Jump to content

29 posts in this topic

Posted

A drunken man was electrocuted and killed relieving himself on the third rail in Brooklyn this morning, sources said.

 

Matthew Zeno, 30, was walking with a friend along the tracks for the southbound G train around 3:10 a.m., at Union Avenue and Broadway in Williamsburg when the horrific accident occurred, cops said.

 

His 26-year-old pal tried saving him and was also shocked, police added. The friend was able to flag down MTA workers, who in turn called for help, sources said.

 

Both men were rushed to Woodhull Hospital where Zeno died and the second man was listed in stable condition.

 

The pair were returning from a bar, cops said.

 

source

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I bet one of them won't do that again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I'm pretty sure this thing was debunked on MythBusters a while ago. In fact, I've seen cleaning guys spray water on an active third rail on several occasions here in Amsterdam myself. They weren't wearing any protective clothing and still nothing happened.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Yeah, more than likely he was killed when he STEPPED on the third rail while relieving himself, which in turn electrocuted his friend when he tried to yank him off. He didn't get shocked to death through a stream of urine.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I watched this on mythbusters, they busted the myth of getting electrocuted peeing on a track. Maybe he stepped on it while peeing

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I'm pretty sure this thing was debunked on MythBusters a while ago. In fact, I've seen cleaning guys spray water on an active third rail on several occasions here in Amsterdam myself. They weren't wearing any protective clothing and still nothing happened.

 

Yes! http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/peeing-on-third-rail-minimyth.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Probably other factors involved, I'd wager it's fair to assume that he was somehow earthed in another way, may have peed on his shoe or stepped in the pee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I'm pretty sure this thing was debunked on MythBusters a while ago. In fact, I've seen cleaning guys spray water on an active third rail on several occasions here in Amsterdam myself. They weren't wearing any protective clothing and still nothing happened.

 

This really depends...

Pure water itself does not conduct electricity. Conductivity of tap water and other "non-pure" waters depends on concentration and types of ions and other minerals and such. Water from a hose may not be conductive enough to transmit current through the flowing water and to the operator of the hose.

 

Urine on the other hand is loaded with ions, minerals, and other contaminents. Especially if one has been drinking at a bar for awhile and not consuming any water, his urine could be extremely conductive.

 

When I was in middle school, a fellow class member was shocked and severely injured (although not killed) when he decided to pee into the hand dryer...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Missed opportunity at a great title, "Man killed relieving himself on third rail with third leg" :shifty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Urine isn't a stead stream of water, it breaks up in the air so electricity couldn't not have traveled up it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

This really depends...

Pure water itself does not conduct electricity. Conductivity of tap water and other "non-pure" waters depends on concentration and types of ions and other minerals and such. Water from a hose may not be conductive enough to transmit current through the flowing water and to the operator of the hose.

 

Urine on the other hand is loaded with ions, minerals, and other contaminents. Especially if one has been drinking at a bar for awhile and not consuming any water, his urine could be extremely conductive.

 

When I was in middle school, a fellow class member was shocked and severely injured (although not killed) when he decided to pee into the hand dryer...

 

It wasn't on the type of liquid (Mythbusters used real urine) it was that a stream of liquid has to stay laminar (one continuous stream) for it to conduct electricity (It can arc and jump if the current is enough but the current in train tracks isn't enough). The Mythbusters findings were that the stream of urine starts to break up after between 8 inches and a foot, so unless there are some other factors involved you would literally have to squat almost on top of the rail for your stream to conduct a fatal shock


Are you trying to say NY Post made it up?

 

No, but there were probably other factors involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Are you trying to say NY Post made it up?

You actually think the media hasn't ever made mistakes in how they presented things to the publc or (intentionally) left certain facts out of the story?

 

 

This really depends...

Pure water itself does not conduct electricity. Conductivity of tap water and other "non-pure" waters depends on concentration and types of ions and other minerals and such. Water from a hose may not be conductive enough to transmit current through the flowing water and to the operator of the hose.

 

Urine on the other hand is loaded with ions, minerals, and other contaminents. Especially if one has been drinking at a bar for awhile and not consuming any water, his urine could be extremely conductive.

 

When I was in middle school, a fellow class member was shocked and severely injured (although not killed) when he decided to pee into the hand dryer...

From what I know Amsterdam drinking water has a fairly high concentration of minerals. It's very clean though. However, a lot of stuff washed with it since they were cleaning the station's platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

He could have been barefoot or had something metal on him that helped the electricity travel up him. BTW this is by the New York Post which is apart of News Corporation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

 

You actually think the media hasn't ever made mistakes in how they presented things to the publc or (intentionally) left certain facts out of the story.

 

 

From what I know Amsterdam drinking water has a fairly high concentration of minerals. It's very clean though. However, a lot of stuff washed with it since they were cleaning the station's platform.

 

This isn't some huge incident where there's hundreds of different reports coming in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

This isn't some huge incident where there's hundreds of different reports coming in.  

Thus mistakes can't occur or it's unthinkable the writer left certain facts out to make the story seem more interesting than it actually is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Darwin would be proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I'm pretty sure this thing was debunked on MythBusters a while ago. In fact, I've seen cleaning guys spray water on an active third rail on several occasions here in Amsterdam myself. They weren't wearing any protective clothing and still nothing happened.

 

this. I've seen that episode a few years ago; this incident must had other unknown factors involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I'm pretty sure this thing was debunked on MythBusters a while ago. In fact, I've seen cleaning guys spray water on an active third rail on several occasions here in Amsterdam myself. They weren't wearing any protective clothing and still nothing happened.

 

 

I watched this on mythbusters, they busted the myth of getting electrocuted peeing on a track. Maybe he stepped on it while peeing

 

 

No where does the article say, that he was killed by electricity traveling 'up his urine'. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

i guess you could say he was .... amped up

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

You are all wrong - the man had a three-foot-long cock.

 

Mystery solved; case closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Shocking..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

No where does the article say, that he was killed by electricity traveling 'up his urine'. :laugh:

You're right, nowhere. However, the way she phrases things a strong impression is given that was indeed the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Shocking.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I'm surprised this doesn't happen on the daily to be honest. You're drunk. You have to pee. Hmm. I probably would have made the same mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.