New real-money Xbox dash raises game prices

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:21

The price of games on Xbox Live will go up once the impending, in-beta-testing Xbox 360 dashboard update rolls out.

This update converts existing Microsoft Points into real-world, local currency, and does so the moment you try to buy something, a tipster told us. Unfortunately, beta testers are not warned this will happen.

1200 Microsoft Points converted into real money, however, no longer affords what a previously 1200MSP game now costs.

Said our tipster:
  • 1600MSP games are now £14.99; previously this was the equivalent of £13.60
  • 1200 MSP games are now £11.99, previously £10.20
  • 800 MSP games are now £8.99, an even bigger increase - previously this was £6.80
  • 400 MSP games are now £4.49, previously £3.20
As people have pointed out when sharing similar insights on Reddit, for example, this now brings Xbox Live prices in line with those on PSN.

Having your Microsoft Points converted at the existing rate and not in relation to the new prices will no doubt rankle with the community - particularly those who've accrued piles of Microsoft Points in anticipation of the transition, hunting down good deals on store-bought Microsoft Point cards.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment this morning but I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

BRB, gonna try and spend my 4,750 Microsoft Points...

#2 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:11

There are probably other things that come into play which adds to the cost, as the post points out the prices are no the same as on PSN so I'm thinking it's a tax thing maybe?  Oh well, people wanted real money on live right?  Well here you go.

#3 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:49

There are probably other things that come into play which adds to the cost, as the post points out the prices are no the same as on PSN so I'm thinking it's a tax thing maybe?  Oh well, people wanted real money on live right?  Well here you go.

How is it a tax thing? People had to buy points at a specific point per dollar/euro/pound before. So whatever "tax" there was was already accounted for in the exchange ratio. Was it not? I mean, that was the whole point of using the point system. A game was 800/1500 points everywhere, but different countries had different prices on the points to account for that kind of stuff.

I really don't see why Microsoft HAD to raise the prices. I'm pretty sure they did it because they thought they can get away with it.

#4 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:52

Not tax, they just raised the prices. The games are actually more expensive than Steam and PSN. Pure cash grab, can't be defended.

They are changing to real currency so people can spend across Windows/Windows Phone/Xbox with the same credit, not because people wanted it.

A mistake I hope but Microsoft have been on a roll lately so I imagine it is actually true.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:57

Not tax, they just raised the prices. The games are actually more expensive than Steam and PSN. Pure cash grab, can't be defended.

They are changing to real currency so people can spend across Windows/Windows Phone/Xbox with the same credit, not because people wanted it.

A mistake I hope but Microsoft have been on a roll lately so I imagine it is actually true.

did you read the article ? the prices are now IN LINE with the PSN prices. they where cheaper before because the points had certain built in rebates since it was a closed currency. 

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:03

How is it a tax thing? People had to buy points at a specific point per dollar/euro/pound before. So whatever "tax" there was was already accounted for in the exchange ratio. Was it not? I mean, that was the whole point of using the point system. A game was 800/1500 points everywhere, but different countries had different prices on the points to account for that kind of stuff.

I really don't see why Microsoft HAD to raise the prices. I'm pretty sure they did it because they thought they can get away with it.

No, they don't, some places pay tax on top of the specific point per dollar/euro/pound that MS sets.  The EU is one of those places.  It's been well known that Points are not the same value/cost in every place.  You can buy 800points in the US, depending on state, for one price and I could buy the same 800 points here in the EU and pay a good chunk more.   

Also, after looking into it a bit more, the whole reason MS went with points was to save on small credit card transaction fees that they have to pay.  Now I run a business, and I pay these fees,  If someone pays $50 to me using a credit card then after the fees are taken I end up with $49 since I have to pay a fixed 2% fee.  I'm sure this fee is different from place to place and so on so I think they're taking these fees into consideration.

#7 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:13

did you read the article ? the prices are now IN LINE with the PSN prices. they where cheaper before because the points had certain built in rebates since it was a closed currency. 

Not that clear cut.

The 8.99 games on Xbox can be 6.99/7.99 on PSN/Steam. 

#8 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:31

No, they don't, some places pay tax on top of the specific point per dollar/euro/pound that MS sets.  The EU is one of those places.  It's been well known that Points are not the same value/cost in every place.  You can buy 800points in the US, depending on state, for one price and I could buy the same 800 points here in the EU and pay a good chunk more.   

Also, after looking into it a bit more, the whole reason MS went with points was to save on small credit card transaction fees that they have to pay.  Now I run a business, and I pay these fees,  If someone pays $50 to me using a credit card then after the fees are taken I end up with $49 since I have to pay a fixed 2% fee.  I'm sure this fee is different from place to place and so on so I think they're taking these fees into consideration.

What on earth has that got to do with it.

Microsoft converted your points (VAT already included) on their current value - Fair

Microsoft raised prices of content on the marketplace - Not fair.

There is no magic tax and even if there was, it would be increased the same across the board but it wasn't. 33% increase, 15% increase, 10% increase.

All Microsoft had to do was convert points so 1200 points(£10.20) for example matched the new price of a 1200 point game (£11.99).

They are too greedy and thought they could get away with it.

#9 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:40

So those who bitched about Points being a pain? Have fun now. You ruined it for everyone.

#10 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:47

So those who bitched about Points being a pain? Have fun now. You ruined it for everyone.

MS made the change to real money, and MS has increased the price. But you know it's easier just to blame 'anonymous' people  :rofl:

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:50

MS made the change to real money, and MS has increased the price. But you know it's easier just to blame 'anonymous' people  :rofl:

Again, it was cheaper because it was a closed currency, you will see this with all similar closed currency system, both virtual and physical . 

#12 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:55

You always get discounted MSP from somewhere and it was not difficult to find 1600 MSP for say $15 instead of $20 ( actual price). How do you get discount on $20 now?
The prices are now in line with PSN now from what I understand.

#13 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:57

You always get discounted MSP from somewhere and it was not difficult to find 1600 MSP for say $15 instead of $20 ( actual price). How do you get discount on $20 now?
The prices are now in line with PSN now from what I understand.

The same way we always have on cards with credit - http://www.hotukdeal...ywords=PSN card

#14 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:11

You forgot to add /s at the end of your post.

#15 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 10 July 2013 - 14:40

Again, it was cheaper because it was a closed currency, you will see this with all similar closed currency system, both virtual and physical . 

:s care to explain this? Why do prices have to go up just because they are adopting real currency?

Everyone else uses real currency, the only reason to adopt a fictional currency which isn't 1:1 is to confuse consumers.