'The Wire' voted 'All-Time Greatest TV Show' by EW

As someone who grew up in the late 70's and 80's, All in the Family and shows from that era blow anything out these days away. There's no question in my mind about it. In fact, I think it's a travesty that I Love Lucy isn't even in the top 10, let alone it should be #1. So, yeah. Opinions.

CHIPS to me  Beats most of what was on the list.

What about Knight Rider or Family Matters?  

Heck I seem to remember NYPD Blue had a 12 season run.  

Even ER had a long run.

I bet this charts are probably based on shows that were released to DVD or something like that or shows people RedBox/online rent.

As someone who grew up in the late 70's and 80's, All in the Family and shows from that era blow anything out these days away. There's no question in my mind about it. In fact, I think it's a travesty that I Love Lucy isn't even in the top 10, let alone it should be #1. So, yeah. Opinions.

are you serious?

LOL, he's always serious.  To many non-americans, "I Love Lucy" (for example) is throw-away nonsense.  In America... hmmm, I can see why it was considered by some to be "iconic"

I can understand non-Americans not enjoying I Love Lucy, but really, throw-away nonsense? You found it that bad? :(

And hey, as I said, opinions right? These kinds of lists are always subjective, especially a media list like this. I mean, some people think Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom ever, while others think it was a complete waste of time most of the...time.

I can understand non-Americans not enjoying I Love Lucy, but really, throw-away nonsense? You found it that bad? :(

And hey, as I said, opinions right? These kinds of lists are always subjective, especially a media list like this. I mean, some people think Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom ever, while others think it was a complete waste of time most of the...time.

I'm just baffled that you have in such high regard a whole generation of naive and unintelligent shows

I just don't understand how you can say I Love Lucy was naive and unintelligent. It's one of the funniest comedy shows ever, and certainly one of the smartest. And this was in the 50's and 60's after all. I mean, I can understand it if you didn't like the show and all, that's fine. But really, you found it literally dumb? Compared to say, Two and a Half Men? Or something like that from now?

'The Wire' remains one of the finest pieces of television I have ever watched.

'Breaking Bad', 'Mad Men', and 'Treme' are all tied for second place.

I loved every season of The Wire, but best TV show ever? What about Battlestar Gallactica, Star Trek (ToS or TNG), X-Files, Walking Dead, etc.

I loved every season of The Wire, but best TV show ever? What about Battlestar Gallactica, Star Trek (ToS or TNG), X-Files, Walking Dead, etc.

The Walking Dead? I don't think that is a very good show at all. I got about half way through season 2 & couldn't take any more of tedious plots & badly written dialogue.

Sorry Lamp0 but you might be in the minority on that one. Walking Dead is widely considered to be the best show in TV right now. Ever is certainly debatable but I can't think of a better drama on TV.

Is the wire a slow starter? i started watching it and kept falling asleep, too much of police sat around talking not enough action.. i eventually gave up but still have the full 5 series ready to start again. I was shocked how much it didn't suck me in considering i have a big interest in american drug culture like with the black guys 'in da hood' ..

Breaking Bad on the other hand had me hooked from the moment in switched it on, it's by far the best show i have seen.

Sorry Lamp0 but you might be in the minority on that one. Walking Dead is widely considered to be the best show in TV right now. Ever is certainly debatable but I can't think of a better drama on TV.

'The Walking Dead' is a good show to have in the background while preparing dinner or ironing your shirts, as it doesn't really require a great deal of thought or attention.  It's entertaining fodder, with some strong performances (Andrew Lincoln especially), but I don't feel any emotion after the show finishes.

'The Wire' on the other hand was a ground-breaking show in terms of story-telling, character development, and casting.  It requires you to pay attention, listen to the dialogue, and think for yourself - unlike the vast majority of television, the plot is never handed to your on a plate.  It's very difficult to fault this show, aside from the fact it was shot in 4:3...but even this could be argued as a plus as it contributes to the 'gritty' atmosphere of the locations.  It's been a few years since I watched 'The Wire', but I recall on many occasions having to go outside for a walk and some fresh air, such was the thought-provoking 'weight' of some episodes.

Is the wire a slow starter? i started watching it and kept falling asleep, too much of police sat around talking not enough action.. i eventually gave up but still have the full 5 series ready to start again. I was shocked how much it didn't suck me in considering i have a big interest in american drug culture like with the black guys 'in da hood' ..

Yeah, it's a a slow starter. You don't get too much payoff until the last third of the season.

I have no argument that The Wire is one of the best, most realistic crime drama's ever. I watched every season faithfully.

I still say Walking Dead is currently the best drama on TV.

I really don't get the accolades and hype of The Walking Dead. I've seen every episode and the writers have not once given me reason to consider it a top tier show. The writing is pretty poor, with bad dialog and just flat out stupidity where it's constantly and repeatedly creating drama for the sake of drama. It's far too easy to point out the show's flaws week after week. I have no doubt that if TWD were to compete against another zombie show or two, it wouldn't be as well received as it currently is. A very strong point, though, is the phenomenal skill put forth into the look of the zombies. However, the show is really about the people, so we get stupid to see illogical actions week in, week out. The show does have one bright spot: Daryl, and he's not even in the comics. Mindless fun? I'll definitely concede to mindless.

Breaking Bad, on the other hand, is one of the absolute best shows I have ever seen. Unlike TWD, Vince Gilligan and the other writers go to great lengths to make sure whatever happens actually makes sense, and when there's tension, drama, or something of significance, it's legit. No drama for the sake of drama. It's smart, something TWD isn't even close to.

And Mad Men? Talk about boring.

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't understand how you can say I Love Lucy was naive and unintelligent. It's one of the funniest comedy shows ever, and certainly one of the smartest.

I watched it when I was a kid and found it amusing but as an adult... well, my opinion isn't so flattering now. It doesn't have much depth, the humour is lowbrow, the characters are caricatures, the format is dated, etc. There is no disputing its relevance for the period but it certainly doesn't belong on any contemporary list for the greatest TV shows. It doesn't have the intelligence of comedies like Seinfeld or Frasier.

As for The Wire, I found it to be an excellent TV series. It was a very sincere look at issues of crime, politics and policing, with a format that was fresh and compelling. However, I wouldn't rate it above the likes of Breaking Bad, House or The West Wing.