Sony PlayStation 4 - Info Galore

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:09

Implementation versus actual use is a bit different. Those sixaxis controllers were supposed to offer new ways to play, but I've only heard them to be awkward, and people preferring to play their games like they normally would. This is why I question how well the camera technology would actually take off: bundling it by default doesn't make much difference if people still aren't going to use it, which was my point. Until Microsoft can prove its popularity outside of a few gimmick games where it's actually useful (dance games for one), there's not much we can say until we see a revolutionary trend in gaming actually shift.

Until then, it's all guesswork at best imo. We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

I haven't seen the Kinect Sports Rivals yet, just the trailer for it, but I did see a lot of gameplay for Fantasia Music evolved and it was quite cool.  In fact it was so cool for a lot of people that it received one of Game Spot's Best of E3 2013 awards.

Here is the link...  So, I wouldn't think a Kinect Only game would be a best of E3 for 2013 on a hard core gaming web site.

http://www.gamespot....est-of-e3-2013/

Not only that but it can be used for a lot of things, instantly scanning in QR (Redemption Codes), Used in the OS, Used in searching in the OS just by saying a word or words, Switching to games just using your voice, Skype at 1080p with phones, tablets, computers, etc....  That is a huge deal.

It's only the beginning and we haven't seen other game shows like gamescom.  I expect to see more games for it over time.

#32 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:50

Those sixaxis controllers were supposed to offer new ways to play, but I've only heard them to be awkward, and people preferring to play their games like they normally would.

Sixaxis is more of an additional stick, than a way to control a whole game though. I can take it or leave it. There have been some interesting uses of it (in The Last of Us you occasionally have to use it to "shake" your flashlight back into action), but also some very stupid ones (the level going down the snowy hill at speed in Mini Ninjas had to be done using the Sixaxis alone and it was just horribly frustrating).

Don't get the complaints about the UI. Looks just fine. Take away the blue and it doesn't look a whole lot different than the style on the Xbox.

#33 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 06 July 2013 - 14:41

Sixaxis is more of an additional stick, than a way to control a whole game though. I can take it or leave it. There have been some interesting uses of it (in The Last of Us you occasionally have to use it to "shake" your flashlight back into action), but also some very stupid ones (the level going down the snowy hill at speed in Mini Ninjas had to be done using the Sixaxis alone and it was just horribly frustrating).

Don't get the complaints about the UI. Looks just fine. Take away the blue and it doesn't look a whole lot different than the style on the Xbox.

The UI is iffy to me.... Just looks like a lot going on...
Maybe go with a black background with blue accent???
The UI looks like it can induce seizures....

The graphics boost is fine and dandy....
I care more about how the console has progressed from year 3-10 or so...
What was added or taken away... ETC... Maybe Other OS can make another appearance, since the hardware is more than capable now...streaming to the PS Vita seems nice.... But they have to get more Vita's in people's hands.. (perhaps a Vita bundled Sku for $499?)

A lot of people hate MS but they made the 360 seem fresh with their big updates... (even if some of the UI changes weren't the best looking)

#34 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:11

The UI is iffy to me.... Just looks like a lot going on...
Maybe go with a black background with blue accent???
The UI looks like it can induce seizures....

Doesn't look busy to me. Shows everything it needs to, nothing less, nothing more. The only thing I'd do different would be to ditch the horizontal borders on everything except the left menu as they aren't necessary. Maybe ditch the swirls in the background too, but as they appear animated they will look less obvious in use. One good thing I immediately noticed is the use of a vertical rhythm (spacing elements based on a line height as opposed to arbitrary positioning), which is something Microsoft doesn't use nearly as much as they should given their reliance on text (they seem to pick and choose where they use it rather arbitrarily). They've also used the space available well, rather than wasting it (e.g. Windows 8 apps). Apps aside, I expect the Xbox One will use space well too (few screen resolutions).

Both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One roughly follow the same set of good solid design principles that nearly every designer follows these days. There'll be minor differences, but if there wasn't everything would look the same. I don't know how you can say the PS4 induces seizures and the Xbox One doesn't with a straight face.

I've not seen any pictures of the equivalent sections on the Xbox One yet. I don't expect them to be a massively different.

#35 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:01