'Ender's Game' Film attracts boycott

I've always wondered, is Card simply against same-sex marriages or is he also homophobic? I've read Ender's Game many times, and I always get the "wrong" impression of Andrew's relationship with Alai...

I have to agree, his views seem to be a bit ironic considering the plot

Wow.  If people boycotted art because of the sexual preferences of artists there'd be a lot of art not seen in a lot of museums and galleries.  That's kind of silly.  There are cases I suppose it might be justified, if perhaps the art itself is found offensive by someone but...  

To be honest I hadn't even heard of this movie until the boycott, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is simply a viral marketing campaign.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not...

I was being serious.

Based upon a quite popular book. Many people have read this in middle school to high school. The sequels aren't bad either, though I more-so prefer the sequels leading with one of the characters from the original, Bean.

Based upon a quite popular book. Many people have read this in middle school to high school. The sequels aren't bad either, though I more-so prefer the sequels leading with one of the characters from the original, Bean.

"Mr Bean goes off to kill some buggers"?

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sold on seeing this one, I will now just to spite the bigots

I think you're using the word bigot without knowing what it means?

People should boycott this because it sounds ######ing awful. The vindication and redemption against aliens who destroyed Earth made me let out an audible groan. Abigail Breslin? Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssss.

So let me get this straight... Geek OUT object to the author trying to tell gays what to do (or not to do, in the case of marriage) by telling everybody else what not to do (watch the movie). Hypocritical much?

God damn it.  Why the hell does my chicken (Chick-fil-a) and my movies need to have political agendas :(?!?!?

I was really looking forward to this movie but I doubt my wife is going to want to go see it now....

Hey I dont like him either and his latest books are crap/too full of his believes!

However his early work is brilliant and deserves the movie.  To ban it because he became worse later, or because his believes started to shine thorugh his brilliance is just dumb.

I am not sure how good a book2movie transition will be, but it totally deserves a try.

I was really looking forward to this movie but I doubt my wife is going to want to go see it now....

Leave her at home. That's what I plan on doing with mine, though my plans rarely work out.

Ender's Shadow was probably the best sequel from the original series. 

• Like 1

Leave her at home. That's what I plan on doing with mine, though my plans rarely work out.

You can always take your girlfriend, instead. :p

I think you're using the word bigot without knowing what it means?

People should boycott this because it sounds ****ing awful. The vindication and redemption against aliens who destroyed Earth made me let out an audible groan. Abigail Breslin? Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssss.

Read the book ? Guessing not.

I agree with Orson Scott Card 100%.

"...the classifying of anyone who disagreed as 'mentally ill.'" - I've noticed this a lot in the media, including Neowin!

I agree with Orson Scott Card 100%.

"...the classifying of anyone who disagreed as 'mentally ill.'" - I've noticed this a lot in the media, including Neowin!

And the full context of that quote, as the par you quote means either nothing or anything.

You can't use the book as justification if the movie is ****

And when you use the story which is from the book as justification for calling it ######.... 

Ender's Shadow was probably the best sequel from the original series. 

yes, his second best book after enders game by far.     then a couple more sequels i enjoyed ok,  then it just got so tedious with the religious bull, and weaker and weaker stories.  the expanded universe did provide a few thrills, but they were all but lost in the unnecessary rambling.    look how many extra books he published! 

1950: Things get boycotted and people ridiculed because they're gay, claiming to be oppressed and accuses others of being bigots

2013: Things get boycotted and people ridiculed because they don't agree with those who promote gay marriage, gets oppressed by the bigots

Seems legit. Just watch the movie if it's good and get over it.

yes, his second best book after enders game by far.     then a couple more sequels i enjoyed ok,  then it just got so tedious with the religious bull, and weaker and weaker stories.  the expanded universe did provide a few thrills, but they were all but lost in the unnecessary rambling.    look how many extra books he published! 

I read almost all of them, I thought "Speaker for the Dead" was really nice closing chapter for me. I actually thanked my high school teacher for forcing me to read this book in 9th grade, when I read first few chapters I was hooked :D 

• Like 1