What does $400 get me?

Trying to keep it real... not trying to offend...

I am going to wait for both to release... but the XB1 is set in stone... there is already a Wii U in my house now... ANd I believe the PS4 would be of great value if the PS VIta were bundled in for $500....

Going from $400 to $500 is not a bother to me if the value is there...

I think the bottom line here is that you should not be thinking about that value you could get from a hypothetical PS4+Vita bundle for $500, and make your buying decisions based the facts currently present. I agree this bundle would be awesome. It is also very possible that in a couple of years from now when ps4 sales start to level off a bit after the initial demand that they will offer this bundle. But it is pure speculation and I would not sit around contemplating hypotheticals at the expense of not being able to these games sooner.

The basis for your decision should purely be on what xbone and ps4 offers as of right now. For most people, now that MS has backed down on the drm issue, they are very similar. The main differences really comes down to is game exclusives, kinect, and xbox live/psn+. Yes, ps4 also has better specs than xbone, but games on both platforms look equally amazing and will take a few years before ps4 devs finally start harnessing that extra power. Current consensus, including mine, is in favor of ps4 due to the lower cost, better launch exclusives, and psn+ features are more favorable. If you value something different, then no one here will argue otherwise as you are free to spend your money as in a way that pleases you.

Sweet rant bro. I personally think you should cancel your preorders and stfu for another 17 months and then ask this question - if you can even call it that.

You said you pre-ordered each of them via amazon and paid more for a delivery date. I don't know WTF you are going on about, seems money isn't an issue for you and you already are going to have both seemingly ASAP - likely before anyone trying to answer your hypothetical question could.  Anyone who wants games for true games (and not $50/year shooting frenzie/yelling match with 14 year olds) knows the cutting edge always bleeds and they will patiently wait the 1-3 years it takes to establish a console and adopt then when its cheaper, less buggy, lots more cheaper titles, and easy to buy a preowned/used/discounted unit. I adopted the 360/ps3 early and regretted it heavily. (3RLOD and sony just sucking at what they created) Waiting also allows you to see which direction the console is taking. I'm sure first gen games of next gen consoles will be equal to previous gen (not a lot of enhancement in actual gameplay), and theres a LOT of good games for the 360/PS3 you likely havn't played. GTA5 and Gran Turismo 6 is coming to the PS3 yet and online community for each system is not going to disappear like it did with the xbox/PS2.

Those shelling out the money for a handful of games up front just to be on the cutting edge will find its very low on investiment return in comparison to doing it even a year later.

To the OP:

New PS4 features over PS3.

Hands free motion detection, like the Kinect in the new PS Eye. (Move Controllers/ Orb no longer a requirement)

Gaikai Cloud allows you to stream games to friends or even play your friends game over the internet to help them pass a level or section.

Sony has confirmed that over 100 titles are coming to the PS4 in the first year of release with over 130 games in development already. (It already has more than 3x confirmed titles than the XB One)

New Touchpad controller (can act like a mouse in menu, possibly in games also for more accuracy)

Paid Cloud/Dedicated Servers, so better multiplayer.

Lots of social features also like uploading videos, cross game chat and a bunch of other stuff social stuff I personally dont have any interest in.

Seamless gaming which basically means no more load screens

Smart phone interaction (Also remote play via a Vita)

Instant On/Off which allows you to turn off the console mid game and when you turn it on you are exactly where you left off

Remote downloads via smart phone / mobile device.

Bigger and better built controller, reading reviews on it they say its a massive improvement over the last PS3 controller.

For multiplayer if your friend is already in game all you do is click join game on their profile and you instantly join their game now.

Graphics wise the PS4 is about 8x stronger than the PS3.

Blu-ray read speed has increased to 6x instead of 2x.

You can start a game download and start playing it when it still downloading, you can even select which parts you want to download first so you can start playing that section first.

The 'Cloud' is supported by Sony also and the same 'cloud' features of the Xbox One will be available for the PS4. (No hardware limitations, both have internet connections)

Vastly Improved CPU, Ram and all hardware.

PC Infrastructure is now used instead of the PowerCell design which make it difficult for game developers.

