united kingdom stadium way dumbfounded checkout etiquette apologises

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,116 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 23:40

I was at a gas station filling up gas,and half way through, the attendant disabled my pump until I got off the phone. I have a better chance at blowing up because of static electricity than talking on my phone. sheesh

#17 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,597 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 23:42

It's called common courtesy and you are proof it seems to have died lately, trust me your conversation on the phone is not that important or you wouldn't be at the store in the first place

Common courtesy how?  THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT!!  Talking on the phone is just as rude as talking to your kids, a friend or another customer while in line.  All take the attention away from the cashier.  But again, as I stated, there is no reason to talk to a cashier about anything.

If there is a price check needed, go get a price check.  If something is damaged, get me a replacement.  I am also capable of seeing the same big digital display total that the cashier can see, so why read it back to me like it's displaying in roman numerals or something?

It's not the customers job to entertain the cashier in an attempt to make their boring job any better.  All we need is a "hello", "here's your change" and "thank you" and let me get on with my day.  Not stand there and RUDELY make me listen to you b.s. with the customer in front of me while turning a 2 minute business transaction into 10.

#18 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 23:49

Perhaps the rest of the line doesn't want to hear the conversation? As much as I enjoy hearing just how dreadful something is there's a time and a place...

Sometimes I wish that cellphones were never invented and that we were still stuck on pagers. 

there's a time and a place... exactly !

It's called common courtesy and you are proof it seems to have died lately, trust me your conversation on the phone is not that important or you wouldn't be at the store in the first place

Well said. :)

#19 vf-

vf-

Patience, Lewis. We're only human.

• 853 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 00:16

She apparently does not think she is being rude, using her phone in public, without thought of other people.

We need wide-spread use of cell phone blockers. :s  Safety zones for our sanity.

I want to be Bruce Wayne and his little EMP toys. :D

#20 MasterTargus

MasterTargus

Neowinian

• 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:40

Perhaps the rest of the line doesn't want to hear the conversation? As much as I enjoy hearing just how dreadful something is there's a time and a place...

Sometimes I wish that cellphones were never invented and that we were still stuck on pagers. 

I have been in lines where the cashier is gabbing enlessley with a costumor that has paid and is all bagged up but because they are friends they continue to chat, wasting everyones time so lintening in a one sided conversation for a few minutes is alot better as long as they aren't holding up the line. That is what cell phones are for.

#21 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,175 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:26

I work retail as well, and I will say its pretty rude when someone is on the phone. We spend a lot of time in training about how to present good customer service and how to have friendly conversations with customers. Something a lot of places have done away with by going to self check out. For us we sell outdoor gear so its always nice chatting with customers about upcoming trips and such. We also keep a customer database so their name is tied to the receipt if they lose it. If they are on the phone we don't have this interaction nor do we have the chance to make sure they have all the right gear and even sometime the customer will hold up the line by fumbling for their credit card. We do a pretty decent job of being attentive to the customer I would hope the customer would do the same. To me its just nice, if a place is going out of their way to try to help you and present good customer service, that you should at least show some courtesy even for the minute or 2.

#22 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,957 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:01

I work as a cashier/checkout operator for Woolworths and I do relate to this. Just yesterday, a customer was on the phone almost the whole time I was scanning her stuff through.

There are so much that cashiers need to convey and last thing we need to do is repeat ourselves.

"How would you like to bag these meats up?"

"How heavy would you like your bags to be?"

"Do you have any cooler bags?."

"Please leave heavy items in your trolley. I will happy to enter them into the computer."....But they still put them up on the belt.

"Do you have a Everyday Rewards card?"

"Would you like a receipt?".

I do not consider it rude but more of a courtesy issue. This also relate to any other businesses and services.

I can't order them off their phones, I have to serve them no matter who or what. Guess what if I refuse?

#23 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,957 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:17

Common courtesy how?  THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT!!  Talking on the phone is just as rude as talking to your kids, a friend or another customer while in line.  All take the attention away from the cashier.  But again, as I stated, there is no reason to talk to a cashier about anything.

You have to realise that there is a person, a real human being, behind the counter. His and her job is to scan your stuff though and ask you things with your purchase. You wouldn't be on a phone when ordering at a restaurant, would you?

If you don't like it, use the self-serve checkouts.

#24 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,486 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:20

Cell phones should be banned in all supermarkets and shops.

What I find odd is, stupid woman not looking where she is going too busy looking at (probably) pr0n on her cell phone fell over my trolley, then swore and shouted at me?

O.M.B.B.

Then (I only see women doing this). They phone home to ask which soy sauce to buy (example) the one for £1 or the one with 10p off.

Then she chats 10 minutes about this.

It must had cost her £2 to phone someone to see if it is worth saving 10p.

#25 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,073 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:33

Is it to much to expect a little respect.
In this case the woman on her phone and the woman working at the checkout were in the wrong.

The woman shouldn't have been on her phone while dealing with another human being and the cashier should of handled it better "You learn something everyday isn't an adequate response". Instead she should have asked her politely to end her conversation then she would continue.

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,940 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:39

People don't understand the reverse rudeness when they are in stores.

You wouldn't accept the "clerk" to talk on the phone or chew chewing gum while you're shopping and getting advice and such. but apparently it's fine to go to a store and talk on the phone and chew gum as a customer when you're looking at stuff. and I'm not talking about regular food stores or large chain stores, but smaller stores with peoepl who actually know what they're talking about and are there to actually help you and not just sell you stuff. . 

#27 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:27

^ Damn right, and it's damned rude to boot!  If you're not prepared to treat that person who's serving you as a human being and grant them the tiny amount of respect in actually giving them your undivided attention, why should they grant you the courtesy of dealing with your needs?

When I last worked in retail, way back in 1989, I was the manage of a computer store.  If people were in the line and chatting to each other, and ignored me when they go to the till, I just ignored them and served the people behind them first.  If they bitched about it, I threw their asses out of MY store.

#28 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,026 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:34

what cashier is a theater now?

#29 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,073 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:51

what cashier is a theater now?

I don't know, what cashier is a theatre?

;)