quebec crude oil downtown destroyed plumes of smoke

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

• 787 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:26

If there would have been locomotives on both ends of the train I think this would have been prevented.

#17 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,533 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:03

True that on the road, but odds are it was a switching engine which is used within the yard to move cars around and assemble them for a run. AKA a "donkey."

#18 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 23:32

Criminal probe in Quebec oil train derailment

LAC-MEGANTIC, Quebec (AP) — Canadian authorities said Tuesday they have opened a criminal investigation into the fiery wreck of a runaway oil train in this small town as the death toll climbed to 15, with dozens more bodies feared buried in the burned-out ruins.

Quebec police Inspector Michel Forget said investigators have "discovered elements" that have led to a criminal probe. He gave no details but ruled out terrorism.

Investigators zeroed in on whether a fire on the train a few hours before the disaster set off a deadly chain of events that has raised questions about the safety of transporting oil in North America by rail instead of pipeline.

Rail dispatchers had no chance to warn anyone during the train's 18-minute journey because they didn't know it was happening themselves, Transportation Safety Board officials said Tuesday. Such warning systems are not in place on secondary rail lines, said TSB manager Ed Belkaloul.

http://news.yahoo.co...-213336218.html

I reckon we need that oil pipeline, eh ? ;)

The derailment also raised questions about the safety of Canada's growing practice of transporting oil by train, and is sure to support the case for a proposed oil pipeline running from Canada across the U.S. — a project that Canadian officials badly want.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,462 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 July 2013 - 00:21

If there would have been locomotives on both ends of the train I think this would have been prevented.

Technically trains are supposed to be designed with brakes on every car, connected to the engine via pneumatics. and they're supposed to work on positive, pressure, ie, you need the generator on the train engine to created pressure to release the breaks. so if the engine fails, a hose is disconnected or the break system on the enigne fails(like it it here supposedly) all the cars would lose pressure and the brakes would engage. 

supposedly opposite of how trucks work I believe.