• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:09

1. I have everything on my Lumia 920 and I routinely do 24-36 hrs on it with heavy browsing (twitter + IE), podcast/music streaming and camera+uploads. I think give it a old fashioned battery calibration (use until it drops dead and then charge) and see if that helps. I have noticed a peculiar problem where the battery at times dies rapidly (< 7hrs once) from full charge and I have a strong suspicion that it's WhatsApp. It's just a poorly done app, don't keep it running. A reboot usually helps when this happens.

2. I guess you feel the need to constantly toggle GPS/NFS/Wifi on Android but honestly I have never had to worry about those things eating battery when not used.

3. Hmm the apps angle. I guess this is very subjective and I don't really care for apps which are solely for websites. I can directly browse the websites (BBC in this case).

5. My 920 only every warms up if I do heavy usage (browsing for 15+ mins over LTE, Skype etc.). You might have a bad piece considering this and #1 above. OR you might be using a rogue app eating your battery.

6. Lenses can be accessed from the camera UI (first icon on the toolbar). For panorama, have you tried photosynth or other apps that support panorama? Photosynth is particularly good at "world" (probably the best).

#17 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:10

Some of your gripes are valid - FM Radio, Notification Center, keyboard/number thing, etc and I really think that it is holding back the platform (can't edit forwarded emails - dafaq? VPN for jeebus sake. VEEEPEEEENNNN.WHAT.IS.SO.HARD?!). Having said that, the OS IS only 2-3 years old. You're looking at roughly the same time-frame as the iPhone 3GS - it had a long way to go from there too.

However, comparing it to android is NOT reasonable. If you are a "power-user" then WP is NOT for you. Android is a highly flexible power-user phone. WP is a good, solid phone, that is generally perfectly functional, is really smooth, and has some AMAZING features (live tiles are simply an amazing idea).

The biggest thing however is ecosystem - as someone who has fallen in love with integration, i would NEVER use anything outside of the windows ecosystem (as I "live" on windows, especially with W8/8.1 and cloud settings sync).

My $0.02 - I think it is a great phone, but you are right it is not as flexible or feature packed as android (nor is it designed to be - Mr(s) Joe(anne) Bloggs doesn't care about them)

#18 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:10

Lenses show in the app list because this is where you uninstall apps from as well, but to use them they are available within the camera app.

Photosynth is by far the best 360 panorama app available, end of!

Big updates are coming which will address a lot of issues, and hopefully help battery life (920 here and can confirm quick battery drain).

#19 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:41

2. I guess you feel the need to constantly toggle GPS/NFS/Wifi on Android but honestly I have never had to worry about those things eating battery when not used.

This is a good point. I never toggle any of these on/off because I don't need to worry about them eating my battery (I leave them all on 100% of the time plus bluetooth). This certainly does seem like Android behaviour that the OP may need to unlearn.

#20 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:49

If your phone is constantly warm, it sounds like there's an app which is hammering it. Hence the battery life. I can manage 2 days on mine if I really try.

Have a look on the background tasks section in settings, get rid of anything there you don't particularly need.

#21 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:49

920 here and can confirm quick battery drain).

In addition to all my radios I also have Skype running in the background 24/7 and don't have a problem with battery life (I think a day to a day and a half is pretty good for any smartphone). However, a colleague has a 920 and he was complaining that he always has to top his phone up towards the end of the day despite the fact that he has less running than me. The only difference we could identify was that he was with EE and I am with 3 :/

#22 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:56

Yeah funnily enough this happened with my 8X. I was barely getting a full day out of it but now I can manage it easily.

You should post what you did, changes made to manage this, to help the OP perhaps?

#23 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:57

When I first got my 920 it barely lastest 8 hours but after a patch the battery life is fine.  But I also have buyers remorse, I'm going back to Android and writing Google a letter of apology for leaving.

#24 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:57

I thought there used to be this reasoning that batteries needed to be calibrated by using the device for a week or so? Charging it up and discharging it several times? But maybe I've made that up or it's become redundant in recent years.

Anyway, I would stick with it for a bit longer just to check the battery's performance out and see if it improves.

