Photo

HD repair: PC won't turn on when HD installed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:56

I was given a never-used Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (out of warranty) that the user couldn't get working but never bothered to RMA.  But my PC won't even turn on when the harddrive is plugged in, I just get the green case power light on, but no bios beeps, no fans spinning, nothing.  And the power light doesn't turn off until I disconnect the PC power supply and the motherboard's capacitors discharge after a few seconds.

This only happens when the SATA power cable is plugged in to the aforementioned harddrive.  My computer will at least turn boot when that cable is disconnected, but of course it won't use the HD because its power cable isn't plugged in.  The PC will boot fine if any other hard drive is plugged into the same connectors, so it is not a power supply or connector/cable issue.

I took off the rear circuit board (without opening the HD and exposing the discs to dust) to check for obvious bad or disconnected solder joints, but they all looked fine.  Using some steel wool I shined up the 3 gold connectors that press on the 3 prongs coming out of the HD enclosure, but it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone here have experience with advanced HD repair, or this harddrive, or this problem, and might be able to shed some light on it?

#2 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 July 2013 - 13:58

Try using an external enclosure. See if you get anything from it.

#3 papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 July 2013 - 18:31

how old is this drive?

a few years ago there was a recall for Seagate drives that had a defective board, search the serial number or model number on seagate for the recall, you might be lucky and get it replaced for free.

Are you using the same SATA cable that came with it? if you are, try a different one.

#4 +shift.

shift.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:16

Does the same power cable plugged into any other device that requires SATA power (first thing that comes to mind is DVD/Bluray writer)

First thing you'd need to double check is that your power supply SATA power connector isn't causing problems.

#5 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:34

Plug just the power cable to the HD and see if your puter starts. If it does, turn off puter and plug just the SATA cable and turn on puter. If it does, than I'm thinking there is a short between power and SATA plugs.

#6 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 08 July 2013 - 16:03

Does the same power cable plugged into any other device that requires SATA power (first thing that comes to mind is DVD/Bluray writer)

First thing you'd need to double check is that your power supply SATA power connector isn't causing problems.

The PC will boot fine if any other hard drive is plugged into the same connectors, so it is not a power supply or connector/cable issue.

#7 +shift.

shift.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:59

If you have a second computer test the hard drive in that computer. If your power supply is fine then the hard drive power connector is likely a problem.

#8 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:02

It's a protection, there's a 'fuse' diode (TVS diode) that creates a shortcircuit when it dies (usually due to a voltage spike). Don't even try putting that hard drive until you identify and replace or remove the diode, you'll only stress and possibly kill your PSU.

#9 shadodemon

shadodemon

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:26

I was given a never-used Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (out of warranty) that the user couldn't get working but never bothered to RMA.  But my PC won't even turn on when the harddrive is plugged in, I just get the green case power light on, but no bios beeps, no fans spinning, nothing.  And the power light doesn't turn off until I disconnect the PC power supply and the motherboard's capacitors discharge after a few seconds.

This only happens when the SATA power cable is plugged in to the aforementioned harddrive.  My computer will at least turn boot when that cable is disconnected, but of course it won't use the HD because its power cable isn't plugged in.  The PC will boot fine if any other hard drive is plugged into the same connectors, so it is not a power supply or connector/cable issue.

I took off the rear circuit board (without opening the HD and exposing the discs to dust) to check for obvious bad or disconnected solder joints, but they all looked fine.  Using some steel wool I shined up the 3 gold connectors that press on the 3 prongs coming out of the HD enclosure, but it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone here have experience with advanced HD repair, or this harddrive, or this problem, and might be able to shed some light on it?

Sounds like not enough power going through, I suggest getting another power supply.