Jump to content



Photo

Need some advice on my trip

united vacation toronto

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 neuroticdave

neuroticdave

    Neowinian

  • 115 posts
  • Joined: 31-December 07
  • Location: NYC Area
  • OS: OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Phone: iPhone 5s on iOS 7

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:50

So, I am in a bit of a pickle, and I figured I'd ask around online and see if others can give me some insight.

 

I purchase a ticket on United about 2-3 weeks ago for a flight from my home airport (Newark) up to Toronto's Pearson International. My dates are for my birthday weekend (Aug 1-5th) which are about 4 weeks out, to the date. 

 

However, a plethora of things have occurred in the past week alone that have put my trip in jeopardy. My mother is sick as can be, so I have had to take much more care of her at home. Add to that that my job laid me off, and I have an appeals call for my unemployment benefits slated for August 2nd, and this trip seems to be done for.

 

I looked around Uniteds website, and I saw they offered travel insurance, but the qualifying reasons for getting covered don't really fall into any of my categories, per se. I did note that you can send a refund request to them AFTER canceling the trip, and basically cross your fingers and hope they accept it (minus a $50 processing fee.)

 

I am not sure which direction to take. Should I wait it out and hope things get better in the coming weeks so I can carry out my plans, or should I cancel now and hope that United accepts my refund request. It seems the earlier you cancel and send the request, the higher the probability of them accepting it.

 

On a side note, I am a Premier Silver flyer with them, which may help me a bit as I 9/10 times fly them on any trip I take, and I fly about a half dozen times a year +/-

 

Anyone care to give me a helping hand in choosing? Or maybe have any other ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it!




#2 RommelS

RommelS

    Neowinian

  • 741 posts
  • Joined: 10-March 11

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:01

If I am in your situation, I would cancel the whole thing. With the current trend in our economy, it is better to play it safe. Unless you have saved up tons of money, and you can really, really afford to spend money during your trip, then you should go for it, otherwise, Toronto can wait.



#3 OP neuroticdave

neuroticdave

    Neowinian

  • 115 posts
  • Joined: 31-December 07
  • Location: NYC Area
  • OS: OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Phone: iPhone 5s on iOS 7

Posted 03 July 2013 - 15:23

If I am in your situation, I would cancel the whole thing. With the current trend in our economy, it is better to play it safe. Unless you have saved up tons of money, and you can really, really afford to spend money during your trip, then you should go for it, otherwise, Toronto can wait.

 

Oh, the cancelation isn't the question at hand, that is a must that I cancel. The question is when and how I can go about obtaining a refund, if it's at all possible. 





Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!