Indie developers are supported by Sony and can release games to the PS Store, while on Xbox they need to go through a publisher which means they get less of a cut from games and they also need to tailor them to publisher demands.

PS4 has companion apps for IOS and Android so you can manage your game and even play it over your mobile device but in a unique way, for exaple BF4 you can be a commander via your ipad or in Tom Clancy's: The Divsion you can fly a drone. For car racing games like The Crew you can customize your car (paint job, body kit, new tires, upgrades, etc) There is a PS Eye game where you have robot pets and you can draw things on your phone or tablet and then send it to the game for the robots to play with.

It allows background downloading on all downloads, unlike PS3 which didnt allow some things to do so.

It has many new features but for some reason people only seem to be interested in its graphics performance only.

I have both the PS3 and the X360 and they do have a noticeable difference in graphics, The PS3 does have the edge. But that doesn't mean the PS3's games are more fun.. They both have some great titles.

I think the point the OP is trying to make, I may be mistaken is that because he sees a lot of bashing of the Xbox One, and that the Xbox One does have more functionality (Kinect, and TV stuff), he wants to know why people say go for the PS4 when it's "only" $100 cheaper but less features (and theoretically "more power"...well at least that's the consensus).

I wrote up a thread which had Xbox One information and people got upset cause I gave information about the GPU TFLOPs output, I wasn't bashing the XB One I was just posting facts and people got offended. So I don't think people bashing the Xbox One is the issue its the people who think everything that's written about it is somehow offensive. The TV features are only for US Customers on Cable TV and even then if it was available to me I wouldn't use it, but the Kinect I agree it does add a lot of functionality which the PS4 doesn't have and even though a lot of people think negatively towards it I think it will be the driving factor as to why people will choose the XB One over the PS4.

I've been a gamer for about 15 years since my first SNES, I've been on both the PS and Xbox bandwagon and current gen I bought both. I bought the Xbox 360 for fable and the kinect (Just Dance is a lot of fun), PS3 for games like fifa, infamous and Guitar Hero, I play FPS on PC. I'm tilting towards the Xbox One cause of the kinect for next-gen, I like the fact that it can monitor heart rate so the better half can play those fitness games and get better measurements (I'll probably give them a go too), I also like the fact it can recognize your facial expressions and give you a mood based on them (happy, neutral or sad) and I'm hoping new games can utilize that and make AI interact with you based on your mood, It also does voice commands for the menu and in some games.. In Dead Rising 3 it makes zombies notice you in game if you start talking or making sounds in the living room. Hands-free menu swipes is also a great feature, I had an issue with the latency in kinect 1 and am happy to hear the latency in Kinect 2.0 is much better. But with this being said the PS4 beats the Xbox One in almost all other aspects except maybe exclusives where they both have a good selection, I don't like the fact the Xbox requires you to go through a paywall to get to basic internet features like netflix (If you always pay for Xbox Live then its not an issue but I didn't use it for online gaming very much). If the PS4 had the Kinect I would've bought that instead, or if the Xbox One had better graphics I would've easily chosen that instead. But both consoles offer something over the other one.

If you want an Entertainment system; (Games & Media Focused)

If you prefer Xbox exclusives like Fable, Halo and Forza go for the Xbox One, or

you like the kinect features and games go for the Xbox One.

If you want a Gaming system; (Games Focused)

If you prefer PS exclusives like Infamous, KillZone and Gran Turismo, or

you just like multiplatform games and graphics is very important to you go for the PS4.

• Like 2

Troll detected.

Get the feeling some folk just want to flaunt that they`ve made $900 worth of reservations, and to stoke yet another xbox1 vs ps4 thread.

Well for $400, I could get you a weekend with Barbara at the motel by the lake :p

LOL.... LOL.... 

Troll detected.

Get the feeling some folk just want to flaunt that they`ve made $900 worth of reservations, and to stoke yet another xbox1 vs ps4 thread.

Not a matter of flaunting...  

I'm getting older... I have 3 kids (one is a teen and 2 girls) and my girls are very young (2 & 9 respectively)...

I want to focus more of my time to them (enjoying this stage in life before they forget about Daddy and hang with friends and such)...

So for this Gen... I have to focus on a Single Console.... Until they become older

I loved what Microsoft showed me (it fit my needs perfectly)...

