Photo

350gb HD cloning is taking 24hrs+?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:24

Well, it's been over an hour, and it's still at 0% overall progress.  88% Loading the NTFS $MFT file.  Why the hell is it taking so long to load the MFT?  It's not that big!

#17 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:36

I'm guessing that the HDD has some hardware issue(s) because you mentioned it has 7 bad sectors.
This has the potential to make access slow if the hardware is failing.

What make/model HDD do you have? You could try running a HDD diagnostic tool like http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

#18 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:36

Well that was a waste of time.  Anyone have any idea what this error means?

7hu6.jpg

#19 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:42

You may have missed my post above yours as we posted at the same time, please read.

Thanks.

#20 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:46

You may have missed my post above yours as we posted at the same time, please read. Thanks.

I did read.  Clearly this has nothing to do with bad sectors, or it would have interrupted DriveImage XML too.  As well as probably interrupting the image of the 2nd partition.  And the make/model of my drive is listed in the screenshot.

I have done a chkdsk /r, and all bad sectors are marked as such, and there haven't been any new ones created in a long time.  This shouldn't interfere with a drive clone.

#21 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

Posted 04 July 2013 - 17:48

It's "Data Lifeguard" diagnostics for WD drives, here http://support.wdc.c...000aaks&x=0&y=0

#22 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:50

Again, folks, bad sectors should not interfere with a drive cloning.  A bad/unreadable sector is still technically readable, it just doesn't return the bit that the system expects when it reads the bit.  Drive cloning shouldn't care what the bit is expected to be, and just copy it anyway, errors and all.

And I'm right.  Because I did a partition image instead of a partition clone, and it finished in 2 hours without any errors.  Then I restored the image to the drive, again without any errors.  Same end result as a drive clone, but with an extra step added in between.  I have no idea why Macrium is having such a hard time doing a drive clone, but it's not my drive's fault.  Even in the WinPE environment, Macrium got to 4% of cloning the partition and then said "Broken pipe" error.  

Oh well, I guess it just means any time I want to clone a drive, I have to image and restore it instead.