Why Microsoft's Xbox One Will Win the Console War

Huge article and haven't finished reading myself

Source: http://www.ign.com/blogs/akextra/2013/07/02/why-microsofts-xbox-one-will-win-the-console-war

Eight years after the launch of the Xbox 360, Microsoft is finally on the verge of launching its successor, the Xbox One. A potentially exciting time for Microsoft has turned into an absolute PR disaster, but in a surprise move to win back some support, Microsoft decided to reverse their unpopular policies on the 24-hour internet connection checks and rules regarding sharing games. Despite the overwhelming support for Sony?s PlayStation 4, Microsoft is not out of the fight just yet. There?s no doubt that Sony has the edge in terms of consumer support right now, but this fight will rage on for years to come.

Part gaming console, part entertainment hub, Microsoft is attempting to take over your living room ? and that?s exactly why they?ll come out on top of the console war when the dust has settled. Some of you may be thinking that this premature proclamation of victory for Microsoft?s Xbox One months before it is even available on the market is absurd, but expanding their audience will be the catalyst to victory. They?ve evolved far beyond the traditional gaming console model, and their forward thinking will pay off as the Xbox One gradually asserts itself as the top choice in houses across the world.

Living rooms have typically been dominated by televisions, so it only makes sense that Microsoft aims to completely integrate the Xbox One into it. From playing your Blu-Ray movies to watching TV, Microsoft is attempting to place the Xbox One at the center of your home entertainment. Using an HDMI port for the cable TV pass-through, your Xbox will be connected directly to your set-top box. But it?s more than just an extension of your cable box ? it?s meant to be all that and more.

• Like 1

This thread is going to turn out well.

OP better have the fire department standing by.

Don't really care if there is a "winner" as long as there are good games.

Well it depends how much TV they can provide to consumers not living in the US and UK. Or is it about gaming anyway and people will buy it?

I can't read the article right now but from the part your posted it looks like a very US centric way to see things. The title should be "Why Microsoft's Xbox One Will Win the Console War in the USA".

Lots of great points in the article.. but nothing there convinces me of a "winner".  I dont believe there was a "winner" this generation and I dont think there will be one next.. Both will sell great.

Quick rant -

I just realized that come November... I'm not going to be happy.  Currently my cable box is plugged into the 3rd HDMI port on my receiver TV/SAT, custom label reads Fios (easy for wife to know which input to use).  My 360 is plugged into the 4th port GAME, custom label reads 360.  Now when I hookup my Xbox One (remove my 360) I'll continue to use the 3rd port but when I see Fios as the input when Im playing a game on xbox.. its going to drive me nuts!

I can't read the article right now but from the part your posted it looks like a very US centric way to see things. The title should be "Why Microsoft's Xbox One Will Win the Console War in the USA".

MIGHT win the console war in the USA, nothing is a given yet. 

The peice did come across as very USA centric thou. A lot of the features discussed in that editorial wont even become available to Australians in the next 12 months, if at all.

Lots of great points in the article.. but nothing there convinces me of a "winner".  I dont believe there was a "winner" this generation and I dont think there will be one next.. Both will sell great.

Quick rant -

I just realized that come November... I'm not going to be happy.  Currently my cable box is plugged into the 3rd HDMI port on my receiver TV/SAT, custom label reads Fios (easy for wife to know which input to use).  My 360 is plugged into the 4th port GAME, custom label reads 360.  Now when I hookup my Xbox One (remove my 360) I'll continue to use the 3rd port but when I see Fios as the input when Im playing a game on xbox.. its going to drive me nuts!

Just re-label it as NEO :shifty:

LOL "Console War"

Do you think in 50 years time we will all be talking about the great console war of 13/14 and how we lost so many good men and women in the battle of the flames!

I can't help but laugh at threads like this as it's just asking to start all of the fan boys off. What determines what is a winner anyway!? sales?

Do you think in 50 years time we will all be talking about the great console war of 13/14 and how we lost so many good men and women in the battle of the flames!

Never forget!

It references the success of the Wii as "proof" that the future of gaming is beyond gamepads but actually it just proved motions controls were a good way to draw in casual gamers but it didn't hold their interest and most of them quickly gathered dust so I'm still not convinced in Kinect. I'd much rather have the fast and accurate gamepad than moving about

Wishful thinking, wonder how much IGN were paid to run that article.

It's some guy's blog that IGN ran just for the sake of page hits.

Not everything is a ######ing moneyhat.  :|

It's not a matter of winning or losing. It's a matter of success or failure. We can safely assume that both the PS4 and XB1 will be a success. Consumers should buy either console for the games they like, not because one is made by Microsoft and the other is made by Sony.

I won't declare a winner or loser...

