Photo

PC FPS gamers - what takes priority in a monitor: IPS or 120Hz?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: PC FPS gamers - what takes priority in a monitor: IPS or 120Hz?

When PC FPS gaming, what takes priority: 120Hz or IPS?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 04 July 2013 - 15:49

Which would you choose primarily, and why?

#2 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:03

120, because as much as I love my IPS mon I think most people aren't going to notice the difference most of the time....where with a decent vidcard you'd definately notice the refresh rate boost on an FPS.

#3 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:10

IPS. Gaming is not the only thing to do with a computer, its screen(s) included, so a quality panel pays off everywhere.

120 Hz, on the other hand, depends - I, personally, can't see the effect. Then again I always crank maximum settings even if it results in sub-30 FPS just to enjoy the scenery and things, and so gameplay smoothness is not the first priority for me.

#4 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:15

IPS

#5 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:29

IPS.

I notice the better looking panel more than a higher refresh rate.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 July 2013 - 20:56

IPS, whatever would you need 120 for. 60 will do, the only thing you could do with120 is 3d, unfortunately 120 isn't even half what you need to do 3D without crosstalk.

And yes, non IPS is very noticeable. Put on any even looks or the background behind websites or the sky or anything in games and notice the color being only correct in the middle and then the annoying up and down gradient.

#7 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:05

IPS

Picture quality, desktop resolution, colour accuracy and viewing angles are important to me, especially the amount of time I spend on the desktop. I haven't been able to find a 120Hz monitor capable of 2560x1600. Hopefully with 4K displays on the horizon we'll be able to get the best of all worlds, as refresh rate is also very important.

#8 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:26

IPS. Gaming is not the only thing to do with a computer, its screen(s) included, so a quality panel pays off everywhere.

120 Hz, on the other hand, depends - I, personally, can't see the effect. Then again I always crank maximum settings even if it results in sub-30 FPS just to enjoy the scenery and things, and so gameplay smoothness is not the first priority for me.

i'll just quote this since it's exactly what i would have typed....

#9 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:29

I would go IPS as I use my PC for more than gaming. If you solely use your machine for competitive gaming only, then defo would put the refresh rate first.

#10 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:30

120hz monitors are usually marketed as "first-person shooter monitors" and for good reason. When a game requires lightning fast reflexes, getting a frame every 8ms vs every 17 makes a big difference. Right now I have a Dell 24" IPS next to a BenQ 27" 120hz TN, and while the IPS is easier on the eyes, it just feels choppy and unresponsive after using the 120hz panel for a while. It's really hard to go back to 60hz once you've known better. And I haven't even tried the LightBoost hack yet (google it!).

120hz IPS panels exist, if you're ready to deal with Korean sources directly.

#11 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:34

120hz monitors are usually marketed as "first-person shooter monitors" and for good reason. When a game requires lightning fast reflexes, getting a frame every 8ms vs every 17 makes a big difference. Right now I have a Dell 24" IPS next to a BenQ 27" 120hz TN, and while the IPS is easier on the eyes, it just feels choppy and unresponsive after using the 120hz panel for a while. It's really hard to go back to 60hz once you've known better. And I haven't even tried the LightBoost hack yet (google it!).

I really want a 120, but I'm still trying to hold out for OLED if that's ever actually happening (it's been 'coming soon' for what five years now?  now it looks like there MIGHT be an end to the wait soon but until its out its just talk.)

#12 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 04 July 2013 - 21:36

Nice, but you need a NVIDIA video card and additional hardware (the emitter).

#13 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

I AM A GROOVY

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:16

unless you are competitive FPS player, i doubt you will see the difference!

i had 120 monitor, and the IPS i got was a huge improvement in the gaming overall experience, while i did not notice any delays in perception of FPS games.

#14 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:43

I'd go for the IPS purely for the better picture quality.

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:23

Vast majority of gamers prefers 120 Hz monitors

(Acquired from Tech Report, but not much point linking to a post quoting another article heh.)