Woman Builds 'LegoLeg' Prosthetic

Christina Stephens really puts the leg in Lego.

Last year, her foot was amputated after it was crushed under a car she was rebuilding. Stephens took it in stride by fashioning a prosthesis out of some old Lego blocks she had lying around her basement.

Stephens, an occupational therapist and clinical researcher, said she decided to build the toy leg after a co-worker jokingly proposed the idea. While others would have laughed off the suggestion, Stephens said, "Challenge accepted."

"I liked the idea, because I am very comfortable with my body and like encouraging others to be more comfortable with theirs," she said.

Stephens made a video to show how, working over two days, she created the Lego limb out of the colorful toy bricks and fit it to her leg in about two hours. The video has received nearly 300,000 views on YouTube.

The leg is comfortable though not completely practical. Its range of motion is limited, Stephens said, and the ankle and foot tend to pop off. She can walk for only short distances on it.

Not to worry. Stephens is planning "Lego Leg 2.0," which will include a functional ankle and foot. She's also got several more artistic legs in the works, including one that incorporates fiber optic lights flashing behind a clear, shin-shaped casing.

"I like having this extra space below my stump that other people don't have that I can explore," Stephens said. "It makes me feel superhuman."

source & video

post-37120-0-31582500-1372982248.jpg

• Like 2