AdblockPlus has sold out ...

I 2x hp dl160 g5 servers with TMG installed for high availibity but there are other consumer grade solutions like pfsense which is free and can run on any atom board with 2 nics or if you don't want a gateway pc/server (power usage) you can use a cisco ios router like the 877w http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_configuration_example09186a0080ab4ddb.shtml

In short any of the above will put you in complete control of your network so you can decide what traffic is allowed and what traffic isn't.

LOL @ the usage of "sold out". As if they ever promised you anything and you paid some serious monthly subscription.

This teenager attitude that everyone should cater to you for free should stop.

There has been a lot of controversy about ABP on the German part of the internet, started by this blog post: http://www.mobilegeeks.de/adblock-plus-undercover-einblicke-in-ein-mafioeses-werbenetzwerk/

tl;dr: Eyeo, the company behind ABP, employs 15 people - bit much for a mere browser add-on. The company finances itself by getting money from 'strategical partners' buying spots on the ABP whitelist. I don't have the time for a full translation now; essentially ABP or rather the company behind it has become shady. 

LOL @ the usage of "sold out". As if they ever promised you anything and you paid some serious monthly subscription.

This teenager attitude that everyone should cater to you for free should stop.

It's not about wanting everything for free - it's about the discrepancy between the noble goals of ABP and the deals made by the company maintaining it.

am I the only one who's fine with this? I mean neowin ads are almost non intrusive and just doesn't bother me...  :s

It's not about wanting everything for free - it's about the discrepancy between the noble goals of ABP and the deals made by the company maintaining it.

Eh I can understand the motivation to do this; just because your project is open source it doesn't automatically make the bills disappear.  A little shady mayyyyybe, but as long as the software obeys the settings that the user put in, they can whitelist whoever they want as far as I'm concerned as my settings will block it anyway. 

If the software were ignoring my rules and allowing certain things though anyway, that's one thing, but this? Meh.  Overreating to something that wouldn't affect people anyway if they actually look at the first screen it shows you after the installation, it tells you it's allowing certain things through by default. Done that for quite some time now.

Using the latest build from the developer, it still blocks everything, no drama and no fuss.  No removed options. Still the best ad-blocking addon out there.  (Well the Firefox version anyway.. Chrome and IE got a long way to go, but thats more due to limitations of the platform.)

There's a lot of FUD here.

1. The option to opt-out of the "allow non-intrusive adds" HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED AND WILL NOT BE REMOVED

2. Google's adds still have to adhere to the "non-intrusive ads" criteria to be whitelisted.

People need to remember that without ads, many of the content you get for free on the web, would otherwise require some sort of subscription. Ads are google's main source of income.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Why are you claiming that I'm invalid?

I can fork Ad Block Plus, or any open source project, and decide my reason is simply that I want to add my name to the About Dialog or something and that is perfectly valid. Will anyone use my fork? More than likely not, but that doesn't make my fork in any way invalid. It is always valid for anyone to fork open source code for whatever reason.

The Ad Block Plus team will have rules as to what can be merged back into their code base (or pushed up stream), but that doesn't impact my right to fork their code...

Can you read? I didn't said INVALID. I said unethical. Valid != ethical. Is it so damn hard to understand? Do you fart in restaurants and talk loudly in cinemas or, even worse, double-dip your chips just because it's "allowed"? Did I saw anywhere it was forbidden?

You can create a new fork for any new application name you can think of or for every single line of code you want to change but when you do it to contribute nothing, or looking for notoriety, or cashing in donations, or just simply adding confusion it's nothing but a douchey move. And I think it's pretty hard to disagree on that.

At first I was angry with this, so I downloaded Adblock Edge....then when it didn't work at all (it was in my extension list, it was enabled....but it didn't add any buttons, I couldn't manage the fliter list, and it didn't block any ads) I decided to read more on this "selling out" and decided to re-enable Adblock Plus......I don't mind ads, I mind obtrusive popups on hover-over, flashy, noisy, attention-seeking banners.

I also went through and added a few extra filter lists so it blocks even more than before, but allowed the non-intrusive ads to continue being displayed because honestly, it's been enabled by default for months now and I've never noticed enough of an ad to think "Hey, shouldn't that be blocked?".