6 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:25

Valve officially launches Dota 2 after two year long beta
by John Callaham

Most beta periods for games lasts a few months, but the beta test period for Valve's free-to-play RPG-RTS game Dota 2 has lasted for two years. Today, the beta period is officially over as the developer is now letting anyone play the game.

Even though the game has been in beta for a long time, the number of people invited to the beta test is massive. In an email, Valve said that Dota 2 currently has over three million monthly users, with peak concurrent users of over 300,000.

That's a lot of Dota 2 players, but in a post on the game's official website, Valve said that they have been working overtime to get ready for today's official launch. It stated that it has added server hardware in Stockholm and Luxembourg (shown above) along with the western part of the US as well as a new server cluster in Korea. The hope is that the game will be able to support another 450,000 concurrent players. The post adds:

Figuring out how much capacity to add, and where, is one important aspect of this launch. For the stats people out there, concurrent numbers are more useful when predicting what capacity we need for specific regions, because Dota players in the same region tend to play during similar hours. Our worldwide active user base is roughly twelve times the peak concurrency.

While the beta period is over, Valve will be adding new players to Dota 2 in batches in order to handle the expected demand.

Source: Valve | Images via Valve

#2 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

• 2,043 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:58

Is this free to play? I heard it's not noob friendly.

#3 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 20:02

DotA games have the worst online communities ever. They pretty much just yell at you and don't teach you anything about the game. I'd recommend avoiding DotA games.

#4 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,519 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 July 2013 - 20:17

Is this free to play? I heard it's not noob friendly.

It is free to play, and it's kind of not noob friendly. However, they recently added a pretty good set of tutorials to the game that do a good job of teaching the basic mechanics. I went through them all over the weekend, and I approve of them. (I've been playing dota since the original) I highly recommend you give it a try.

Some people prefer LoL for their MOBA needs, and I do like some of the things it does. But I always come back to Dota.

As per the usual for multiplayer games, the community has it's more-than-fair share of whiny pre-teens that yell at you if you suck. But, the game has a pretty good report/commend mechanic that keeps everyone in line for the most part.

#5 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,189 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 20:34

It is free to play, and it's kind of not noob friendly. However, they recently added a pretty good set of tutorials to the game that do a good job of teaching the basic mechanics. I went through them all over the weekend, and I approve of them. (I've been playing dota since the original) I highly recommend you give it a try.

Some people prefer LoL for their MOBA needs, and I do like some of the things it does. But I always come back to Dota.

As per the usual for multiplayer games, the community has it's more-than-fair share of whiny pre-teens that yell at you if you suck. But, the game has a pretty good report/commend mechanic that keeps everyone in line for the most part.

does neowin have a dota2 clan or group? I would like to jam with some guys from here :)

#6 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,351 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 15 July 2013 - 15:06

Agreed. The hardest part is learning what the heroes do. And the only way to do that is to play a lot of matches. The mechanics aren't complex but they're slightly more complex than a game like League of Legends. Aside from the mechanics though, Dota 2 is a simpler game. There are no player runes or masteries so everyone is on equal footing at the beginning of a match. The only difference between players is the result of skill and experience.

As for the Dota 2 community, it has gotten a lot better ever since Valve revamped the report system. Before, people would be put into a low-priority pool where they can only play with other people in the low-priority pool. Now, you get muted (which means you can't type or use voice communications). Trust me when I say that it's frustrating to be muted. Valve posted some statistics after putting the new system into effect. You can read it here. Compared to LoL though, I'd say the Dota 2 community is much better. I've only played a couple of matches of LoL and my experience was unpleasant. Dota 2 just feels a more team-oriented game. And LoL feels like a game that rewards selfish players that only play for a high amount of kills and low amount of deaths.

does neowin have a dota2 clan or group? I would like to jam with some guys from here :)

No, but you can check the Neowin Steam Community group to see if anyone is playing Dota 2. (Y)

#7 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 15 July 2013 - 15:32

No, but you can check the Neowin Steam Community group to see if anyone is playing Dota 2. (Y)

Thanks for the link.  I joined the group :).

I got Dota 2, but I am fail at it.  I couldn't even with the defend your base against 1 enemy tutorial level.