Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting a new PSU, brand and other help please!

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I am very shortly (>1 week hopefully) going to be able to order myself a new PSU. My issue is that I am not sure about the brands and the other technical details involved in the purchase. My system was running on a 700 watt OCZ, but it finaly died on me. My system is: AMD Phenom II X4 955 clocked at 3.50 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 4 HDD's, a optical drive and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. My friend thinks that I need at least 800 Watts, with 38 Amps on the 12v rail to power the 260, but from what I can tell the 260 does not need that many amps. I have found APEVIA WARLOCK POWER ATX-WA900W at newegg for $90 which I thought was not a bad deal, but I know nothing about the brand. My plan is to keep the price under $100(usd) and most likely would purchase from newegg. I need some advice and any other sugestions! Thanks!!

Posted

just stick to the big name brands - Antec, Corsair, Enermax (these still around)?, Silverstone.

I really like Silverstone PSUs. i've bought two now, and theyve been rock solid.

I also prefer modular since it reduces cable clutter.

perhaps this one --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

Posted

In my experience OCZ, Corsair, and PC Power & Cooling have all been very good choices.

Posted

Had nothing but OCz PSU's and have never had any problems.

Posted

I've used Antec and Corsair.  They've both been excellent.  Haven't had one die on me yet.

Posted

750W should be enough for your spec. Something I experienced with the 1.1~kW is that they die within a year.

Posted

Corsairs are normally awesome, everyone praises them, but I just had two TX750s, and a CX750 have major issues with them.

SeaSonic is high quality, and makes many of the PSUs for other brands.

Posted

Thermaltake Smart SP-1200M 1200w

I have this PSU for a time and never had a single problem.

Virtually zero electric fluctuations.

Posted

Id have a look at this list, http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx Lots of Power Supply's and Its updated.

Thanks for the linkl! Very infomative!

Posted

Antec and Corsair would be my top picks.