And if I'm going to pay $400 - $500 it better do a lot more....

Like I said, I will keep my PS4 pre-order...

Yes, I am jumping the gun a little bit...

But I was already showed/teased a little bit from MS....

I'm not mad for Sony trying to keep as much secret as possible...  

But for the little bit that they have shown, they should have NOT announced price.  The little bit that was shown so far, isn't worth $400.

I'm getting older... I have 3 kids (one is a teen and 2 girls) and my girls are very young (2 & 9 respectively)...

I want to focus more of my time to them (enjoying this stage in life before they forget about Daddy and hang with friends and such)...

So for this Gen... I have to focus on a Single Console.... Until they become older

But for the little bit that they have shown, they should have NOT announced price.  The little bit that was shown so far, isn't worth $400.

um ... yes it is, even if just for specs alone. beside the fact that it's almost half the price that the PS3 was at launch try building a PC with those specs and tell me $400 is over priced

I don't think the $500 for the One is worth it. but then again i don't care for the kinect features, it's all a matter of opinion.

in the end both consoles bring much needed changes to the table and will help bring out more potential for games. as far as game wise both are gonna have pretty similar options so it comes down to what you want feature wise, in your case OP it seems to be the kinect features. not sure why you're debating yourself as you seem to have your mind set on the One already

If you have a fast internet connection the Xbox will kill the PS4. Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. Designing the console around being able to offload processing 'to the cloud' and inject the compressed results directly into the GPU memory will ensure things like 1080p 60fps on games. and the 'cloud processing' is scalable. This is why they are expanding from 15k live servers to over 300k.. Im sure when the 4k craze hits Microsoft will 'be the first' to offer 4k output at 60fps(?) as well, but of course require internet-connected to accomplish the amazing detail... The game could literally change on-the-fly this way too - targeting advertisements and other things like environment. You be the judge on if this is cool or creepy. In all honesty, the precision of this new kinect and this 'true' cloud computing, microsoft put a LOT more effort into their console revision than sony did/has shown. Waiting to see if it lives up to the hype is another thing..

um ... yes it is, even if just for specs alone. beside the fact that it's almost half the price that the PS3 was at launch try building a PC with those specs and tell me $400 is over priced

I don't think the $500 for the One is worth it. but then again i don't care for the kinect features, it's all a matter of opinion.

in the end both consoles bring much needed changes to the table and will help bring out more potential for games. as far as game wise both are gonna have pretty similar options so it comes down to what you want feature wise, in your case OP it seems to be the kinect features. not sure why you're debating yourself as you seem to have your mind set on the One already

you just hit my point exactly... PS4 is built like a PC (basically is one),  But it doesn't seem like it has room for expansion like the XB1.... PC's are the ultimate everything are they not... The ultimate gaming console, the ultimate tv, tv, tv... Multi tasker...etc...

With specs PS4 resembles more of a true PC than the XB1... But in terms of features/expansion the XB1 resembles a HTPC/PC...

Let's try to keep religion out of this as it doesn't really have a place in this conversation.

Amen!

• Like 1

I was going to say some, but I corrected myself... a lot of people are incapable of making decisions for themselves, that's why they need TV, Internet, Friends, etc. to do their research for them and make up their mind for them. Quite sad actually.

My solution is not to act like such a plebeian and buy both of the consoles. No disparity, no regret..

My solution is not to act like such a plebeian and buy both of the consoles. No disparity, no regret..

Thats how I use to always do it, but Buying both is not in the cards for me right now...

Yeah i heard that, xb1 pushing 1080p games at 60fps whilst ps4 struggling to hold onto 30fps, must of bin using the cloud but tbh i dont even think youd need a fast connection prolly 4Mbit connection after all its just data, there no gfx or anything to be transferred so be difference will come into the latency of your connection more than anything.  Like my 6870 1GB, on BF 3 i have it on max settings but when theres lots of particles like dust kicked up it slows to like 2 fps, oh especially the bit when there was all them police cars really far into it, it crippled my gfx card. If that processing is done in the cloud so my gfx card doesnt NEED to process those complex calculations it doesnt need any where near as much power. Could be interesting