Sony: New Video Players Should Be Internet Connected to Beat Pirates

sony4K.jpg

The Anti-Piracy and Content Protection Summit in Los Angeles last week had a number of interesting speakers, not least Sony Pictures CTO Spencer Stephens. With Sony just confirming that its new 4K player will debut in weeks, Stephens has revealed his wish-list for future 4K content protection. In addition to watermarking files with the identity of the user, the Sony CTO says that 4K players should have an Internet connection in order authenticate each video playback.

How was it? Microsoft considers players thieves and is an evil, greedy company (they want to earn money, what a shame) which cannot be trusted ever, while Sony's all in for the customer and it has a soul? No, I'm not making this up, this is a compilation of the best fanboy comments recently.

The irony is stunning. Of course it shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone without a blindfold.

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/sony-video-players-should-be-internet-connected-to-beat-pirates-130703/

• Like 2

I can see the same thing happening to Sony when they put the stupid DRM on music CDs

Man, I totally forgot about that cluster######!

I can see the same thing happening to Sony when they put the stupid DRM on music CDs

LOL indeed, I almost forgot too.. That makes the current MS hatred/Sony praising even more ironic.

sony4K.jpg

How was it? Microsoft considers players thieves and is an evil, greedy company (they want to earn money, what a shame) which cannot be trusted ever, while Sony's all in for the customer and it has a soul? No, I'm not making this up, this is a compilation of the best fanboy comments recently.

The irony is stunning. Of course it shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone without a blindfold.

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/sony-video-players-should-be-internet-connected-to-beat-pirates-130703/

It's ironic on its face, except that Sony Pictures != SCE.

And by the way, I don't see anything in there about "and then you have to go through special hoops in order to sell your old blu-rays or rent them from Blockbuster / Netflix or loan them to a friend".

• Like 2

And by the way, I don't see anything in there about "and then you have to go through special hoops in order to sell your old blu-rays or rent them from Blockbuster / Netflix or loan them to a friend".

Right, they're just subsidaries of the same company.

The renting part is a completely different topic, but yeah, you don't see anything about it because it's not possible at all (and ofc BluRay is completely out of question here, this is not a physical player after all). OTOH Xbox DRM was the exact thing that would've allowed you to share your games via the Internet. I'm not sure about your "special hoops" though.

In addition to watermarking files with the identity of the user, the Sony CTO says that 4K players should have an Internet connection in order authenticate each video playback.

LOL indeed, I almost forgot too.. That makes the current MS hatred/Sony praising even more ironic.

Sony and Microsoft are big enough to have both things to be praised and things to be despised.

There's nothing ironic about agreeing with Sony's approach to DRM on the PS4 while disagreeing with whatever they do with other products.

Sony and Microsoft are big enough to have both things to be praised and things to be despised.

There's nothing ironic about agreeing with Sony's approach to DRM on the PS4 while disagreeing with whatever they do with other products.

The ironic part (for a huge number of internet trolls, just check out pretty much any Xbox news on Eurogamer) is pretending that Sony's better than Jesus (opposed to MS, the devil itself) while it's just another for-profit company. And this (invalid) argument is the Jolly Joker for them to punch any pro-Xbox user in the face, like "I could never trust MS. Sony is so much more reliable, I sure as hell switch from 360 to PS4" yada yada. Ignorance at its finest.

If DRM allowed me to watch movies on day one instead of going to the theatre I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would gladly pay $20-30 to avoid the distractions, over-priced food, uncomfortable seats and no leg room that come with it.

• Like 1

The ironic part (for a huge number of internet trolls, just check out pretty much any Xbox news on Eurogamer) is pretending that Sony's better than Jesus (opposed to MS, the devil itself) while it's just another for-profit company. And this (invalid) argument is the Jolly Joker for them to punch any pro-Xbox user in the face, like "I could never trust MS. Sony is so much more reliable, I sure as hell switch from 360 to PS4" yada yada. Ignorance at its finest.

And that affects you how?  Just don't feed the trolls ffs

Pfft. Sony says they should be but MS 1-upped that by saying 'we have the kinect' meaning that they will charge your XBL account accordingly to not only every view, but every viewer.

They didn't, but it only makes sense with the patents they have filed to do so. Sony is far from an 'understanding' company in any regard. I can recall 5 video-game-only events that leaves a bitter taste, but its teh internetz.. People have 30 second attention spans and $100 more for a weaker system that has a useless camera is just that.

The PS3 launch. Anyone who adopted that before 2009 knows what I mean. That was rushed to market 100%.

Pulling the OtherOS feature - because IBM told them to do so to force Cell server rentals, not because Geohotz using a useless complicated ram exploit.

PSN being hacked/shutdown and how that was handled. Nobody told about it for weeks, in the clear server infos on all accounts, weeks to rebuild how it should have been in 2006.

Killing lik-sang who resold consoles to other regions single-handedly, as well as shutting down every PS2 modchip reseller.

Geohot scandal as well as raiding graf_chokolo's place because he was doing independant R&D on the PS3 and publishing it - pretty sure he ended up in jail

In addition to watermarking files with the identity of the user, the Sony CTO says that 4K players should have an Internet connection in order authenticate each video playback.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting pretty sick of being treated like a pirate when I'm paying money to them as a loyal customer.

The problem with this technology is its not internet connected to beat the pirates. Pirates are going to by pass this stupid ass protection before it's even used in the mainstream.

It's certainly not going to stop people from recording and removing any watermarking.

The only thing its going to do is beat the loyal consumer's faith in consumerism. 

Here's an idea Sony, how about you provide us with a reason to buy content, like free digital copies (that don't actually expire after 72hours!), vouchers for discounts on cinemas tickets or free popcorn or discounts on other movies etc. Something, anything! other then abusing and offending your actual customers! 

The other ones will sell and this ones not. Who even listens to Sony anymore?

They are so 80?ish and they were stuck there like a giant rock

Have they learned nothing from the events of recent weeks?

Luckily there will be for more choice in this sector, so I am quite happy for them to go ###### themselves.

Well, that's a troll for you, it's not like you can expect them to be rational.

Regarding everyone else who cheered Sony about their DRM decisions regarding the PS4 there's a thing called context. If I was talking about Sony in a PS4 thread I would be talking about Sony in relation to game consoles, not about their TVs, cameras or minidisks.