watchdogs cloud azure xbox one

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:37

no developer sounds like they have figured out anything particularly noteworthy or revolutionary

I would say the functionality itself is particularly noteworthy and revolutionary...even without immediate developer usage never having underperforming servers or relying on client machines to host, matchmaking services not being taken down, developers or publishers not having to invest millions on server farms to use online services in whatever way they see fit is a huge deal IMO.

I'm still kind of shocked MS is doing this in the first place.

On the topic of raw specs has anyone else seen the rumors floating around that the XB1 is going to have a RAM increase to 12gb and a GPU clock increase?

Sounds like a load of crap.

#47 OP JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:40

On the topic of raw specs has anyone else seen the rumors floating around that the XB1 is going to have a RAM increase to 12gb and a GPU clock increase?

Just read up about that, it seems like the changes are been driven by development feedback and completion which is completely expected. They also seem to be driven by Respawn which actually gave MS the idea of using Azure for games. Starting to love those guys.

Source: http://www.examiner....on-increase-ram

One thing regarding cloud, we haven't heard anything from Epic Games. I can honestly imagine them baking in Azure support into UE4 on the X1, that would be absolutely insane if so!

EDIT: The rumor seems to have started on the Beyond3D forum which has a lot of game developers on it:
http://forum.beyond3...&postcount=4689

#48 blerk

blerk

Banned User

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:52

I would say the functionality itself is particularly noteworthy and revolutionary...even without immediate developer usage never having underperforming servers or relying on client machines to host, matchmaking services not being taken down, developers or publishers not having to invest millions on server farms to use online services in whatever way they see fit is a huge deal IMO.

I'm still kind of shocked MS is doing this in the first place.

Oh I completely agree that what MS has made available is noteworthy and revolutionary, more so since they're apparently making it free for devs. I was just stating that I doubt that any killer applications for this technology will be found at launch. But who knows, the killer features may simply be dedicated severs and easy multiplayer and that might be enough. 

Just read up about that, it seems like the changes are been driven by development feedback and completion which is completely expected. They also seem to be driven by Respawn which actually gave MS the idea of using Azure for games. Starting to love those guys.

Source: http://www.examiner....on-increase-ram

One thing regarding cloud, we haven't heard anything from Epic Games. I can honestly imagine them baking in Azure support into UE4 on the X1, that would be absolutely insane if so!

Baking an unreal cloud  :D

And Respawn do seem pretty cool.

I would like to see a ram increase for the simple reason that I think it would make multiplatform games better - developers can target a higher minimum of ram therefore PC and PS4 also benefit. (Slightly confusing statement is slightly confusing.) 

#49 OP JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:58

I would like to see a ram increase for the simple reason that I think it would make multiplatform games better - developers can target a higher minimum of ram therefore PC and PS4 also benefit. (Slightly confusing statement is slightly confusing.) 

+100

What people don't realise is, if the RAM got increased to 12GB that means the lowest common denominator for RAM is 8GB rather than 5GB so it will matter to this generation astronomically later in life.  

#50 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:06

Adding more DDR3 RAM to the system shouldn't be a big deal, and won't change much since developers can just have the games use more memory if more is there.  The whole idea behind adding more also makes sense if you take into account the info/rumors out there that say 3GB is going to be reserved for the OS and apps/multitasking.  So maybe developers have pushed to get full 8GB for game use which would have forced MS to add more RAM for their multitasking/app plans.  

I'll believe it when MS says it though.

#51 OP JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:35

To give more weight to the rumor, it would be history repeating itself. Close to the 360 release MS gave it the same RAM from the 360 dev kit at the time, which was 512mb. This was done due to developer feedback given to MS up to release. It was actually done very close the release itself.

Since the rumor is about the X1 having the RAM from the dev-kit, which is 12GB, it seems entirely plausible.  

#52 blerk

blerk

Banned User

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:03

To give more weight to the rumor, it would be history repeating itself. Close to the release MS gave the 360 the same RAM from the 360 dev kit at the time, which was 512mb. This was done due to developer feedback given to MS up to release. It was actually done very close the release itself.

Since the rumor is about the X1 having the RAM from the dev-kit, which is 12GB, it seems entirely plausible.  

Imagine what would happen if MS gave the XB1 more ram then the current devkit... like 16GB...

*Mind explodes* :rofl:  

#53 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:12

Imagine what would happen if MS gave the XB1 more ram then the current devkit... like 16GB...

*Mind explodes* :rofl:  

I'm still trying to imagine PC games using the resources available to them for the last four or so years...and failing.

#54 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:16

I'm still trying to imagine PC games using the resources available to them for the last four or so years...and failing.

Well, keep in mind that PC games have to target so much stuff/configs out there.  Right now I think the norm for most PCs out there, newish ones anyways, is 4GB system ram and a midrange GPU with 1GB of GDDR4 or so.     Now that we're also moving on to the newest gen of consoles with way more memory as well we can see the PC versions of these games start to use more of the resources they also have at hand.

#55 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:01

Moving to 12gb of ram would be very interesting to see. I hope we get confirmation soon. I hate following rumors.

#56 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:23

I have serious doubts that one of the first games for xbone will actually use the cloud effectively.

Esp. Considering that the always on req is gone and many people will expect to play offline.

Xbox One never had an always online requirement.

My guess is this will work like PhysX, it'll make things look better if it's available to you, but will be optional.