PC FPS gamers - what takes priority in a monitor: IPS or 120Hz?

34 members have voted

1. 1. When PC FPS gaming, what takes priority: 120Hz or IPS?

• IPS
    • 120Hz

120, because as much as I love my IPS mon I think most people aren't going to notice the difference most of the time....where with a decent vidcard you'd definately notice the refresh rate boost on an FPS.

IPS. Gaming is not the only thing to do with a computer, its screen(s) included, so a quality panel pays off everywhere.

120 Hz, on the other hand, depends - I, personally, can't see the effect. Then again I always crank maximum settings even if it results in sub-30 FPS just to enjoy the scenery and things, and so gameplay smoothness is not the first priority for me.

IPS, whatever would you need 120 for. 60 will do, the only thing you could do with120 is 3d, unfortunately 120 isn't even half what you need to do 3D without crosstalk.

And yes, non IPS is very noticeable. Put on any even looks or the background behind websites or the sky or anything in games and notice the color being only correct in the middle and then the annoying up and down gradient.

IPS

Picture quality, desktop resolution, colour accuracy and viewing angles are important to me, especially the amount of time I spend on the desktop. I haven't been able to find a 120Hz monitor capable of 2560x1600. Hopefully with 4K displays on the horizon we'll be able to get the best of all worlds, as refresh rate is also very important.

IPS. Gaming is not the only thing to do with a computer, its screen(s) included, so a quality panel pays off everywhere.

120 Hz, on the other hand, depends - I, personally, can't see the effect. Then again I always crank maximum settings even if it results in sub-30 FPS just to enjoy the scenery and things, and so gameplay smoothness is not the first priority for me.

i'll just quote this since it's exactly what i would have typed....

I would go IPS as I use my PC for more than gaming. If you solely use your machine for competitive gaming only, then defo would put the refresh rate first.

120hz monitors are usually marketed as "first-person shooter monitors" and for good reason. When a game requires lightning fast reflexes, getting a frame every 8ms vs every 17 makes a big difference. Right now I have a Dell 24" IPS next to a BenQ 27" 120hz TN, and while the IPS is easier on the eyes, it just feels choppy and unresponsive after using the 120hz panel for a while. It's really hard to go back to 60hz once you've known better. And I haven't even tried the LightBoost hack yet (google it!).

120hz IPS panels exist, if you're ready to deal with Korean sources directly.

120hz monitors are usually marketed as "first-person shooter monitors" and for good reason. When a game requires lightning fast reflexes, getting a frame every 8ms vs every 17 makes a big difference. Right now I have a Dell 24" IPS next to a BenQ 27" 120hz TN, and while the IPS is easier on the eyes, it just feels choppy and unresponsive after using the 120hz panel for a while. It's really hard to go back to 60hz once you've known better. And I haven't even tried the LightBoost hack yet (google it!).

I really want a 120, but I'm still trying to hold out for OLED if that's ever actually happening (it's been 'coming soon' for what five years now?  now it looks like there MIGHT be an end to the wait soon but until its out its just talk.)

Nice, but you need a NVIDIA video card and additional hardware (the emitter).

unless you are competitive FPS player, i doubt you will see the difference!

i had 120 monitor, and the IPS i got was a huge improvement in the gaming overall experience, while i did not notice any delays in perception of FPS games.

What model is your Dell 24", if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

IPS at 2560x1600 although I have not personally used a 120hz monitor before. But gaming at that resolution is like  :drool: compared to 1080p.

IPS would be my vote, though I have often wondered about the claims of 120hz monitors preventing that screen tearing for those who prefer to play with vsync off, I do sometimes, it's a lot smoother but at the expense of seeing tearing.

As above mentioned that if you have lightening fast reflexes then it matters but even then I still prefer 120 Hz or 144 Hz monitor over IPS due to price differences. IPS are not yet mainstream, once more IPS panel cheaper variant like AH-IPS, PLS etc become mainstream then we will start to find good performance price point of view monitors.

Go through this list for 120 Hz or 144 Hz monitors: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

What model is your Dell 24", if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

I hadn't bothered to check, but it's a P2412Hb.... actually that's a TN panel! My bad. So the difference with an IPS panel must be even more pronounced.