Question

Posted

Hi,

I have 3 IPS monitors:

1x Hazro 27" 2560x1440 (DVI)

2x LG 23" 1920x1080 (HDMI, DVI, VGA)

I'm wanting to connect all 3 to a 7970 which has 1x DVI, 1x HDMI and 2x Mini Displayport. I have the main monitor on the DVI connector from the card, and the smaller 2 monitors on the mini displayports using mini dp to DVI adapters and DVI cables to the monitors. I'm having a problem where I can only use 1 of the 2 smaller monitors at a time. I've been told I need an active displayport to DVI adapter. Is this right and if so do I need 2 active adapters or just 1?

I do not want to setup eyefinity, just to use the 2 smaller monitors as additional screens/workspace.

Any suggestions or fixes greatly appreciated thanks.

6 answers to this question

Posted

use 2 dvi and get a mini display port to vga adapter and that should work i use the same set up and it works for me 

Posted

use 2 dvi and get a mini display port to vga adapter and that should work i use the same set up and it works for me 

I thought VGA wasn't HD? Also, the card only has 1 DVI connector?

Posted

its not but unless u want to spend

Posted

Why wouldn't VGA be HD? VGA  can easily support resolutions in excess of 1920x1080p (in fact I have my work laptop connected to an external display via VGA driving it @ 1920x1200).

I think what you might have meant to say is that VGA isn't digital, which is true. That doesn't impact its ability to drive HD resolutions, but it does affect its ability to play HDCP protected content, at least.

Posted

You will need either a monitor with DisplayPort, or an active DisplayPort adapter to use more than two monitors. See [URL=http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx]here[/URL] for AMD's explanation and a list of recommended adapters.

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions, I've purchased an active miniDP adapter and rigged the other monitors through DVI and HDMI. Working a treat.