoft's Photosynth app, I really like it, and you can view your 360 degree photos online too.

#8 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:53

20121202-210149.jpg

I am a happy HTC 8X owner,  I would personally give the device a biit more of a go, if for nothing else than to see if the battery life improves, many lumia owners report it getting better with a bit of use, maybe a week at least but hey at the end of the day if its not for you no dramas, im sure you can sell/swap the phone for another platform.

#9 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 68

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:55

20121202-210149.jpg

I am a happy HTC 8X owner,  I would personally give the device a biit more of a go, if for nothing else than to see if the battery life improves, many lumia owners report it getting better with a bit of use, maybe a week at least but hey at the end of the day if its not for you no dramas, im sure you can sell/swap the phone for another platform.

Yeah funnily enough this happened with my 8X. I was barely getting a full day out of it but now I can manage it easily.

#10 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:15

I thought there used to be this reasoning that batteries needed to be calibrated by using the device for a week or so? Charging it up and discharging it several times? But maybe I've made that up or it's become redundant in recent years.

Anyway, I would stick with it for a bit longer just to check the battery's performance out and see if it improves.

#11 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:20

I thought there used to be this reasoning that batteries needed to be calibrated by using the device for a week or so? Charging it up and discharging it several times? But maybe I've made that up or it's become redundant in recent years.

Anyway, I would stick with it for a bit longer just to check the battery's performance out and see if it improves.

I have always been under the impression that you don't charge your phone when you get it,  you let it discharge 100% (to shut-off point), then charge it to full.  Then repeat this 2-3 times so that the phone generates a proper battery report (so it can determine true battery life).

#12 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:29

I used to think i'd made a mistake at first when i bought my 8X. But then i broke it (totally my fault) and sent it away to be fixed for a couple of weeks and used my girlfriends Galaxy 2 during that time.
By the time i got my 8X back i was ecstatic and fell in love with it all over again.

#13 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:34

I do believe there is a new feature, or its not released yet where the camera button can be configured to launch whatever camera lens you choose.

I have always been under the impression that you don't charge your phone when you get it,  you let it discharge 100% (to shut-off point), then charge it to full.  Then repeat this 2-3 times so that the phone generates a proper battery report (so it can determine true battery life).

that is true. actually discharging the battery completely is bad,but it must be done every now and then to recalibrate the battery juice gauge.

#14 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:41

1) Battery

With my Lumia 928 I unplug it at 7am each morning and reconnect it at 11pm each night and usually have at least 40% battery left with a fair bit of usage during the day. I keep GPS, and Bluetooth turned off nearly at all times.

2) Missing Features

FM radio is supposed to be coming in GDR2, as for easy toggles, there are apps that can create tiles to turn these features on or off however, as you said it is not a built in function.

> The "settings" menu is rather messing and difficult to find things.

> I have an app that has a live tile for Battery level that works out well for me so that I know the exact percentage.

> Pattern and letter lock has never been a problem for me as essentially they are all the same equating to a number in the end.

> I agree completely about the long press for numbers this bothers me all the time.

3) Lack of Comparable Apps

The apps are coming slowely, Discovery and a few others just pushed a lot of apps and will the push for 8.1 coming i can see a lot more apps coming soon.

4) Different Game Controls

I saw this on Android as well just random control schemes from different developers, as far as Nokia Exclusive games, i mentioned this in another thread, Nokia helped with the cost of development for these apps just to help the ecosystem of Windows Phone they are not free for us Nokia folks as the developer still gets to choose a price. However most if not all of the Actual Nokia made apps are free.

5) Physical Phone

No heat problems with the Lumia 928 that I can find, solid construction.

6) Camera Features

I am flabbergasted that they did not just include all the different lense types into the camera app, even if you download different lenses just add them to the camera like games are added to the xbox app.

Overall, my switch from Android to windows Phone has been a positive one. I generally do not use my phone for much outside of work, Using Office, Email, the web browser to maintain Cisco Switches and whatnot. I heardly play games on it and when I am out of work I just use Reddit, and Neowin on the browser.

#15 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:44

The battery on my 920 lasts about a day and a half of normal use.  It's possible that the battery drain is down to the fact that you're using your phone more in the first few days.  However, I think there's a direct link between the drain and the heat you're feeling behind the flash.  This can happen from time to time and a restart should correct it. 

Lenses are available from within the camera app but I'm not sure why it matters that they're in the app list too.  That just makes it easier to access a particular lens quickly.  The app list is easier to use once you have a larger number of apps (can't remember the number) because you'll be able to click on letters to jump to a particular point in the list.  Pin your frequently used apps to the Start screen and you'll rarely need to visit the app list anyway.

It sounds like you want to download photosynth if you're after a lens that will allow you to produce large montages.