Windows 7 - myriad of things stopped working

I am a bit perplexed.

On Sunday I was doing a bit of work between my Windows 7 machine and a Sheevaplug that I own. The last thing I remember doing is booting up a USB drive with the Live version of Ubuntu 12 on it so that I could use some bash commands. I went to go boot up my Win7 Desktop for the first time since Sunday to find that none of my USB devices are working (they work in the BIOS screen and they work in Ubuntu 12 Live). My Linksys wireless card does not work either - it seems as though none of my peripherals connected to the machine work. Win7 boots up but I can't do anything because I have no mouse and no keyboard to work with.

I also recently (within the last month) upgraded my HDD to an SSD. I don't know if it is failing... but Win7 boots up fine.

I'm about to go to bed, so I will have to answer any responses tomorrow. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

-kub789

Hit the "Automatic Repair" using any one of your backup copies of Wind 7 disc.

Another way is:

While Windows 7 Logo is loading, turn off the PC, in the next start-up you can hit the Automatic Repair

You can also use Disk Utility from your Ubuntu disc to view your SSD's SMART data and verify your theory that it is failing.

You can also use Disk Utility from your Ubuntu disc to view your SSD's SMART data and verify your theory that it is failing.

Awesome idea. I totally forgot Ubuntu had that feature. Thanks!

Hit the "Automatic Repair" using any one of your backup copies of Wind 7 disc.

Another way is:

While Windows 7 Logo is loading, turn off the PC, in the next start-up you can hit the Automatic Repair

Also a good idea. I was afraid that I might have to take this step. But honestly, it may be the only option. Thanks!

Have you tried unplugging the computer physically from the power supply and then pressing the power button to just drain any power that's left in the system. The reason I ask is because a few years ago there was a particular version of the Linux Kernel which would stop the USB Xbox 360 controller from working even after rebooting into Windows and the only solution was to completely disconnect all power and power on fresh.

I'm not saying this is the same issue but it's worth a try if you haven't done so already.

A power cycle might be a good thing to try, especially since it's fairly easy to do, but I don't think it will solve the problem.

Have you tried unplugging the computer physically from the power supply and then pressing the power button to just drain any power that's left in the system. The reason I ask is because a few years ago there was a particular version of the Linux Kernel which would stop the USB Xbox 360 controller from working even after rebooting into Windows and the only solution was to completely disconnect all power and power on fresh.

I'm not saying this is the same issue but it's worth a try if you haven't done so already.

It is very unlikely that the issue of which you speak could go unnoticed for every USB device on the system. In fact, I have not heard mention of that particular issue before. Do you have a link to the Linux bug report or the commit that fixed it? If it actually is similar to this issue, the bug report could have some useful information.

Unplugging my desktop was actually the first thing I tried. Only because the electric company was over this past week to upgrade my electric meter on the side of the house. This of course knocked out my power for awhile. I keep my computer off when I am not using it, but hey... you never know. Thanks for the suggestion and info.

I meant to update this yesterday -

First thing I tried was to boot up a USB drive with Ubuntu and check the SSD health. According to the SMART info, everything was good.

Finally I grabbed my Windows CD and went into the Automatic Repair option. Based on my choices, I did a system restore from before my incident and everything is good now. I am stilly completely bewildered as to what happened ... so anywho... yea, looks like I have been healed!

Thanks guys