But as of RIGHT NOW, the XB1 looks better situated for the long haul...

Both companies have said in interviews that these respective consoles will be around for at least a decade...

That's a long, long time...

People mock and laugh at tv, tv, tv...and Skype, and snap in, sports... Cloud is a gimmick...etc...

But those little in between things are gonna be a BIG ADVANTAGE for a 10yr run...

Sony has built a powerhouse as far as raw horse power goes (hardware is their specialty and all)....

Hopefully it's also built to be flexible (I don't mean just Netflix or Amazon)... But open up to other features...

Say... Tv, tv,, tv... Some PS Eye specialty, etc...

The games will definitely be there for both consoles... Thats a given...

But it's the in between features that will determine the "Lead Platform"...

It is 100% impossible to determine a winner at this point, frankly I think they'll both do well, and probably end up in a similar scenario to what we have now.

This "Console War" will be about "Bang for your buck" this generation...

Core gamers determines the console lead in its early years... Say year 1-3 or so...

In that span all core gamers who love video games will have bought their console of choice by then... Or even both consoles in this span..usually determine the outcome of the "infinity war"....

Years 4 through 10 (or whenever)... Are the years that people who play regular games, indie games, Netflix, etc , buy a console...and really determine the lead...

Price cut usually happens around year 4 or so...

What you get for your dollar will go a LOOOOOOOOOONG WAY.....

If the PS4 is flexible and has other wowing features by year 4... And can keep that $100 difference... Then I say "Well Played Sony, Well Played"....

But if MS gets all the "ooooooh and awwwwwwwwe" features and gets the price to within $50 of the PS4....

Then its a toss up...

But both will do well...

Xbox One will lose big time. They just lost me as a customer after nearly seven years of Gold and enough money spent on games and hardware to buy a very nice car. Poor service, moronic global availability/region locking issues, basically no way to contact support if you really need to etc etc etc.

With all due respect, as much as i loved Xbox this isn't really family or personal love and loyalty will only go so far before you simply become a glutton for punishment. When my 360 slim's power supply died (after three years of use, stood in line day one to get this console even though i had a perfectly good "big" 360 back then) i contacted support. No warranty so i purchased a new power supply. They charged me over the phone right there. Two weeks. No power supply arrives. Get an email to send them a photo of my console, to make sure i have THE RIGHT PLUG. This was the last straw. Who needs this? We have so much choice now.

So yes, all that money that I would have spent on Xbox? PS4. Microsoft just lost a big spender, and many members here know this. I won't be the deciding factor in the console race, clearly, but i have a sneaking suspicion there are quite a few people out there just like me. And with Sony handing out free games with Plus like it's nothing, heart and minds have been won. BTW I'm a Gold Live member and CAN'T get the free games before anyone says anything, because i have committed the horrible sin of being "out of region". Do we really want to give our hard-earned money to people like that? Seriously? 

PS4 will win, no doubt. 

The winner will be the one who relates and gives the better experience to the customer. It is too premature for anyone to speculate who will win a console war before either console is even released at this point.

anyone who says otherwise is just farting in the wind

Console winners aren't determined by us gamers...

We like to think we are, but we're not...

The core gamers buy a respective console within the first 2yrs or so of it being released...

That's 2yrs out of a 6-8yr span...( now stretch it to 10yrs)

We may determine early leads for a console... Which may influence future buyers choices..

But us the gamer in no way determine the victor of a console war...

It's the sometimes gamer, but likes doing other thing on it as well...

And little Timmy's parents, that really determines a console war victor...

Us core gamers determines which overall console "looked the best" during the console war...

And what I mean by that is attach rate...

The 360 had the highest attach rate (games + accessories purchased the most for console)...

Followed by Sony

And Nintendo being way behind...

Yes Nintendo won the Console war for this Generation...

But no one really bought games for it..

One of its best games came with the Wii.

And people either bought 1 or 2 other games.. (most of those being a Mario game or Just Dance)...

Picking up on a few of his points...

To dominate the living room (my living room at least), it had better run damn near silent.

I wouldn't call the Wii a success, but rather a very successful fad. Tons sold, tons gathering dust. So many of it's best games would have been a better experience for me, had I not had to flick my wrists. :(

Obviously I haven't used Kinect 2, but if it's ever going to replace a regular remote, then it's going to have to better that experience. Currently I can change channels, inputs, volume, with no more effort than moving my thumb. I know my remote so well now, that I don't need to look at it. I'm not sure Kinect can ever match that ease of use. Personally I do not want to talk to my TV, but maybe that is something that could change.

Again, I'd have to experience IllumiRoom first hand to really make a judgment on it. My imagination wants it to be awesome, but it could very well be just another gimmick, and may never even see a public release.