Android notifications woes (with whatsapp)

Okay, well I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, I just didn't see the correlation between the linked defect and what you have, and I don't want you to blame it on one thing and find out it wasn't that all along and could have been fixed. I work in QA so I get picky about classifying or mislabeling defects, haha. But unfortunately I'm with you now. I don't know what else to try to do aside from perhaps trying a custom ROM to see if a different code base or even a fresh install might help. I know you don't want to have to do that on a new phone, but if you've gotta have WhatsApp it's a possibility to try.

yeah, but for some reason rooting S4 9500 doesn't seem as easy/straight forward as jailbreaking :( so i've kinda steered away from that alternative for fear of bricking. on my old iphone 4 it was download latest update, cook with sn0wbreeze, ctrl + shift + restore and presto JB goodness.   The issue I see is there are SOOOO frigging many variants of one same phone... :/    A friend of mine did solve his notifications issues (whatsapp included) by restoring with a custom rom.  

I need that "1 click root" for s4 :p so I don't feel nervous about bricking my phones.

Also if whatsapp acknowledges the issue, wouldn't you fill ripped of if you just payed $5 or whatever and find out it doesn't work properly? That's lawsuit  territory in the US of A :P

off topic: All in all  I feel android @ 4.2.2 really lacks a bit compared to iOS, Like closing/erasing messages/emails/notifications with a swipe left or right, this takes 2-3 more seconds on android ( Hold pressed and select delete). Then there's the contacts app oh dear... why in hell is it NOT part of the same phone app that it causes a separate load for it ( yes 1 second load is too much :p)... And then S Memo has a "loading" screen! How can a damn note taker "load" is beyond me... this is a separate rant thread i'll be making later :p  also I know android as the OS and the APPS per se are not androids fault it's more the developers side... say whatsapp is much more polished on iOS than android, but that's a whole different grill. Again, I digress, I'll make a thread to promote some discussion and see what solutions come up :)

• 10 months later...

Did this problem ever get fixed?

On my S5 I'm not getting any Whatsapp notifications in the notification panel unless I turn on notification by LED, as soon as I turn of the LED notification within the Whatsapp settings I no longer receive a notification in the panel that a message has been received. I continue to get the messages but I'm not notified, I turned off the pop up notification as  it was annoying but surely I should still get a notification in the notification panel?

Did this problem ever get fixed?

On my S5 I'm not getting any Whatsapp notifications in the notification panel unless I turn on notification by LED, as soon as I turn of the LED notification within the Whatsapp settings I no longer receive a notification in the panel that a message has been received. I continue to get the messages but I'm not notified, I turned off the pop up notification as  it was annoying but surely I should still get a notification in the notification panel?

I think this is a different issue than mine.