Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elliot B.

Recommended cooler for under

14 posts in this topic

I paid ?5 more for the "K" variant of the 3570 so I figure I should attempt my first overclock.

At stock speeds and with the stock Intel cooler, my CPU hovers at around 50C idle, 70C after use.

I am hoping to overclock my 3570K, but as I don't know anything about overclocking, I don't know how much by.

I have an ASRock H77M motherboard.

What type of cooler should I get? My absolute top budget is ?50.

EDIT: I've noticed you can get "liquid coolers" for under ?50 - specifically the Antec K?hler H2O 620 for ?45. It appears to review well.

For my ?50 price point, is it worth getting that low-end liquid cooler or would I be better off getting a mid-to-high-end standard cooler (presumably it would be a heatsink/fan combo?).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Coolermaster Hyper 121 EVO

?24 ish

Since my budget is ?50, I could probably get a better one than that :) (unless I'm wrong)

Also, it turns out you can only overclock a 3570K with a Z77 motherboard :/

another vote for the hyper 212 from CM, great heat sink for the money.

Running Antec K?hler 620 on my 3570K. Clocked at 4,5 GHz and ~50C with Prime95 for a whole day.

I'm looking at the CM 212 EVO for my next build. Seems to come pretty highly rated for people that overclock, and benchmarks show that it'll compete with stuff that costs twice to three times as much.

I looked into the cheap water cooled stuff. It's okay, but don't expect anything more than regular cooling. Higher spec coolers are better (Corsair H60, H80 etc), but proper watercooling is still superior (at least from what I've read). You're basically paying a premium for the better airflow and slightly quieter operation.

I also looked at the Antec Khuler as you did, and decided against it after reading this review. Non-conductive fluid or not, I wouldn't want to risk a good build with cheap watercooling.

1 person likes this

Since the 212 EVO doesn't come with anything but the fan and heatsink, will I need the following set of three things?:

Arctic Silver 5 paste and ArctiClean cleaner

I only ever used the paste, not any of the other stuff.

It should have pre-applied paste on there, though. They just never say.

It comes with some preapplied.

I also looked at the Antec Khuler as you did, and decided against it after reading this review. Non-conductive fluid or not, I wouldn't want to risk a good build with cheap watercooling.

Ouch, first time I'm reading about that. Although looking at the date  "6 Nov 2011", that was the first or second revision of the product. The one they're selling now is V4, should have all the problems fixed.

I built mine last year around this time, still going strong :)