My CPU overheats instantly to 100 C while encoding videos

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 AnDom

AnDom

Neowinian

Posted 08 July 2013 - 16:37

Too many possibilities...

First regarding thermal paste, take a look at this link:  http://innovationcoo...nstructions.htm  (Doesn't matter if you use their paste, but shows you the impact of different application methods).

As long as the cooler is getting coverage/pressure, the stock cooler should suffice (but there are much better alternatives)... I can't comment on the Scythe cooler you have listed since it doesn't mention LGA1155, but most of them work so long as there is a universal adapter to make it work.  You do need sufficient pressure at the contact point, so yes it has to be "tight" otherwise you are essentially running without a cooler.

Assuming cooler is making appropriate contact/thermal paste is okay, then disable any fan controls in the BIOS (there should be a setting that forces the PWM fan to run at full speed).  Make sure you case is routing air as intended by the manufacturer (fan direction etc.).

Beyond that (assuming you don't have some crazy ambient temperatures) the 3770K runs hot to begin with, and standard BIOS settings are not always optimal (even if you are not overclocking).  I had a i7-920 that ran 10-15C hotter with "stock" settings then it did overclocked to 3.8Ghz (from 2.66)... go figure.  For the newer generation Intel processors, the biggest adjustments seem to come from the appropriate mix of under-volting + overclocking.

Anyway, just running out and buying a new cooler may leave you right where you started... the temperature difference between quality aftermarket coolers isn't huge, so you could end up wasting money and still have the same problem. 

#32 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 July 2013 - 18:24

i've been eyeing the Corsair liquid coolers - the H90, H100i and the H110.

something tells me, though, that you have another issue - perhaps the case isnt providing enough airflow, you have too much cable clutter, or the CPU's IHS is detached...

#33 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 July 2013 - 13:32

edit: ninja'd by JJ....  :shiftyninja:

Heh, I had to remove the IHS on my 3570k to replace Intel's 'chewing gum' paste so there Mr Google Guru.

If you have the balls, get a water cooling kit otherwise go for this:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=noctua dh-14

My CPU is overclocked to 4.3 GHz and temps never rise above 60c under full load: However I suspect the grease under your IHS has turned to gunk so you should look into that too.

#34 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 July 2013 - 13:47

i've been eyeing the Corsair liquid coolers - the H90, H100i and the H110.

something tells me, though, that you have another issue - perhaps the case isnt providing enough airflow, you have too much cable clutter, or the CPU's IHS is detached...

As has been stated before, the idle temp and the rapid increase doesn't indicate any fault with his cooler or the case, it indicates the cooler isn't properly attached to the CPU at all. HE did mention something about a broken leg on the cooler, 3 properly attached legs "should" still have managed to keep it lower than it is though.

But as I said before, I to reccomend the corsair enclosed liquid coolers, not sure he needs the 90+ models though. he needs to make sure he can fit the radiator then, and he actually needs it. he'll also need to make sure the CPU is fully cleaned of old paste before replacing the cooler and make sure the attachment points on the mobo/case fr the cooler also isn't damaged to he gets a proper god tight attachment. 

Heh, I had to remove the IHS on my 3570k to replace Intel's 'chewing gum' paste so there Mr Google Guru.

If you have the balls, get a water cooling kit otherwise go for this:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=noctua dh-14

My CPU is overclocked to 4.3 GHz and temps never rise above 60c under full load: However I suspect the grease under your IHS has turned to gunk so you should look into that too.

there's no need for balls with the fully enclosed water cooling kits like the H60/90/100 series. they're as plug and play as a regular fan 

#35 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:46

By "balls" I meant the potential for a water cooling solution to leak and fry his mobo/CPU :)

#36 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:53

Yeah, even the enclosed ones can break as easily as a self made one. You're never safe from a spillage.

#37 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:55

They can break, but nowhere near as easily as a self made one no.

the corsairs, you can swing around like a flail and not damage the tubes or connections on them.