Oh no! This is terrible for li-on batteries trin! it kills them!!!  This is only valid for NiCd or Ni-mH  batteries.

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed as an exception. Here, battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim has merits, but if the scientists were totally right then the battery would live forever, and this is wishful thinking. The experts blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped. For simplicity, we consider aging a corrosion that affects all battery systems.

http://batteryuniver...m_ion_batteries

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

• Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

• Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

• Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

• Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

• Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

• Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost. 

#25 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 83

Posted 03 July 2013 - 16:08

You should post what you did, changes made to manage this, to help the OP perhaps?

1. I don't have a Nokia 920

2. Did you disregard all the other posts regarding battery life for the Nokia 920?

#26 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 03 July 2013 - 16:10

1. I don't have a Nokia 920

2. Did you disregard all the other posts regarding battery life for the Nokia 920?

1. But you do run windows phone device so app usage, settings etc. might be the same.

2. Pretty much yup I only have eyes for "colored" names :shifty: 

#27 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:26

Well, a few days on and I am still unsure but sure enough to be sending it back... I think :p

The battery is much better.  It was lasting 5 hours between charges but after a couple days or so it appears to want to last a lot longer.  Been off charge for 13 hours, currently at 91% with 4 days and 22 hours remaining.

However I do have pretty much every app uninstalled; only Outlook remains.  So no twitter or Facebook updates.

I have another couple days before my new normal sim card arrives with my number already ported to it so until then I can give it another go.    Although I can snap a micro sim out of it if I did change my mind.  I think what will kill it for now is the quality of apps.  Some are great, even better than the Android version, but others just don't seem as polished.  I refuse to pay for Draw Something and Words with Friends (again) and don't really like paying for apps at the best of times (many aren't worth the asking price), so it means I will have to sacrifice playing against the lady friend in my life.  Maybe if I work an extra few hours one week then I will grudgingly pay again.

But then it's not all bad.  I have realised I had a barcode app (on Android), which I perhaps used once.  Other apps I had but rarely used, so actually don't miss them.

Windows Phone 8 to me is like a phone for grown ups.  You get a functional phone with Live Tiles, which seems to be a massive hit wherever I read.  While the system is still in a child state, it is getting more and more exposure, gaining momentum every week.  Do I want to be a part of that "being cool because I already have it" crowd?  Most definitely!

Adding another thing to the list is the "back" button.  In Android this means "exit" rather than "back", so after a few hours, I can find the back button cycling through apps I was on before, confusing!  I can imagine this and the number for a password lock will change eventually but will it be too late?

Perhaps it's just a case of relearning and getting out of the Android mind.  While I never ran other ROMs I did root my phone so I could copy over some app apks.  I'll update here but whatever happens I know it will defiantly be my next OS at least!

#28 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:37

I don't think that battery improves after initial few days.

It's just that we are excited and using the phone more but at the same time carefully observing battery life. That gives illusion of poor battery life.

Once our usage pattern becomes set and we don't use our phone like we did at start, we see a jump in battery life.

#29 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:36

I have battery issues with 920 too and I think WhatsApp is the app which drains my battery the most. I have a crappy 3G network so the phone keeps going from H+ to 3G to 2G so I have permanently set it to 2G to save battery.

I don't have issues with lack of Apps but its Microsoft's attitude towards their own platform. Amber was suppose to release in July which now has been pushed to August. Next update i.e. GDR3 will only come out early next year. I'm sorry but lack of updates, bugs and missing features in OS makes me want to move away from WP8 for good.

Check this out - Every time my phone restarts, my volume is reset. I have to increase the volume again. I don't know if its a feature or a bug.

I had picked this phone for the camera and its working really well however I'm hoping that iPhone 5S's camera can click awesome pictures in low light. If that happens then I'm going back to iOS.

P.S - I paid $700 for the phone.

#30 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:53

Just had a quick thought, maybe I would get on better with the HTC 8X as Neobond suggested?

After all, while I like the Nokia Lumia 920 as a physical phone, I might feel better and get on better with an HTC (my last being the Desire, held back my memory alone).  I wonder if this is where the "Nokia Exclusive" apps come in, pretty much all of them I can go without...

Time to re-read the Neowin review on the 8X then!